xisto Community

HI,

In answer to your question they are making a vehicle that no longer runs on petrol. They were going to use solar powered cars but it was no good. They already have a prototype of the model you mensioned. By 2010 they should be on the market. I seems strange doesn't it? By 2060 there will be [/b]no petrol (oil) left on this planet. I wonder how long it will be before todays Mitsubishi Evolution 8.0 is looked upon to be like a 1932 Opal Blitz?

Sean.

In response to the opinion that by 2060 there will be no more 'petrol' on the planet it has been found that actually oil is a renewable resource, and it happens in the ocean later I will give a link to an article about this phenomena,When you produce hydrogen as a fuel you are still causing 'pollution' in the process the only difference is the 'pollution' occurs at the site of production instead of the site of consumption with the net result of not really helping the environment.Right now the only promissing technology is bio-diesal which is actually being used in the United States and Willie Nelson the singer uses bio-diesal to power his tour bus. Learn about bio-diesal and learn about things that are instead of listening to those that try to scare you into thinking that mankind is somehow destroying the earth. There is too much that is not know, and making stuff up aint helping at all. Global Warming is a FARSE!Trees after the mature give off carbon dioxide just as people and animal do, they only take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen into the atmosphere when growing, so mature trees are actually one of the biggest 'polluters' in the world. Get facts not theory, and you'll end up happier.

not sure i agree with houdini - but if he thinks he is going to escape he can - i personally believe the scientific community.anyhow hydrogen cars run on hydrogen and oxygen, and make water!!! true - energy is needed to make the hydrogen cells, and this can cause pollution. but to get hydrogen on its own, water is electrolyised. this hydogen is then added to air or pure oxygen and the reaction gives off energy. somewhere along the line the energy has to be produced:the problem with the buning of fossil fuels it that they are quite often inefficient as the processes involve many different energy transfers. i.e chemical to heat to pressure to kinetic. and they give off atmospheric pollution.if we were to have photovoltaic [solar panel] run factories directly producing electricity and then electrolysing water and producting hydrogen fuel cells, it might work.biodiesel is a good step in the right direction but often government regulations are super safe and minimise benifit. in england we can only buy 5% biodiesel [meaning 95% petrolium 5% plant oil] that is fairly pointless but every little helps.even if you dont believe in global warming you cannot deny that petrol cars cause atmospheric pollution and smog. so we should all agree that no-one wants children or themselves to grow up with lungs full of dirt and chemicals.-- disclaimer - i am not god, but to the best of my knowledge all of the above is true fact but it may be a simplification of reality --

Are they really making progress on cars made out of Hydrogen? I hear that in 20 years there will be no more cars that run on gasoline. I think they already have a few Hydrogen vehicles made.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi there, here in my City of Porto (Portugal) most of the public coaches run either on natural gas or on hydrogen. It helps a lot here to keep the pollution down. I guess its a kind of fieldstudy from daimler chrysler. All these vehicles are made by them. I know they do the same thing in Stuttgart (Germany). :D

Hello All,One of my best friends has a VW Diesel. The VW Corporation has recently approved the use of 10% biodiesel in their cars. This means, if they require 10 gallons of fuel, you are allowed to put in 1 gallon of biodiesel along with 9 gallons of "normal" diesel when you fill the tank.The kicker is, it needs to be biodiesel from an "Approved" distributor. That means, that even though its fairly easy for a person to make his own biodiesel at home, at least the VW company won't authorize its usage, and you will void your warrantee.As of now... I haven't heard of there being any conflicts with the VW Company actually voiding anyone's warrantee due to the use of biodiesel... but I can well imagine that it is just a huge loophole for them to get out of many repairs in the future.A quick background... the concept of a biodiesel engine was thought of for the "Mid Western" states, so the farmer could easily produce his own fuel for his farm tractors. Those tractors ran on biodiesel... with the benefit of better lubrication from that biodiesel helping the wear-and-tear on the engine... with no problems! Along came the large "Oil" companies... and they made the petroleum diesel, at a cheaper price, which ended up pushing the use of biodiesel out of production. I wonder if the use of biodiesel now, can work against the darn "Oil Companies"... and finally stick it to them in the shorts... like they have been doing to us all these years?!?!?! *Grinz*

the problem with biodiesel is that it is not a possible replacement to normal diesel. this is because it must be combined with other forms of agriculture and we still have to eat.[although projects like the one a british company is running is saudi arabia, growing a super tough shrub that can grow on normally infertile desert. this shrub produces a seed like a conker [chesnut] that can be processed for natural oil]we cannot have farms that only produce biodiesel because it is totally unsustainable. the soil would become exhausted because all the energy it being removed. and this problem cannot be sloved by use of fertilizers because the production of fertilizers is a high energy process and this would use up all the energy created by growing the biodiesel.[you guessed it - it's in my name - im not a artificial fertilizer person. nor pesticides and herbicides but that is a different thread. should i write it??]but this is not to say biodiesil isnt good or worthwhile. it great for the short term but we must move on from petrols.

