xisto Community
Houdini

Using Php With Front Page

I have a member that has downloaded one of my MODS for the PHP-Nuke CMS and he is having a problem with viewing the file. Does Front page actually render a PHP file? Becuase I have looked at his code, I tried the Front Page Express once or twice a long long time ago but went to better things. I am sure you should be able touse asp or technologies like that with Front Page, but if I remember correctly Front Page would change your HTML does it do the same with stuff like PHP if it can render it?

when ever i tried to render a file in frontpage it always crashed. I could edit the code, but that was it.If you want a program that can render php then i would advise you to get Macromedia's Dreamweaver. It is very good, you can program nearly every type of format, html, php, javascript... it even comes with some tutorials.I have switched to dreaweaver because it is easier and uses ftp to upload your files :DI think that if you want to render php then you have to get a plugin.. but i can't quite remember :D

I suggest to open the file with a barebone text editor like notepad or vi(m), that always does the trick.About php rendering, what do you mean by that? PHP is like a full grown programming language, i can't imagine that built in to any web editor.

I have a member that has downloaded one of my MODS for the PHP-Nuke CMS and he is having a problem with viewing the file. Does Front page actually render a PHP file?  Becuase I have looked at his code, I tried the Front Page Express once or twice a long long time ago but went to better things.  I am sure you should be able touse asp or technologies like that with Front Page, but if I remember correctly Front Page would change your HTML does it do the same with stuff like PHP if it can render it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you should have php and Mysql and a server (for example Internet Information service) on your pc

you can only edit php codes by frontpage and you can`t design php page

I have switched to dreaweaver because it is easier and uses ftp to upload your files :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Frontpage 2003 also allows you to use FTP, infact it lets you use: FTP, frontpage services, sharepoint services, webdav, and remote system protocol.

Frontpage is pretty much just a pure HTML type editor/generator. If your wanting PHP I've heard that Dreamweaver is the way to go. Personally after using FP for as long as I have I'm moving on to Dreamweaver as soon as I can afford to.

Macromedia Dreamweaver is my editor of choice as it can do most languages. HTML, XML, JavaScript, CSS, ASP, JSP, PHP and ColdFusion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you need to have a local server with a PHP parser to view the files correctly in a browser after they have been edited. Otherwise you would be forced to upload it to a PHP enabled host to view the updated PHP file.

Macromedia Dreamweaver is my editor of choice as it can do most languages. HTML, XML, JavaScript, CSS, ASP, JSP, PHP and ColdFusion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you need to have a local server with a PHP parser to view the files correctly in a browser after they have been edited. Otherwise you would be forced to upload it to a PHP enabled host to view the updated PHP file.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your right but doesn't Dreamweaver, like FP, offer "Live" updating so that you can work PHP and what no directly on you Hosts server?

IMHO, I've found that php is fine to simply design the page in Frontpage, but I also kinda cheat. I save the php file as an html file, and I'm usually able to view most of what that file contains, except for the content of the header.incv and footer.inc files...but I mainly use Frontpage simply to be able to get a visual look at what a page will look like. I can code from hand for much of anything...though, I've never tried to FTP up a php file via Frontpage. I've used WS_FTP and that seems to work just fine. Anybody got any comments on whether you prefer FTP or using Frontpage to publish a site? I've never gotten a definitive answer on that.

I used to use FP to upload sites that I designed and edited directly on the server, however now that I use Dreamweaver I miss that option. Now I download each page, and its dependents, and edit on my own computer then upload the same to view and then download and edit some more if necessary. Then again since I am now working with PHP and don't have the proper server software installed on my computer I would have to do that anyways. I now use FTP to upload and download by the way.

I suggest to open the file with a barebone text editor like notepad or vi(m), that always does the trick.
About php rendering, what do you mean by that? PHP is like a full grown programming language, i can't imagine that built in to any web editor.

I think he means if the code could be parsed for correctness. You would have to install a php / apache server to acctaully have the php file run in windows.

Ohhhhhh.... don't get me started!All I have to say about web development, and accessibility, and reliability...At first, I really was not sure about the merger, er maybe takeover...Adobe Dreamweaver.... Adobe Photoshop Suites... oh my goodness, it's FANTASTIC! I started out training on Photoshop many, many years ago... and I got so hooked... Frontpage is pretty straightforward, but it just lacks so much that can be done... I have used both for a long time, and I am still learning more and more every time I use them... and since they go together well... PRODUCTION PEOPLE!!! Man, it's so easy to just convert anything from one form to another... Ok, so I am getting ahead of myself....I think that it does not matter what is best, it is what works well for the user.... my incoherent ramblings... they are opinion only! I just wanted to give many props to my setup, that I know I am very grateful to have... it's not all that easy with the outrageous costs these days... So, fellow web designers, and digital gurus, good luck and stick with what you know and love...Thank you for letting me do a little praising! haha- bob -