xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Bob

Pc Hardrive To Laptop Data Transfer?

Is there anyway to transfer data from a standard PC slave drive to a laptops hardrive without having the PC HDD installed in a PC? I realise this is a somewhat silly question as the HDD would need to be powered somehow. I just dont want to have to track down a PC just so I can grab a few Gigs of data off of it.

usually you have to connect both of the computers while they are running and have to use a program to tranfer a hd to another computer, if you are just looking to get somethings off of your hd im sure you could just hook it up to a friends comp and then burn it onto a disk.

1. Network transfer, get a basic cat-5 cable and connect the 2 computers over either a crossover hub or just directlyl. and 2. (the eaiser way) find a internal-external harddrive converter "case" (you hook your hd up to it and its a little case that is usually firewire and comes with usb cabels (dosen't really lead to "Tearing everything up", just unhooking 2 cabels, un mounting the drive, and retreve the information, then re-mount re connect, and vouala, your done.)

Network transfer is impossible as I have just a hard drive and a laptop. NO PC. Like I said, all I want is to be able to get data off of this hard drive vithout having to find someone willing to let me put it in there pc.The second option I may try as I could then just keep the hdd as a usb hdd.