xisto Community
ninjamunky

What's The Best Blog Software

Well, I'm not the greatest advocate of blogs, I actually think that they are very much commercialized/AmeriTeenized, but I was considering putting one up on my space. So I was wondering, what is the best blog software? Which software is to blogs what IPB is to forums?

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Personally, I prefer WordPress, it's nice, easy and highly configurable. (in an easy way)..I am the type of gal that loves to configure theings, I love tweaking things LOL. I suppose it all dependson your wishes for the blog. ALthough I've seen some really nice things in Nucleus, I stick with WordPress. My suggestion, test them. Usually their sites have a preview going :D WordPress can look as personal as you want, but it can also be more professionally tainted :D *just saw Foamy, so I am not in my normal doings here LOL*

The guy above me already described wordpress [sorry, i didnt see your name]. I prefer wordpress or blogger. Blogger is about the opposite of wordpress. Its pretty much simplistic. Its good to use if you're new to blogging softwares and editing css and templates.

Blogspot offers a nice web interface. However, if you're using Mac OS X, I suggest RapidWeaver. They have templates for blogs, and you can choose one of many different themes. Very classy results.

You can find different site on the internet that will let your put blogs on thier site. The best one i found was xanga. It will let you totally customize your your blogs just like a site. It will teach you the the basics or you can just go for advanced.

TypePad is very popular here. You can publish anything instantly. It makes starting a blog as easy as clicking on the "Word"-icon on your desktop. In fact, it may ac-celerate a potential trend toward wordprocessing functionallity on the net. It also has a powerful photo-album service.

Typepad

well if you download the hello software ( http://www.hello.com/en/index.html ) it has a bot that you can automaticly post to you blog to. it only works with
https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=blogger&passive=1209600&continue=
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/='>http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/=
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
blogs but its pretty cool. the best thing about it is you can send it images and then it will make thumbs for them and link them to the big image.

Although related to blogging, this isn't a service but free software which acts as an interface for editing and maintaining your blog.

It's called W.Bloggar

It's free and light-weight in terms of resources. This helps mostly when you don't have an always ON connections to the Net. Effectively something of an offline blog, type up your blog entries and then sync them with your blog online. Cool stuff!

From the FAQ:

The w.bloggar is an application that acts as an interface between the user and one or more blog(s); in other words, it is a Post and Template editor, with several features and resources that the browser based blog editors do not offer.

Because w.bloggar runs over the Windows GUI, it allows the user to edit posts without being connected to the Internet. Posts can be saved locally; and anytime the user wants to publish a new text, one click on the w.bloggar icon in the system tray brings up the editor, and one more click will post it to the weblog.

Another great advantage of w.bloggar is that it is compatible with most of the weblog systems available, allowing an advanced user to have only one interface to several accounts hosted on several different sites, using different publishing systems.

To communicate with the weblog, w.bloggar requires that the blog system have implemented an API (Application Programming Interface.) Currently, w.bloggar is compatible with all tools that implements Blogger API, metaWeblog API, MovableType API and b2 API; all based on the XML-RPC definition.

Wordpress is really great. It strated out as a bit of dodgy system but with the latest versions it is about as good as a blog system can get. The basic systems does what the basic system should: the blog functionality and not much more. But then there's very useer friendly modfications system which you can use to make your blog to do stuff you want. Only complaint I have is that, as far as I know, there is currently no way of integrating Wordpress with a forum software. It'd be really handy if people who post at my forums could comment my bloggings with the same logins.

You need to have linux, or at least mySQL and PHP for wordpress to work or any other open source blogger app so you might want to check that as not all hosting is good. If its Xisto then your fine and Xisto i great.I use blogger but i wish i could be rid of the adverts, the main reason i use it is for multi-person blogs with non-tech people. Im making a business site soon an im gonna use wordpress for that

I think wordpress software just suits me good, i never really used anything other, you can do a lot with it and i like that it is quite simple.

For really serious corporate bloggers or websites looking to set up a professional blogs, I would recommend Movable Type. The level of customization is really deep and the amoung of useful plugins developed for the system is a lot.However, I would say that Wordpress is gaining in popularity in the blogosphere as it is getting really fuinctional and easy to use. The templates available for WP is great looking too.