xisto Community
LikMeBalleFM

Help With Maxtor HDD

I need some help My problem is the following.I`m nearly at full capacity HD wise,and no money for new HD`s and I remembered I had an old IMac laying around of which the monitor is broken.And opened my mac and ripped out it`sHD it`s a " Maxtor 91020U3 10GB ".I plugged it in my WinXP PC and at start-upXP recognized it but when I went to "My Comp"it showed my C: drive and D: drive but the one I just plugged in which XP recognizedwasn`t there.I was expecting some troublebut I didn`t expect that it wouldn`t evenshow up.Is this because of the Mac OS that`sinstalled on it and is it possible to bypassthis?I want to recover some mp3 of of it andafterwards format it to use as storage HD,cansomeone please help me with this?ThnX in advance El.

Hey El.I think MacOS uses a different Filesystem as windows, which can be the reason why you can't see it. I mean, I've had a similar situation but then with linux on the other drive... So it never worked. If the FS isn't FAT32, NTFS or even FAT16, win won't find it I think... Although I also doubt it would find FAT16 LOL

Right click on My Computer and select ManageClick on Disk Managment, Then look for the Mac drive you installed. (it will not have a drive letter) You should be able to right click on the drive and create a partition or format.Once formatted with the correct win type will it show under My Computer with a drive letter.Hope this helps.

If you still have your Windows XP Install Disc, you can setup the hard drive so that Windows will recognize it (even in you rcurrent computer, no need for another Mac). However, all data will be lost on the disc. Put your XP install disc into the computer and reboot, choosing to boot from the CD. Choose a new install, and when you come to the screen where you need to select a partition to install on, highlight the partition on the Mac disc (it will probably be of unknown type). At the bottom of the screen, several options will be listed, choose delete. Delete the partition and it will be listed as raw. Then select the partition and format it as NTFS, and restart the computer without actually installing Windows. That should fix your problem.~Viz

Right click on My Computer and select Manage

Click on Disk Managment, Then look for the Mac drive you installed. (it will not have a drive letter) You should be able to right click on the drive and create a partition or format.

Once formatted with the correct win type will it show under My Computer with a drive letter.

Hope this helps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It shure did man ThnX

(had to let go of the mp3`s tho

ah well....)

EDIT :

@ vizskywalker thanks man had the problem solved while you were posting I guess but thanks anyway.

One!

I think Norton PartitonMagic 8.0 could have done the job without problems :( I use it when resizing, moving, deleting, formating or doing some other actions with my partitions. Really good tool.

Okay, to sum up so ElfoReal doesn't have to keep saying it: Klass's suggestion worked, problem solved. Keep that in mind, the simplest answer is usually the best.ElfoReal, glad we could be of help.~Viz