xisto Community
Cookiemonster1405241499

Is Your Internet Speed Good Enough Vs. Cost ?

do you think you are paying too much for your internet and not getting the proper speed, i had it once when i was on adsl but now have moved to proper broadband now witch is 4mb witch is really fast. like that uk online its too good to be that speed at its price but ill keep with who im with. :(

Notice from m^e:
Try and keep your topic titles more relevant to your post content. This is the 4th post by you that I've had to edit the title. Your title should at least try convey an overall gist of your post - or else you'll never get good response, nor will your post show up on search engines. One or two words titles like Mysql, networking etc.. wouldn't even elicit any decent response from the readers. Most would just ignore your posts.
Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

I have NTL 3mb connection - i think i pay 39.99 a month for it - from wots around at the moment i see it as reasonable.

right now, my parents are paying 20 bucks per month for 28.8 dial up. They could be paying 20 bucks more, and getting roughly 100X more speed than what we are getting now. We are getting ripped off.

Holy S*** - 20 bucks a month for 28.8 ?? OMG!! Dude you're being massively ripped off. Here in Thailand we pay approx. 700 Baht ( 17.5USD ) for a 1 meg ADSL link. Do something about it real quick. Break you modem, rip off your phone line or something similar - do some extensive damage to the connecting mechanism that your folks are forced to switch over to the better alternative :( Tell them, you had a talk with your modem and told it about the kind of speeds other modems handle, and yours got extremely shocked and died of shame.. - that'd be the perfect excuse :(Regards,m^e

I pay about 80 US bucks for a 2.5meg broadband connection. The quality is good, but I wish the price could be cheaper. It's expensive here in Singapore because the cables are owned by a duopoly. But wireless broadband is going to be offered here real quick and I expect prices to drop drastically. That's the merit of competition.

wow jcguy - that really is expensive!sweden is the best country to live in i think - its 1 huge lan! gr8 connections speeds and prices over there!

I have my adsl 128kbps (realy 168) for something about 19$there was funny situation when I was able to choose betwean this and dial-up (56) so the answer was easy...

In Singapore...the maximium internet connection speed is only a 25MB per second cable connection by Starhub and that 25MB is only a fraction of what the ISPs here can provide. In fact, there are only three...SingNet, Starhub and Pacific Internet that is providing residental internet service. The plan itself costs S$112.50 if I am not wrong and and the access time is unlimited.I pay for a SingNet 256KBps but I don't know if there is a possibility that it has been upgraded to 512KBps and I pay $56.90 for it monthly. Compared to what other countries are getting, I think internet plans are one of the most expensive in Singapore.

well my perants pay £50.00 a month for a 4mb from Telewest Broadband. It does not use adsl, also i dont know what it does use lol , think it uses its own 1.Ok admin im sorry, ill try to get my posts right next time :( and why does it say i have 10mb used and i havent used anythink yet lol.

re: $20 for 28.8 connectionLooks like many older people (my parent's age or older....sorry Mom!) tend to get an internet provider and stick with it, no matter what!A friend of mine told me about a 67 year old woman who keeps going back to AOL for dial up at the high price of $24 per month. The woman has many choices of a more reasonable dial up isp, but she is used to AOL. Change is hard for many older computer users, but it doesn't mean they shouldn't try.I know a woman in the boonies of Virginia who has one choice, dial up. She says she lives in an area where everything is long distance and DSL is only a treat she gets on vacation when the hotel has wireless. She currently pays $9.95 for her close to 43.3 dial up and is content. She did miss wireless once she got home from vacation.I've heard rates in other countries can be higher than the US, but from the posts here, it looks like some of their rates beat the ones I've heard about locally.If you have cable or satellite tv, then the price of tacking on a faster internet connection is less. If watching tv isn't something you're interested in, then spend the dollars on the net!

i thought of coming back and adding this in:

While I'm using a 1Meg ADSL link here in Thailand and I was feeling lucky - I was amazed to hear recently, that my home country India, is one of the FIRST ever to offer ADSL2 - which offers download speeds upto at least 25MB/s - and right now, only U.S. and India are the ONLY two countires in the whole wide world offering these standards. The rest are busy implementing it yet - most will get it done sometime later this year. Now, I've been out of my home for almost past 5 years, and I'm extremely impressed to hear about such fantastic developments in the communications front... In fact, even when I was back home, I'd worked in the Network Design section of a company named Reliance Telecom, India which was setting up a 3 Terrabyte Fibre Optic backbone all over the country, which was to (possibly) link every home/office all over the country through high-grade copper core wires joining up with the main FDDI backbone through certain ports known as the MAN or Metropolitain Access Nodes. I'm overjoyed to hear that all of it has worked out for the better and this post is simply to share the delight with you guys ...

Regards,

m^e

My parents pay around $40 a month for cable with download speeds of up to 512 kilobytes per second and upload speeds of 64 kilobytes per second. It's pretty fast, but I would have liked higher bandwidth limits. The upload limit is currently at 10 GB, although they don't really seem to do anything about it if you do go over.

My parents pay around $40 a month for cable with download speeds of up to 512 kilobytes per second and upload speeds of 64 kilobytes per second. It's pretty fast, but I would have liked higher bandwidth limits. The upload limit is currently at 10 GB, although they don't really seem to do anything about it if you do go over.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

$40 for 512kb upload? Wow, my parents only pay 15 euro for twice that amount, and I don't find it very fast.

My parents pay 50 euro a month (60,66USD) for a 4mb down 1mb up cable connection. It's good quallity. Never down, speed is good. No download limit. Only my router sucks. :lol: