xisto Community
levpz930

Google Maps Satelite

Hey, dunno if anyone has checked out Google Maps, but they have a satelite feature now. Just go to google and type the address. Press search then click on "get map of .....". That shows you a map and on the left side there is a satelite option. Click it. You have access to a satelite picture of wherever the address is. Its pretty cool. Zoom in and have fun.

That's pretty sweet. You can go to a location and then search for things, like pizza, and it shows all the pizza stores nearby. Mmmm sounds good right about now. Wonder if my parents are up to ordering some :D

Yeah, I already knew that. I managed to get an ariel photo of Google HQ and one of Jacko's Neverland Ranch.The only thing is, its only available in the US, so I can't use it on the UK version of Google Mpas and Google Local.Shame :D

Any idea how often the satellite image refreshes? Because everytime I check it is the same image, no cars in the road and trees block my house. I want to get a night shot with some cars in it, but I would need to know how often a picture is taken.~Viz

The image doesn't refresh constantly, it would be to expensive to have a sattelite taking photos of an entire country and constantly uploading them to Google's server. Can you imagine how much Google would have to pay for them?I imagine that all the photos were taken during the day, so it was as clear as possible. If you're looking for a night time aerial photo, I recommend you pay for one from a professional.How can this seem like a film? Have you any idea how many map providers offer aerial photos? Its not like they're spying on you - the quality isn't that good!

I like the features of google maps because it give you the ablity of zooming in really close in a way that yahoo and mapquest doesn't. Although google maps is still a testing beta stages, I don't think that it will infringe on our privacy rights. The problem I have with google maps is that it doesn't provide you with detailed directions like mapquest and yahoo maps.

Wow! I've jsut noticed that Google are now offering sattelite maps of the UK too! They're not the best quality in the world, I think [link=http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/] photos are better, the quality is better and they cover a much wider area of the UK, however I can't stand the maps. BigmanB, Google Maps do give directions. Type in where you want to go to, the word "to" and then where you're going from, for example "Norwich to London". You can use postcodes, street names, place names or anything like that to get directions, not just the name of towns or cities.

yeah I found that pretty cool, but I cant find AREA 51 anywhere... they must have deleted it :P anyway I was looking at sattelitet image of town where I live, and on the place where should be some goverment buildings there are "clouds" :P hmm, so if I was an terrorist... I would probably bomb whole clouded area... haha.. well seriously, this sattelite image can reveal whole bunch of stuff, that certain people should not have access to.

Yea I've always liked playing with the various satellite images of places... I found my homes' general location BUUUUT my current place is in a small city in Canada, and my hometown is a tiiiny town in Canada, so neither have a great level of zoom available for the regions. Too bad. Hopefully they'll max out the satellite zoom level for all of Canada soon too

I also use Google Maps for the satellite imaging feature, however, I use Yahoo. and the Yellowpages for more detailed local maps. I think that Google has a done a good job by keeping the satellite feature because most people use it just for fun, assuming by the posts before me :P Another reason I like it is because I live in Toronto, so I have a much better view for the satellite. Google all the way. :P

You should definetly check out googleglobetrotting.com. You can type in anywhere on the globe you want to see and it will take you there. It doesnt have to be a formal address either. You can type, "The Grand Canyon" or "Statue of Liberty" or even "The Great Pyramids" It's a pretty fun site to be on when your bored at work.

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/

-Justin

@ rapco its maps.google.com and @ finaldesign i think this is in no breach of wat people cant get access to today by any other means so i say go go googlemaps?The hybrid feature definitely has me hooked and yes even though i am bored at looking at american states i can wait till its out of the beta stages so i can browse around the pacific.