xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Sly Fox

Guild Wars Not The Average Mmorpg

Wow. When I first played Guild Wars it seemed pretty cool. But after going through the entire game and reaching max level within a week, I didn't know what to do. Most MMORPGs take a long time to reach the max level and most people never even reach it, but in this new type of MMO you reach it right away. Arenanet is focusing on the PvP aspect of guild wars, and guild warfare. Lots of people are complaining about the lack of roleplay involved, but Arenanet just keeps telling them this isn't a game that focuses on roleplaying, it is a game that focuses on PvP and cooperative game-play. This new type of game takes some getting use to. I'm not really sure how long this game will last, pure PvP is only fun for so long. I hope they are working to think up new ideas to keep the game alive. But so far the game is staying fun, competition for guild ranks is always active. The game could use some more armors and weapon variations. Each class has about 3-4 different types of armor. As you get to places to buy new armor, it looks the same, has the same name, but just has more defense. I think new graphics and names would spice it up a bit. But if you are a hardcore roleplayer and like to maybe hang out on games and go fishing or do side activities, this game isn't for you. There are no activities you can do besides PvE, PvP, Trading, and /dancing. But if your just into fighting other people and kicking butt in team battles (not to mention various types of battles like king of the hill, and capture the relic), this game is what you've been waiting for.

Umm, you do know Guild Wars isn't an MMORPG. This review is kind of dumb giving GW the honor of being called an mmorpg, it may be a mmo, but not only can it not be a mmorpg, but i found the game way to easy, even for a non-Hardcore roleplayer. It just lacks stuff to do, you just quickly level up, theres not a wide selection of items. Theres no real value to the game, (probaly why it is free, since it will die out soon enough). I suggest you find a game like MU online, Rose online, Supreme Destiny, Knight online, The short trial (until jan-14-06) of Anarchy Online, Racing mmo "Team Revolution", Worms-like mmo "Gunbound", akward but some what cool mmo "Outpost", Runescape, Better type of Runescape (and one of the first ones of the type) Dragon Raja, Old MMORPG "T4C" (Or The Fourth Coming), Private servers of L2 (Lineage2), WoW (World of Warcraft), CoH (City of Heros), EQ 1-2 (EverQuest 1-2). Oddily enough The Sims online, and the old EA classic "MCO" (Motor City Online which was stuipidly canceled when it had 200,000 people playing it,you could customize everything on your cars in it, thats where EA brought the idea of NFS UnderGround) and don't say that the Private servers are illeagle because in the agreements of those it doesen't say you can't do that. That means, make as many private servers as you want. Ultimatly Guild Wars does provide somthing sort of unique, It is one of the only MMo's which it's only point is to pvp and it is quite fun and will satisfy some of the more dumbed down gamers who don't want to use a minute of their lives to go throught an easy tutorial to learn how to play. Instead you go through a little help screen that says this is the game enjoy and your pretty much off to go. So for anyone who wants a good game I woulden't recommend it but for people who don't really have to think what intensive spell I want to use against what mob that will mostlikely kill me in one hit, go for it download the game. I can not express myself enough times to say that, the game gets tireing very quickly since there is the repetitive, level your character to the highest level in less than a day, and then pvp, and pvp some more, and buy some crappy armor, and pvp some more, and finnaly PVP MORE. expecially since you have a little amount of cool weaponry and, a very very low and crappy amount of armor. To me this game is a boring 3 out of 10

Hey you know, i've been waiting for these types of reviews for a looong time. I see reviews of fansites and unofficial sites and i get bored - "Wow, its COOL!!!" is what i see everywhere. But all of you really punched it out real hard. Personally, I'm one who prefers side activities such as fishing, a little mini-game, maybe even playing hide and seek in the game itself. I'm not one who fights but more of one who slacks in the game, slowly levels up and buys armour when you can. I hate to train and especially when it's boring to train. I was kinda shocked when i learned the max level for GW is 20. I never played the beta but i kinda know how it feels to play it after playing games like Rose Online or Conquer online, or maybe even runescape. This is the reason why i like MUDs which are text-based games. They're pretty cool if you know how to play them. You get LOTS of role-play. The possibilites are almost endless. If you wanna be a scholar, be one! If you wanna be a fighter, be one! If you wanna be a lover of nature, be one! You can also begin your life in Achaea as a fisherman and live that life throughout without ever having to fight those HUGE strong monsters. Now that you all said it, i feel like cancelling my order for Guild Wars because it is not my kinda game. Even a friend of mine played it for a week and started slacking with other games because it's not very fun if you have no friends around. Maybe at max I'll buy the US$39.99 version of it (cheapest one), although its still really expensive for just one game. Besides, I'm a game hopper and never EVER stay in one game for more than a year (well...except for MUDs of course :P )

