xisto Community
eyvind

Freelancer A great open-ended game

I have played freelancer for a week or so now and I think it is a great game. There is a great singleplayer with fun and chalenging missions, as well as a great multiplayer option.There are hubdreds of servers to play on, each with their own twists to the game, one might give you 1,000,000 credits (the freelancer currency) to start off with, one might let you start with a cruise ship, the other might have compeltely different planets and ships, maybe a star wars version. And of course there are servers where you can play with all teh regular rules, if you get tired of all the spoofed up versions and want to play, shall I say, honestly.There are endless possibilities to the game, a lot of ships, hundreds of weapons and special equipment like missiles, torpedoes, countermeasures, mines, turrets, and each of these with different types (like laser, pulse, and particle weapons and guuided and nonguided missiles and powerful and weaker torpedoes, and more powerful and homing mines and bigger and stronger turrets).There are also what's called commodities. When you kill enemies (or neutral ships, or maybe een your allies) they might drop loot, you can tractor the loot into your ship and, depending on teh worth of the loot you can sell it for tons of money at bases and planets and battleships. (Sometimes teh ships drop weapons that you can use yourself). There are thousands of different commodities, ranging from scrap mtetal and water to luxury consumer food (which can spoil) and cardamine (a drup illegal in many places) and alien artifacts (which are also ilegal in some places).The universe that is open for you to explore is immense. There are tens of systesm which you can travel between through jump gates or jump holes (the latter is usually used by pirates and criminals), and each system has sometimes as many as 5 to 10 planets, other times there is only one or two stars and a base or two. Inside the sytstems there are what are calle dtrade lanes, they make traveling through the system much much quicker, you dock with it and you start flying really really fast. This might make the game less fun as it makes the game less realistic (it takes too little time), actually, following an estimate made by a top player (I'm not sure what he is, he might be some guy from microsoft, liek the head developer of the game or something, I'm not sure, his name is Phil) in an interview at lancersreactor.com (the leading website for freelancer guides etc, including a list of commoditites and their prices at different ports whoch I use extensively) that if you zip through all teh systems as fast as you possibly can without docking anywhere or stopping at all, you might be able to visit every system in about six and half hours, and of course it takes a lot longer if you actually want to explore everything.There are secrets in every system. For example there are abandoned ships (wrecks mostly) that you can loot. They usualy give very expensive weapons and/or commodities. Of coure there is a catch... the wrecks are usually surrounded by one or more of the following: lots of enemy ships, radiation that will ignore your shield and damage you till you die, an area of loss of sensors (which severely hampers your ability to actually find the wreck).There are also different factions in teh game, lots of factions, some of the (at first at least) friendly ones are, in the starting system are the Liberty Police and the Liberty Navy, as well as tons of neutral ones including a bunch of trading corporations such as Universal SHipping and othe rmiscelaneous corporations like the Cryer Pharmaceuticals. There are otehr factions like th bounty hunters and the junkers that fly around and hounty loot and heads, they mostly start out neutral with you. Your enemies (in teh beginning at least) are mostly the Liberty Rouges, the Xenos, the Outcasts, and the Corsairs. YOu can become friends or enemies with anyone you want with some effort, for exampleby destroying some Liberty Police SUpply depots (na dstealing teh goods inside) you will quickly become friends with teh Liberty Rouges and enemies with the Liberty Police (and Navy and a bunch of other people).I have touched on quitew a bit, but each topic has a lot more to learn about as well as teh tons of other topics that I haven't even mentioned.THe trial can be downloaded at microsoft.com, and the full version can be bought for maybe $9.I have had a great time playing, hope you will too.(If I sayed soemthing wrong, just reply, or igf you want to continue this length description go ahead.)

I LOVED this game when it came out. It seemed to be such a unique game and it steered away from general linear gameplay which seems common among so many games. This game really was superb in many areas and had so much to do OTHER than just missions and shooting. Among the fighter ships you could buy, there were also large cargo ships with heaps of space, sometimes making these more viable as you could carry lots of commodities to a system where the item is worth more, sell it and get lots of credits.I had a plan at one stage to play this online with a few friends with some of us using cargo ships and getting lots of credits while the others guarded from people trying to loot you but we never got around to it. In terms of single player, the game is very fun but once you've finished the story line, there isn't a whole lot more you can do. In the starting systems, you instantly kill those enemies you might have once struggled with and the only goals left is to make LOTS of credits, find the best of everything (There were a few REALLY powerful weapons hidden around the system) and start thinking about multi-player. Also, at the time I had 56k so the MP side wasn't a large or appealing option for me.

I bought this game when I was 12, ignoring my friend's advice of buying Halo: Combat Evolved when it just came out. When I first saw the review on the Computer Times, now also known Digital Life, I decided to check out the game by downloading and installing the trial. It seems very nice at first, until the game timed out by itself and I got a glimpse of the "Starkiller" torpedos or something and the destruction of the Donau was actually caused by few missiles. The typical German cruiser can withstand more than that...and when I first bought those "Javelin" missiles and shot them on Westpoint Academy...the station did not get destroyed...I did. Thought that they are virtually indestructible in the trial version so I bought the full retail version...found out that it's still the same and gradually lost interest in the game but I did earn 4 million credits buying diamonds from the Red Hessians base in some Omega 5 system and selling them at Leeds, travelling through systems via jumpholes. Get the Dromedary freighter for this kind of job since it has a 275 capacity, the ship with the most amount of storage space available.

Here's the fuel for the flight, Lancers Reactor. Also, take note that the strategy I used to earn 4 million credits is not included in the guide. You have to cruise very carefully to avoid mines on the frontlines between the Corsairs and Red Hessians. Have your reputation fixed with the Red Hessians and be enemies with the Corsairs. Always wait for a Red Hessian patrol before proceeding to the jumphole behind enemy lines.