xisto Community
nidahasa

Why Is Installing Redhat Linux Difficult?

Redhat (or more properly now, Fedora, unless you are talking about the enterprise edition) is that that difficult to install. The only major difference between a Redhat install and a Windows install is that Redhat requires the user to create and choose various partitions for various things, whereas Windows didn't use to, but does now. Also, Redhat requires you to setup a bootloader, which Windows doesn't. The Redhat website has an excellent manual designed just to help people install Redhat or Fedora, and makes the installation process a breeze.~Viz

In other words, Linux gives more options dureing install.but can select default if they confuse you. more freedom can be confusing to some, but its not a bad thing.Remember, Installing Linux is the equivelant to installing Windows, Office, Servers, Security, games, multimedia, development tools, cimpilers, and everything else, all at the same time.Windows is just an Operating System, Linux is an all in one monster operating suite.

I remember it being a bit daunting the first time i installed a linux distro (I actually think it was an old red hat...maybe) But regardless, as long as you take your time, read everything carefully, and think about the choices, you should be able to manage the more popular distros installers.Frankly Red Hat/Fedora just boils down to partitioning and package choices... as was said the defaults are enough (I assume always) to have the basics, but I still suggest going through and installing everything that you know what it is if you think you might want it, makes for an easier experience once you are into the OS (since if u are new to linux you may wnt to have some basics abilities before learning about more in depth configuration and whatnot).There are some distros that give you very limited options, but those are basically equivalent to choosing "install everything" since they just load up everything that distro has to offer. Which reminds me, when installing , if you have the HD space, why not install everything available? Makes the install a breeze and then you have a killer amount of apps to play with right at the get-go.

i think installing any Linux Distro is a piece of cake unless u want to have a dual boot XP/Linux system. IMO a good Linux Distro should be easy to install with default options selected. If you chode Fedora Workstation Install on a formatted harddrive its preety darn easy. Install process for SuSe and Mandrake are better than Fedora,RedHat

I dont think either of Fedora or Redhat are that difficult to install - I've installed both loads of times recently, and almost at every other step, you're presented with options to do stuff automatically - like auto-partition, auto-select packages based on what mode you want to run the system in (Server/Workstation etc.) - as qwiji pointed out since Windows hardly presents you with options while installation, it seems pretty easy to the users, and when they face all these on Linux it becomes quite scary... But I'd say any day that the Linux installers these days are, if not easier, at least at far with the Windows ones (forget about being way wayyy more advanced - we're talking about the ease of install here).. In between once, I was installating Mandrake 10+ while it was still Mandrake - and I found their installer ultra easy - perfectly designed for the home/desktop user - and very similar to Windows, in the step-by-step method it handled the installation process.

It's not as easy as SuSE or Mandrake to install and configure, but it's not exactly hard either... Still, I'd reccomend either of the two distros I mentioned over Fedora/Red Hat any day.

All right people, Yes Linux is must easier to install than Windows but that doesn't make it unique...its the way it runs.Linux (any Distro) is the most stable OS that is available anywhere. Windows crashes way too much for Bill Gates to have any money in the bank let alone be one of the richest people in the world...