xisto Community
Cookiemonster1405241499

Win Xp: Network File Sharing file sharing over network

How would i get a folder to be shared over my home network. Because i keep having to send things through messenger witch gets really anoying.Any suggestions will be helpful.

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

its a pretty simple process, go to the folder you want to share, right click on it, and go to properties, in properties, there are a bunch of tabs, click on the sharing tab, and check the box that says share this file on the network. then just click ok. If you wwant ot get it from the other computer, the best way is to search for it, else you can find it in the network folder. good luck :(

What operating system are you using? Which version? If you are doing it through windows, the directions are in the help system. If you are using another operating system, please let me know.YB

he is talking about XP - its quite easy to set up a network using this operating system. Make sure ur firewalls etc arnt denying internet sharing as well.

USB sticks r so handy! - im gunna have to get 1 i dunno y i havnt allready - they make backing up so quick and painless

How would i get a folder to be shared over my home network. Because i keep having to send things through messenger witch gets really anoying.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well the simplest way would of course to be to share the folder...

Right click on the folder and go to properties > click on sharing > 'Share this folder" and then if you have bigtime security setup on your network, put in the computers/ users that may access the folder you have shared...

All in all it would take you about a minute to set this up...

All the best...

Rashid Ahmed

Make sure you have the guest account enabled (in Computer Management > Users and Groups > Users, not the one in User Accounts in the Control Panel), or you'll be prompted with a log in form every time you try to access the folder from another computer.

Does everyone in my network have to have remote assistance on or remote desktop because if so it can be dangerous to have them running as you can get hacked through that way. well i think any way.Im running windows xp professional with sp2 and McAfee anti virus full

I know it's also usefull to add your computer to the network. (that's what I usually do). And if you want to share, both computers have to be on...