The most likely replacement for the normal petrol cars would be a petrol-electric hybrid. This is because you can already buy this type of cars. They still use petrol, however they would have a reduced amount of petrol needed. Solar cars like any electrical car, sufferes from a problem that they can not go beyond 60km/h (that's 37.284m/h for you Americans out there), thus they need petrol to go beyond that speed.

In response to the opinion that by 2060 there will be no more 'petrol' on the planet it has been found that actually oil is a renewable resource, and it happens in the ocean later I will give a link to an article about this phenomena,

When you produce hydrogen as a fuel you are still causing 'pollution' in the process the only difference is the 'pollution' occurs at the site of production instead of the site of consumption with the net result of not really helping the environment.

Right now the only promissing technology is bio-diesal which is actually being used in the United States and Willie Nelson the singer uses bio-diesal to power his tour bus. Learn about bio-diesal and learn about things that are instead of listening to those that try to scare you into thinking that mankind is somehow destroying the earth. There is too much that is not know, and making stuff up aint helping at all. Global Warming is a FARSE!

Trees after the mature give off carbon dioxide just as people and animal do, they only take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen into the atmosphere when growing, so mature trees are actually one of the biggest 'polluters' in the world. Get facts not theory, and you'll end up happier.

Problem is that by the time we get to 2008-2020 (depending on who you talk to) We would have half the amount of oil we have left. This may seem comfortable, until you realise that it would be harder and harder to extract the remaning oil left. This would shoot the price of oil up and up. This would completely damage the economy of every nation in the world, because we are so relant on oil for our daily needs, like making plastics, transporting goods, transport, etc. This would mean we would go into a depression much akin to the Great Depression of the 1930s. Thus, the really only way to avoid trouble, is to go research 'green' alternatives to oil.

Another thing, Global Warming is most likely true. We can start to see the effects here in Australia, which is currently in a drought. Melbourne is getting warmer and warmer as the years go by. Might not seem much, but there's something happening that we can rule out as false.

If I remembered right, trees release carbon dioxide after a certain time period, but it is something I need to look up. Trees actually do produce Oxygen whether they are mature or not, that I'm pretty sure of.

You need to remember that EVERYTHING in Science is Theory, not facts. For example, the Theory of evolution, Theory of General Relativity etc. So you really can't say get Facts, because everyithng in Science is not fact but theory.

I certainly think the best way for us is go back to bicycles or something... maybe that way Americans wouldnt be soo fat... We've became so dependent on technology that its making a enormous percentage of people obese.....Or maybe a better way is: since we gage the strength of our cars on Horse Powers, why not just have horses again... So in order to have a tranportation that have 200 horse power, you raise 200 horses.. hahaha.... nah im just kidding... I just hope we find something to save us from our doom one day...Chin chin..

I certainly think the best way for us is go back to bicycles or something... maybe that way Americans wouldnt be soo fat...  We've became so dependent on technology that its making a enormous percentage of people obese.....

Or maybe a better way is: since we gage the strength of our cars on Horse Powers, why not just have horses again... So in order to have a tranportation that have 200 horse power, you raise 200 horses.. hahaha.... nah im just kidding... 

I just hope we find something to save us from our doom one day...

Chin chin..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do that and you can say goodbye to the U.S (and the world's) economy :D. We would, but unfortunately, we just might be too late.

i believe one day we will be driving on cars fuelled with hydrogen and solar cars " green cars and becoming relatively cheaper and accetable in societies.jus hope that natural resouces will not be run out by the time we discover new resources. go green! lollx

I still think that Hydrogen is not really practical. Maybe it can be made a little better, but I think that electric or clean natural gas will end up powering the future of transit.

IDK, I love the smell of gasoline. Hydrogen cars would be nice though, just have to go to the H2O station lol. Pay $2 a gallon for some water. What about solor cars? One's that run on the solor energy from the sun. It could drive at night too, cuz it would store energy from driving it during the day. :lol:

Yea in 20 years hydrogen cars will be less expensive and the infrostructure should be built for them... and there are hydrogen cars today. Also obtaining hydrogen uses conventional means of of creating electricity, so we will need to use solar energy to make it economicaly sound