xisto Community
etan

What Type Of Graphic Card? Should I buy

Hey I need to buy a graphic card for my computer and I have no clue on what to get. Do any of you got an Idea for me my budget is 100-300.

It realy depends on what will your computer be used for. If only for gaming then you should buy some like the ATI Radeon familiy. The prices varies from its model. Some model have the VIVO and others dont have. Ive heard that there is a Radeon which has 1Gb of memory and of course it should be running in 8X speed or prefaably higher.......... But if your looking for something for video editing then i think there are graphic card which is more specific on that kind of usage.. so good luck

Below 300 (dollars)? I'd go for the Nvidia Geforce 6600 (GT) chipset, most cards that use this one ar e around the 300 dollars. Also, Nvidia's SLI technology is quite worthwhile.There aren't many ATI cards that are around 300, most of them are 400+ or 200-.ps. Do you have a AGP or PCIe slot? probably AGP eh?:D

With current generation of mid-end video cards, you can't really go wrong. Just about anything will be an improvement over integrated graphics and while there may be differences of a few FPS, you probably won't notice the difference without nerdy little tools like frame counters and stuff of that sort.

If you want a good card as cheaply as possible, I recommend the NVIDIA GeForce FX series. They are only about a year old, but are still awesome, and most run for under 100 dollars. If you want to spend more than 100 (your price range was 100 - 300) then the previuosly suggested cards are good choices. I find that NVIDIA GeForce works better than ATI Radeon in desktops though.~Viz

ATI: The X800 XL 256 MB... and I assume you're running AGP then? If you look on something like pricegrabber, or even the almighty google, you can find an X800 XL 256 for under $300. nVidia: The 6800 GT can be found through the same means for under $300. Just make sure you get the 256MB version if you plan to be playing games or you don't want to buy a card again for another two years. Oh yeah, also looking for OEM or refurbished cards will give you good results, if you're on a budget... I'd say OEM would be going your lowest, because all that does is just give you the card, but sometimes you can get a load of money taken off the original price just because it doesn't come with a bunch of cables or free games and software. :(Refurbished... well, newegg has an X800XT AiW going for under $310... sorry, thats a bit over your budget.

Hey I need to buy a graphic card for my computer and I have no clue on what to get. Do any of you got an Idea for me my budget is 100-300.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You might want to get a Radeon 9800 pro. It was a top of the line graphics card before the xt's and Gt's came out but it is still good for playing games, 3d modelling and everything else you might want. It is also well within the price range you specified.

For 100-300 USD you can probably find almost any card you want really.. a nice x800 or GeForce 6800 wtih 256mb ram on either. Might even be able to find the top end versions of each for around 300 if u look on price sites (pricewatch for instance). If its 100-300 Canadian it might not be in the cards for you to get the top end, but you'd still be able to find an x800 or GF equiv online for those prices probably if u looked round a bit. If you are gaming go for the max you can find for the money you've got. If you don't game I'd say get something stron from a generation or two ago so the price is heavily lowered by now

Hey thanks you guys didnt think I would get this much replies.vizskywalker im going with your card after talking to the comp repair teach at my school and showing him the list. thanks for all your help once again

It depends what you mean by "handle"...I have a 9800 pro 128mb as well, and it can PLAY every game out there but it can't have high or max settings on a handful of them. It's already showing its age a bit in games like Doom3 and Battlefield2 and whatnot...all the resource hog games that are showing up recently. I mean its a good card, just wouldn't reccomend it as a new purchase now unless money was a severe factor. But for 1-300 you can get a much better card probably.

I have a nVidia, GeForce FX 5600 256mb, it's not the best, but my compter is more then 1 and a half year old, it's works still fine, but i would defenitely go for nVidia, my friend has a ATI and unreal dind't work, untill there came a patch... Make sure you buy a good card, cus it's one of the most important things to play games. Another friend of mine, has a good computer, but the video cars sucks, he even can't play Generals.......

Which unreal...I've played unreal, UT, and UT2K4 on my 9600pro and 9800 pro's and they all ran fine. ATI -used- to have problems with there drivers, now both companies are on euqal grounds. Ati even had the lead I would say until this last generation where nVidia finally realized they had competition now so started trying again. No matter which card you get it'll be awesome. Don't avoid one or the other because you hear a single horror story :lol: