xisto Community
Cookiemonster1405241499

Is Your Internet Speed Good Enough Vs. Cost ?

Here in Pakistan, i have a 128k "broadband" connection which i pay $25 per month, and for $35 i can get 256k. Only problem is, my actual connection speed is generally between 2k and 20k, maybe maybe on a very good day i'll hit 50k. And that's only when it's working. I'd estimate internet uptime at around 40%.Can it get much worse than that? :P

Looks like many older people (my parent's age or older....sorry Mom!) tend to get an internet provider and stick with it, no matter what!

It was the same for my mum, she point blank refused to change from dial up (even though it was much more expensive than broadband (because she was paying by minute and for an extra line) until the company she was with went purely broadband and she was forced off of it, lol. Not that she really uses it anyway.

I pay about $20 (USD) for broadband. Don't really get why the prices around my area are cheaper than most that I've seen above. :( I've heard that our area is offering free wireless Internet....though. So paying is pointless.

@Brian, $9.95 for dial-up isn't so bad. My dad used to pay that (NetZero), until we decided to switch to NetZero high speed. NZHS was a major rip-off. Sometimes websites would load slower because of the high speed function and I often had to turn off 'high speed' for things to load quicker. 'Twas sad. Yeah, I do agree that change is harder for many older users. But for my parents...well, they weren't getting ripped off by dial-up companies or anything, so switching to broadband was just normal price.

My Internet connection's not too bad. It's just my computer that's slow. :(

do you think you are paying too much for your internet and not getting the proper speed, i had it once when i was on adsl but now have moved to proper broadband now witch is 4mb witch is really fast. like that uk online its too good to be that speed at its price but ill keep with who im with. biggrin.gif

I think for most people it kind of depends on how they use the Internet. If they're doing heavy surfing (like if they're a power user of the Internet), then getting dial-up would probably be worth the price. On the other hand, if they just surf for fun, it might not matter as much as long as the dial-up price is cheap and not a rip-off. Edited by Arbitrary (see edit history)

WEll, I pay about 300 RS (PK) for an Extreme dialup per/month and i am gettingonly 8 KBPS/ SEC Can you guys imagine? ISP's Prices are very High here in Pakistan. Poor people cant afford these high tec prices. :( and i am one of them :(..We have DSL Running in Our Area but you'll have to pay about 2 US Dollar for 30 minutes only and cablenet Sucks in Pakistan and DSL is not very Common what can you do?

I've got cable right now, a 128k connection from Worldcall, and really, for an always-on connection, i'm actually online maybe 40% of the time, and usually at speeds that are the same as your extreme dial-up, hellraiser, though as u know i split it between 6 comps, so really i have no speed. but for that i'm paying what? 25$ per month. definitely not worth it. Cybernet now has DSL here so that's who I'm going with, at 35$ per month for the 256k line, with a 2 GB monthly cap. But the fastest i've seen in Khi is 512k, even for businesses. Like i go to this internet cafe when my line is down, they boast a "highest speed in Karachi net cafe", and what do they have? 256k.

I've got cable right now, a 128k connection from Worldcall, and really, for an always-on connection, i'm actually online maybe 40% of the time, and usually at speeds that are the same as your extreme dial-up, hellraiser, though as u know i split it between 6 comps, so really i have no speed. but for that i'm paying what? 25$ per month. definitely not worth it. Cybernet now has DSL here so that's who I'm going with, at 35$ per month for the 256k line, with a 2 GB monthly cap. But the fastest i've seen in Khi is 512k, even for businesses. Like i go to this internet cafe when my line is down, they boast a "highest speed in Karachi net cafe", and what do they have? 256k.

Hmmm. Worldcall is good, their cable tv + Cablenet both these services are awesome.By the way why do you need such speed like 128K? as you said you split it between 6 PCs.. Hmmm So almost 22 kbps for each PC? Right? Are you running any Cyber cafe? :( I've heard that Warid Telecom is going to launch ISP.
I am using Multi-net these days and Multinet is the leading DSL Provider as compared to Cybernet.
and what are you doing on Xisto? :( have you ever been to Khatri's Cafe the one in Clifton?
you'll get more than 512 K in Khatris Cafe.

I think people really should help out countries like Pakistan to get their Internet up to par with everyone else. Like, dial-up is almost non-existent in Canada.

xboxrulz

after u finish pakistan, please come to egypt so u can help here too, we pay nearly 20 dollars per month here just for 256 kb connection, and in fact you get less than 128 kb connection, you can pay nearly 150 dollars here to get 2 MB Connection :S

i have a 2.0 adsl connection, i pay 35 euros per month, wich must go around 50 dollars i guess, and it sux because although they say its 200 kbps, i only get aroung 70 kbps, i called the guys and they say anything above 25 is "regular"this pisses me off, but then again i tell you all, do you think you have the speed you pay for ? try to download some utility programs scatered around the net that really tell you connection speed, youll be surprised how much you are being robbed.

Hmmm. Worldcall is good, their cable tv + Cablenet both these services are awesome.By the way why do you need such speed like 128K? as you said you split it between 6 PCs.. Hmmm So almost 22 kbps for each PC? Right? Are you running any Cyber cafe? :( I've heard that Warid Telecom is going to launch ISP.I am using Multi-net these days and Multinet is the leading DSL Provider as compared to Cybernet.
and what are you doing on Xisto? :( have you ever been to Khatri's Cafe the one in Clifton?
you'll get more than 512 K in Khatris Cafe.

well my connection doesn't work most of the time. the cable tv part works all the time, but not the internet. also with others i know who have worldcall, they have the same problems. Even the Standard Chartered Bank branch near me uses it and they told me that half the time it doesn't work either.
see, worldcall gives me 128k, but that's not all mine. it's shared between me and 9 other users. really, like where do you come up with in idea like that. so if no one else happens to be on, i'll get the full 128k, but if they are also using the internet, my total speed drops to 10%, which is 12.8 k, and now if i divide that by 6, i've got an average of 2k, if and when the internet is actually up. with the DSL, on the other hand, it'll be fully 256k mine. I could look into multinet as well though. I never tried Khatri's. I tried the cafes there once when i needed to send a huge file urgently, and the servers were all down. So I found the 256k one in Zamzama. If it's 512k though, definitely i'll be checking into that. If and when Warid launches their ISP, that will be one thing that will help Pakistan get off the ground in the IT sector, since they'll be offering their own internet line, and not just parcelling out the PTCL internet line.
No internet cafe, i simply work from home.
As far as what companies tell you vs. what your speed actually is, I've been told that a general rule of thumb for what your actual speed will be is roughly 35% of what is advertised for downloads, and 15% for uploads.

I think im the slowest here then :( I pay $18.27 for a 230kbps wireless EDGE connection. It's enough for my needs but sometimes is slow.

Oh? and what about my 12.8k connection? plus all those here on dialup. I would LOVE to have that connection you have.