xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
vujsa

The Volkswagen Site <www.vwone.com> Feedback Needed For My VW Website

I'm working on a Volkswagen Community Web Site and I need some feedback.

The Volkswagen Community Web Site will have a forum integrated with it but currently I am working on the content management of the Volkswagen Community Web Site.

Volkswagen Community Web Site still needs the following issues resolved:

Using My First Mambo Template As A Guide Create A New Template That Is More Colorful And Interesting.

Create A Lite Template For SMF And Use As A Guide For A New Template That Will Match The Rest Of The Website.

Create New Mambo Modules That Will Replace Some Of The SMF Functions For Better Integration.

Decide On A New Website Title.

Create A New Logo For The Website.

Set Up User Home Pages To Help Promote More Of A Community Feel To The Website.

Add Several Hundred New Web Links

Find A Suitable News Source To Get News Feeds From

Promote, Promote, Promote

As you will see, the site is for Volkswagen Information. I need to know what everyone thinks so far. The site is far from being finished but I'm not too far behind schedule.

Anybody have a suggestion for a site name?

Here are the website name parameters:

Must be relevent to the content of the website.

Must have an availible .com domain name.

Must be easy to remember.

Must be easy to type, short and easy to spell.

Although the forum description says to play nice, I really need some direct critisism and honesty. I'm a big boy and my feelings won't be hurt. The whole reason I'm posting this is to figure out how I need to change the website. I don't plan on having the finished website look anything like it does now so if you don't like the way it looks, I'm glad because neither do I.

Suggestions for color schemes, menu appearence, and content placement are most important but any feedback will help.

Thanks For The Help, :D

vujsa

Hey thanks for the reply.

That would be a good name. I'll look into registering it.

Thank you, :D

vujsa

EDITED - ADDED

Just checked and it isn't availible but thanks anyway.

vujsa

I'm a Jetta owner so I wish great things for your site! :D

First, in terms of color choices, the grey and white theme is boring, but not awful. Is it the default color scheme? Anyway, I'm partial to green, either a Beetle green or Forest Green theme would be great. I'm thinking that a nice effort could be made to match a VW interior/exterior color scheme to the site layout. Ya know, Dark base color then contrasting tints for highlights and slip in some light and dark greys for accents. Then match your banners and other graphics to the site colors. But green isn't the only answer.

The overall layout is pretty good for what it is. One suggestion I would make (if at all possible) is to move the login form to the top right corner, put the Newsflash just below and then the poll.

Finally, I find User Ratings generally useless. That's just me. Someone else may see value in them, but for what you are doing, I see no reason. If it were my site, I'd turn them off.

I hope I was helpful. Good luck with the site! :D

Hey thanks for the feedback. Forest green might do well. I plan on writting the new template this week or next and I'll give green a shot.I know what you mean about the log in module, I had it there in a previous attempt at a template and layout.I'm going to hang on to the ratings for a while longer until I'm sure that I don't want them. I wish I could specify which categories use the rating but that would be a real pain to code now.I'm going to dump about 750 VW related books into the directory under the book section which would do well with a rating system. Thanks again for your opinion, :Dvujsa

Hey I did some quick color schemes for my template. Please have a look and tell me what you think.

Color Viewer

Hopefully this will give a better picture of what would be possible with the current template.

The final template will be based on the current template.

The final template will be much more graphic based and less style sheet based.

Page and section borders will be designed and new header backgrounds created.

Thanks for your input.

vujsa

Hey I did some quick color schemes for my template.  Please have a look and tell me what you think.

Color Viewer

Hopefully this will give a better picture of what would be possible with the current template.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This page doesn't seem to work. Your site also seems to be having problems at the moment. Please post a message when you have it up and running again so I can check it out. :(

That's odd, it is working fine for me. The color selector is only a screen shot image that has been edited so none of the links and things will work.It is just to get an idea of what it could look like. It requires the use of javascript though.The rest of the website seems to be working fine for me., Maybe some leftover negative energy from the server since it got fussy. :(Please have another look and tell me what you think.vujsa

That's odd, it is working fine for me. 

The color selector is only a screen shot image that has been edited so none of the links and things will work.

It is just to get an idea of what it could look like.  It requires the use of javascript though.

The rest of the website seems to be working fine for me.,  Maybe some leftover negative energy from the server since it got fussy. :lol:

Please have another look and tell me what you think.

vujsa

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems I was trying to visit your site when the server drives were being fixed. I can now see your home page again. However, the color viewer page only shows this:

My Javascript works fine. I don't know what the problem might be.

Turns out that the JavaScript doesn't work for IE. I never even checked for cross compatibility until I saw your screen shot. If you ever get a chance, try it with Netscape or FireFox.Thanks a ton for trying so many times.vujsa

To update the progress of the volkswagen site, I bought a new domain name for the web site today.
http://www.vwone.com/ is the new doamin name and website name of my volkswagen website.

VWOne.com is currently parked a GoDaddy.com and forwarded and masked to my subdomain on my Xisto account (vw.forum500.com).

I have decided to go with a dark green color scheme for the website. A new logo has been designed for the new color and name.

Please stop by and have a look and let me know what you think. I desperately need creative input because I'm not an artistic person but I can design graphics pretty well.

Thanks. :lol:

vujsa