I'd really love to purchase this game but I don't want to pay the hefty price of $50. When I used to work at Wal-Mart we had it for $31.99 and I thought the normal price then was going to be $40 but, I was very wrong. I regret not buying it when we had it for $31.99.

Ok, time for me to get fried, I know this is gonna happen but ok. The hole point of this game is that you don't have to do the "lvling grind" also to help eliminate PKing and lvl the battle feild in PvP so that the fighting is more skill based then, "I've got the biggest baddest sword, armor, ring, belt, ect..." and make it more about my team has practiced and works well and my guild has put in the time and knows how to work together.As for side stuff, I'm sure it will eventually come, they release new quests and explorable areas on a semi-regular basis. This is a ever evolving game, with a ever evolving community. Give it time, this game may last a year and die, but I think it will be one of the first of its type and might even change the MMO forever.We will just have to watch and see.

The game is slowly getting more features added to it and with the next big rollout that is supposed to happen sometime this summer, then the first expansion pack that is rumored to be released early to mid next year there are supposed to be more ways to individualize your character. Unlike other games I've played or heard of how many give out addons like the D2:LoD expansion for free. Thats whats happening this summer, NCSoft and Arena.net are rolling out 2 new areas to play with new quests, and they have already added new area's since the games launch. This will be the second major expansion of the game since its launch, they have already added 2 new area's to explore and many new quests.

Hmm..guildwars is a great game nonetheless. but for a standard mmorpg, GW deviates from this and you can consider this game as a competitive online rpg~ It is a game where players engage in cooperative group combat in missions or in guild battles. Another good thing for this game was its visuals. The graphics were amazing. Having played in the World of Warcraft stress test, I find Guild War’s graphics to be better. The models seem to have a higher polygon count and even playing with the graphics quality set on low it was still beautiful. As for the content, the missions were pretty good making you want to play more and finish the storyline. People who’ve finished the missions had a lot to do since the guild versus guild was very fun and relies much on strategy. Overall, Guild Wars is a great new game once you see past its being a non-MMORPG that a lot of people are used to. While this might not be the game for people wanting to play the standard MMORPG it nevertheless is an amazing game that can only get better in future patches :D

Well on September 7th they released the latest update to the game adding in 2 new explorable areas, lots of new quest, both in the new areas and through out the whole world. They have also done massive balancing to the characters and are about to do some sort of major sponsoured tournament. If you haven't checked out the game now would be a great time to do so, the graphics are great, the gameplay is great, and their are plunty of guilds out there that can help ya out and get ya into the GvG/PvP scene.

Well I am glad that you guys posted your opinions about this game, I was thinking of getting it but it sounds like it would only be really challenging if you had a team of friends challenging other teams. And since it is P-v-P it would probably get boring for me pretty quickly.

