xisto Community
Darren0330

Hard Drive Trouble Windows crashing

Im having a problem with this computer I built, Its an asus board with 2 seagate 80gigs, I install winXP and it runs fine untill I get a random blue screen error and my CPU rebots, then winXP doesnt load. It says no harddrives detected (press F1) then the instert boot disk screen. This has done this to me a dozen times by now. I used to run the harddrives in raid conf. but I recently switched them on the board, now each drive is seperate. I dont get why it's doing that...?!? it always crashes 10 to 30 hours after I install windows. Anyone have any advise on this matter...???

Have you installed XP on both drives?Do both drives crash within 10 to 30 hours?By both drives I mean have you tried both drives as Primary.If both drives are doing the same thing then it is either your cable or the mother board itself.I am leaning on the mother board but the cheapest way would be to swap the cable first, then try a new drive, then try a new mother board.

I had a similar problem with my SCSI card. There I was able to simply swap out the card for another one of the same kind and the crashing (which under Linux was just the system freezing up every few minutes as the driver restarted the drives) Before you get another mobo, see if you can find a PCI drive controller. After all, if your IDE is the only thing broken, you really shouldn't have to replace the whole mobo...

Hi Darren.I agree with madcow.. probably your SCSI card is going bad.. If you don't already have a IDE connector on the mobo...go for a PCI slot IDE type hard drive controller.. lots cheaper than replacing the mobo. Hope this helpsRGPHNX