xisto Community
PretzelAddict2

Photography In College

I want to go to college for photography but I am not sure of where to go. I was hoping/wondering if anybody could help me sway my decision. Any colleges/universities in mind? All I can come up with is the University of North Texas. I can't go to a trade school though ($$$). Are there any other substitutions?

im from the UK so i cant really help you on that matter sorry :(gl with your search

Nice to see the Photography forum drawing a diverse variety of posts - but sorry, even I can't help you in your quest. I'm situated exactly at the other end of the world :( But good luck with you hunt - and if you feel like engaging in a discussion on anything to do with photography, you'll always find me here every-ready to do it :(Regards,m^e

Just about any college will have an art department that will offer either a major or emphasis in photography. Even my school, which was pretty much only engineering and agriculture (even though I graduated in education) offered an art BA with an emphasis on photographic art. While I don't know how reputable the program was, it still had a fairly good faculty.I know in the west coast, Brooks Institute of Photography is pretty well known, as are the various academies of art in and around San Francisco. Yes, they are pricy, but they have great names. And believe me, people do take note what college you graduated from.If you really want to break into photography, your best bet is to take any photography major from a well-known university. You can always try for scholarships from trade schools, but still, it'll cost a bundle. Oh, and ask yourself what specific type of photography you're trying to get into. If it's general portraiture or landscape, you can pretty much go anywhere. But if it's commercial or advertising, then you should really look at either LA or New York, with a slight chance of Miami pulling in 3rd.

What you should also look out for is what kind of syllabus they're offering, whether it's run-of-the-mill basic to advanced photography, or are they having many hands-on courses that would improve your photography by, maybe, dabbling in other types of fine art to help broaden your perspectives and stuff. My friend is entering an Australian university soon also to do Photography (they call it something else, media art or something), but the good point about that university is that it is well-known for having many contacts all over the world and then sending their students on internships with well-known studios and photographers to gain experience and to gain contacts. That way when you graduate you immediately can start working, based on the contacts you have built up through all the internships. You should look at universities that offer this type of exposure.