While it's tempting to compare Guild Wars to any number of other fantasy-themed role-playing games, there's really never been anything quite like it before. It innovatively and successfully combines many of the best, most addictive properties of action RPGs, online RPGs, and competitive multiplayer games in one beautifully produced package, which offers a tremendous lasting value yet none of the monthly fees typically associated with online-only games. The first title from developer ArenaNet, Guild Wars threatens the entire online RPG establishment with its bold design. More importantly, it's a very impressive game that's rewarding on many different levels and can be tremendously appealing for any number of reasons.In Guild Wars, you play as a hero from Ascalon, your typical fantasy province that's fallen on hard times, thanks to relentless assaults from fearsome creatures called the charr. Ascalon seems huge and wondrous as you begin to explore it and its outskirts. But it turns out to be literally just a tiny portion of the richly detailed and shockingly gigantic world of Tyria, which you'll explore during the course of an adventure that's truly epic. Meanwhile, the other half of the game consists of competitive battles between teams of players, set in various types of arena events. It's action packed, it's tactical, and it's sporting. It's definitely more involved than a pick-up-and-play first-person shooter, but it's relatively easy to learn and certainly difficult to master. Unlike many other online RPGs, which often take a lot of flak from their audiences for lacking a definitive endgame, Guild Wars gives the impression that it was built with the endgame competition as a primary concern. However, one of its big surprises is just how much noncompetitive content there is. Even if you have no interest in player-versus-player battling whatsoever, Guild Wars will still provide you with more than 100 hours of quality gameplay, which you can tackle either alone or together with other players pretty much every step of the way.The core gameplay in Guild Wars is reminiscent of action RPGs like the Diablo series. It lets you navigate countless big, winding maps filled with enemies and treasure, and combat is frequent and fast. You can't climb or fall from ledges, so at times, the design of the maps feels pretty contrived. However, the generally linear layout mostly just helps to keep you focused. The game's interface is clean and intuitive, and offers a few neat perks like a minimap that you can scribble on to help you communicate with your team. You have free reign over the camera perspective, so you may choose to play from a first-person viewpoint all the way on out to a bird's-eye view. Although, a third-person behind-the-back angle seems to deliver the best of both worlds, because you'll get a close look at the game's gorgeous graphics and plenty of room to see on your character's periphery. When you see an enemy (whether it's a computer-controlled creature or an opposing player), you may target it with a hotkey or a mouse click, and then attack it with your ranged or melee weapons. Most of your combat will be focused on using your different skills, though.You can have exactly eight skills readied at a time, which correspond to the number keys on your keyboard. Which eight skills you bring to battle and which skills you discover during your adventure is really at the heart of what makes Guild Wars such a compelling experience. It's what levels the playing field in PvP and keeps the action manageable even when things get really intense. Each of the game's six character classes has 150 unique skills, and each one has its own little icon graphic, description, and purpose. For the most part, skills are not inherently better or worse than other skills--they're just different. Depending on how you've developed your character or your role in a player team, the skills will be better or worse for your circumstances. Many skills have obvious uses, while many are much more specific to certain types of situations. Some will serve you better when exploring the role-playing portion of the game, while others will be better suited to PvP battling against real opponents. It's definitely an interesting selection process. It shares a lot in common with collectible card games, and similarly offers a very satisfying reward whenever you discover that great, new skill that makes you feel much stronger while also causing you to make significant changes to your overall strategy. Guild Wars' skill system is a resounding success.Creating a character is a quick, straightforward process of choosing a gender, appearance, and character class. You'll quickly notice the game's striking character design right from this point. Even prior to that, though, you're asked to make an important choice: whether to build a standard role-playing character or a player-versus-player-specific character. If you choose the former, you start out as a first-level neophyte on a foreboding day in Ascalon's history. And if you choose the PvP option, you skip all the way through the 100-odd hours of questing and storyline and begin with a high-level character decked out with powerful equipment. He or she can then jump right into some competitive matches, but cannot participate in any cooperative gameplay. The idea behind these two options is pretty obvious. Players who'd rather not muck around with leveling up and pretentious fantasy storytelling needn't even bother with it, and they can instead jump straight into the competitive game. Or, players who want to get their feet wet before diving into PvP combat, or who want to ignore PvP entirely, may do so during the course of the adventure. It's not quite this cut and dried, though, because Guild Wars wants you to experience both aspects of the game, regardless of whether you think you do or not. Specifically, if you cut straight to the PvP, you'll find that the vast majority of the different character classes' skills are locked away, waiting to be discovered during the course of the role-playing portion. Custom weapon parts can also be found in the campaign, which can later be used in PvP.So, it's possible that players expecting Guild Wars to be a light and breezy experience will be disappointed, because this is a deep, enthralling, and potentially very time-consuming game. While combat in Guild Wars rewards skillful planning and coordination between players, many of the best Guild Wars players will surely be the ones who invest the largest number of hours into the game--not only honing their talents, but also seeking out the best skills and equipment in the role-playing portion. Fortunately, the role-playing portion is on equal footing with the PvP, so chances are you'll enjoy the opportunity to experience both, and appreciate the game all the more for it.The Good: Well-designed, interesting skill system and action-packed combat; tons of content--huge volume of cooperative and competitive activities; lavish presentation makes the whole world of the game look alive; technically marvelous--runs fast and smooth, loads almost instantly; has something for just about everyone.The Bad: It can be difficult to find a good group of willing players for cooperative missions; the gameworld is beautiful, but lacks cohesion.