xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mitchellmckain

Evaluation Of Microsoft Office Publisher what an unbelievable piece of garbage

For my first attempt at making my recent Web page (relspace.astahost.com), I tried Microsoft Office Publisher since I got a copy for free with the Office Suite that was provided for my teaching job. The result would load like it was slowly putting together a jigsaw puzzle. Not only that, but sometimes it would not load properly in the browser at all.So I rewrote the thing in freehand html (using the same graphics that Publisher had supplied) and I was rather shocked that the Publisher version of the html was 100 times the size of what I wrote to do the same thing. I find that a little bit incomprehensible. Why would anyone bother writing a program to make an html document 100 times larger so that it could perform so lousy when loading?Well maybe no one with any experience doing web pages would bother with a program like Publisher. In this field I am quite a novice. I am more into software programming. But it really make wonder about the people who wrote Publisher. I didn't realize that there were salespeople pretending to be programmers or something. I don't know, my imagination fails me here!

Well maybe no one with any experience doing web pages would bother with a program like Publisher.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that's the point. MS Publisher is not a website editor. It CAN be used to create HTML-files, but the source code is much too heavy. Same thing with MS Word. Publisher sure is easy to use and you get good looking results, but programs like Frontpage or Dreamweaver woul do a better job. Publisher is for printed publications I guess, isn't it? (I'm not so sure)

GreetingZ

Microsoft Publisher is used for desktop publishing, that is, printed publications like posters, signs, ads, flyers, greeting cards, etc. :oIt uses a rather verbose HTML generator, also called MSHTML. It generates the HTML so that when you reopen it in Microsoft Publisher, you get exactly the same results. :DI agree that using human-generated XHTML is the way to go. Sure you can use any program you want to do your graphics (as long as you have permission to use those graphics), but using human-generated XHTML guarantees much cleaner code and you can actually go to revise it if necessary. :blink:

hazeshow and FirefoxRocks are both right, it was not primarily meant to be used for web pages.  It put's ALL of the styles that come with office inside of the HTML document, and a whole bunch of other uneccessary infromation in there because it doesn't know what you want to do with the HTML document.  It puts special information that only Office can understand so you can open it again with full editing capbilities (e.G. The title, the author, etc.)If you want a good web edting program, you can find a lot of freeware programs created especially for that purpose.  Since Publisher is from Microsoft, I will reccomend another Microsoft product which I, suprisingly, am pleased with.It is called Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express.  You can find it on https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/visual-studio-express/.

-reply by Paco

convert publisher docs to a free publishing softwareEvaluation Of Microsoft Office Publisher

I have insstalled three microsoft publishers on three different computers and have paid for it three times.  I have bought another computer with windows 7 and naturally need to open the publisher documents that I have on the new computer.  Of course, since I do not have publisher on the new computer, I cannot open them.  Is th er any other freeware that I can create documents somewhat like microsoft publisher and is able to open the existing documents that were created in Publisher?

Thanks forour help!!  Just hate to pay Microsoft the fourth time for the same software.