xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
OneStopReefShop

Wireless Dumps Me

Hi all,I'm starting to get frustrated here. I have a D-Link 802.11b wireless Router. My laptop uses a Linksys wireless 802.11g PCMCIA card. I get a connection signal strength in my office between 60%-70%, and for the most part that seems to do a super job.Now... for my problem.I am frequently getting disconnected from my network. Right in the middle of downloading, or going from page to page on the internet I totally lose signal strength. If I sit and wait for just about a minute, everything reconnects... but there has to be something that is causing this loss of signal.Any ideas????

You may have to include more information so we can get a better understanding.A few questions you can answer:Is the network secured?Do you have other wireless networks in close proximity?Also do you have a timeout limit for inactivity while connected to the internet?

It could also be a problem with your internet service provider. Over here we regularly run into problems with the wireless network, but it has nothing to do with our hardware or our software, but with the internet service provider running into network problems.

Interference from cordless phones is a strong possibility; 2.4ghz phones are known to cause some problems. i have 5.8ghz phones next to my wireless with no problems but as i said 2.4ghz colud be interfering, check the router documentation.mmkropp

Rudy,Is my network secured?I'm not sure what you mean by secured? I know that when I've tried to activate the WEP thangy, for some reason my Laptop's PCMCIA card doesn't seem to want to attach with the password there. I'm thinkin that has something to do with my Router being a D-Link, and the PCMCIA card being a Linksys????Is there other wireless networks in the area?Every time I have done the "Site Survey" where it searches for local networks to attach to... its only showing mine, so I think that means I'm it here.Do I have a timeout limit for internet access?None at all.Hopefully some of that makes more since to you than it does to me. *Grinz*Chiivo,I don't think its a problem with my Internet Provider. My better half doesn't have any problems with disconnections while she is sitting on our main computer... which is hard-wired into the router. Her connection is always there as she does her surfing... we have even checked to see if when I have my problem she is having any problems (Several times) and she never does. So... its something strickly with the wireless portion of my connection.mmkropp,I also have one of the 5.8ghz phones... which doesn't interfear at all (I think???). May have to switch all of my cordless to the 5.8ghz... if this continues for me. *pout*