xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
warbird1405241485

My First Siggie what do you think

well.. i dont really like it at all.. but i do understand that it isnt finished yet so..i will take a look when its done..might change my mindideas..hum..well it definatly needs more detail then just 3 cutout figers on a dark grey background... and the text is completely unreadable.just my thoughts on it...not like they matter..

Well first off you dont need any one elses ideas thats the fun in designing you do what you want, if you take some one elses ideas ... not really your design. But any ways if its your first image you really need to spend some time playing and testing out you graphics programe. get the feel for it see what you can do , maybe read some tutorials, get the basics of it all. aThose cut outs horrible, ( just telling you , its a good thing ) , and second they are dark cut outs on a dark background, i can hardle see them. Try to imagin what you want to design instead of pointing and clicking with your fingures crossed. Although some times that does pay off. Basicly your new to making images so there gonna be crappy for awhile, no offence but a graphics designer is only as good as the knowledge about his proggy. The more you experiment, the more you read , the more time you spend with it it will show.Good luck, and that ones alot better than my first ... we wont speak about it.

i answered your reply to my work... but i shall post it in here too so ya dont have to go over and click stuff haha..I like it, its not bad for your first siggy... dont worry though, my first photoshop pics were not that great, you just keep playing around with the stuff, dont be afraid to ask people who know more than you questions, and check out tutorials on different things and you will no doubt get even better. Showing people your stuff and gettin their opinions is a great way to improve :(i would suggest on your sig to add something to the background... or make the characters and text in your sig fill up the whole background... see if that helps make you not think its horrible :(

Yes, you definately need some texture to the background. It's just that the background takes up so much of the sig, seeing as how the subjects are small. Maybe you could make them bigger, or add another subject, maybe a larger one that would be behind your current subjects. Or, you could add some design or something to the background, or a texture (via a Bevel and Emboss Texture).Also, you should add a border. It doesn't have to be anything major, just something to create a distiction between your sig and the background of the webpage. Just a single-pixel-wide black border would suffice.Those are just suggestions, you don't have to do anything if you don't want to. Good luck in your future Photoshoppings! :lol:

Yeah I completely agree with everyone else. Playing around with effects etc and reading tutorials will really help. When i first started I assumed it would be easy... how wrong I was. I gave up after a few minutes cause it wasn't working. Later that week I went online, read soem tutorials and that really helped... so yeah read about your program as much as possible.Okay about your image... it deffently needs some work. The dark cut-outs on grey back one, not really working for you. And the text needs some work. Firstly work on a background, just experiment with filters, see what you can do. Then work on perhaps getting better images on enlarging and brightening those ones up. Then just muck around with program effects etc until you get something you like. :lol:

i dont realy like it.you can see you just cutout some one elses design (of the models) and pasted it on a gray background.. if thats all, i dont call it an signature !more work ! harder work ! there are enough cool tuts on this forum to learn you how

Yes, yes. Most everyone has mentioned the major things. You need a little more contrast and more stuff. It's just too blank. ^_- Play around with differnet kinds of backgrounds and don't be afraid to make the pictures big - it doesn't matter if parts of it get cut off. It's better to make them bigger and more visible.

Well first off you dont need any one elses ideas thats the fun in designing you do what you want, if you take some one elses ideas ... not really your design.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just my 2 cents on this quickly ~ if you never got the opinion of anyone else, you could be creating something that, in your eyes, was a magnificent work of art, yet to others it would be hidious. It is by listening to the input of others that we grow as artists. Although the idea that if you never got help from someone else, you might come up with something altogether new and beautiful due to not being limited by your current knowledge is intriguing...

Back to the topic:

It's your first, and you probably gave it a good effort, which is commendable. But it is by no means a masterpiece. The main flaws, as others have pointed out, is that you have a dark-on-dark design, with no way of setting the renders out from the background, and that the background is disinteresting. The cutting out of figures only comes with practice; as you do it more often, you get better. A tip I can offer though is in the way I cut out a render (this is when using Adobe Photoshop 7.0+):

What I do is I place the render on it's own layer (duh) and then create a new, transparent layer over it. Then I look at the render it's self. If it is a gernally dark render, or at least the areas around the part I wish to crop out are darker, I go with a white foreground color. If it is light, then use black. Then I grab a large, hard-edged brush and fill in the big area around the target area with the color. Nothing fancy, just make sure you catch all the edges if possible, and get semi-close to the targeted part without running over it. Then I switch to a semi-hard-edged brush (you can change this by holding down SHIFT + [ or ] ([ = softer, ] = harder) that is smaller, and start working in on the edges of the area. The nice thing about cropping this way is that if you screw up, you can just nab the eraser and touch up the crop, then go at it again. Once you've gotten everything but the area you wanted covered in color, just CTRL + Left Click your layer with all the color on it (the one above the render), then hold SHIFT + CTRL + ALT + I to invert the selection, left click on your render, then copy or cut it out.

It is a time consuming process, but I found that with patience and attention to detail, I can get the best results for myself this way.

Secondly, the background.

When I first started, I used a very plain-jane way of making background. Make a 800x800 canvas, Hit D to reset colors, then grab the gradient tool, and hit the Reflected Gradient button (4th from the left), then where it says "Mode" change that to "Difference". You can then go as crazy on your canvas as you want to get ~ smaller clicks and drags will make finer lines, longer clicks make broader lines. When you're done, hit CTRL + U to open up the Hue and Saturation menu. Click colorize and play with the settings to get something you enjoy. If you kinda like it but not quite, you can futz with the Brightness & Contrast settings, along with levels, curve, or anything else you diddle with to make your image cool :P also applying the wave filter to your new background is way to change things up. Play around, have fun! When you see an area you think is cool, grab the Marquee tool and copy it out.

Thirdly, if you're interested more, I'd recommend going to http://www.good-tutorials.com/ and checking around in what they have. There's a tut for almost anything there, and you can better familiarize yourself with Photoshop by following the steps outlined. This way you can eventually go "I'll combine this effect with that one, and while I won't be near what either of those end results were, I now have my own cool picture to show off."

Stay with it! Photoshop and graphic design in general is a fun field to be a part of ~ I try and get as many people as I can addicted to photoshop as much as I :P

Best of luck to you and keep posting your work!