xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jedipi

Tiger Deleted My Screensavers

Tiger deleted my screensavers....and I cannot remember where I downloaded it...I used to use the great OS X Screensaver whichhad Legos falling down and land on a green pad Those just build a lego towers, but now I cannot seem to find it anywhere. I checked google, and I still can't find it. Anybody know what I am talking about?I think it was called Briblio or something strange like that, but I am not sure.Thanks in advance!

Sorry I don't know what you are talkin about but I will try to look for it and if I find it I will post again./////.I just will have to remeber to back everything up when I upgrade to Tiger. Did you noticed anything else missing other then the Screensavers?.?.?.?.?.

I don't like screen savers.1. They don't save energy... the whole idea of sleep mode.2. The only time it works is when the computer is idle... i.e. when you're not there to see the screensaver...

Screen savers weren't designed to save energy. They save your screen, hence the name. When your computer is idle the screen is displaying the same thing and some monitor will "burn". (screen burn, you know.) The idea of a screen saver is that it keeps the pixels changing and prevents them from burning. And then people thought that instead of just turning off the screen, they could entertain people.There, thats the story of the screen saver! :D

It's pretty amazing what people will believe, even though it defies all logic. My wife's old college roommate used to believe (and probably still does) that computers don't use any electricity when it's on screen saver mode. Even when we tried to reason it out to her, using plain english, she still couldn't believe that it was using as much electricity as before. "But that's what screen savers do!" Riiiiiiight...

Seemed logical to me. However, I did some research and found this:

Turn off your computer monitor. Screensavers do not save energy. A computer monitor uses almost as much energy as a refrigerator.

That was from some city's tips on conserving energy. The city name escapes me at the moment.

But, my point still stands, if you're not at the computer, there's no point in using it, so you'd might as well just conserve energy and turn your monitor off. Although that might not be good after a while either.

Anyone use the hot corners to activate a screensaver? It helps when you have someone walk in the room and you don't want to share the masterpiece graphic you're creating or to let them see your emails.I know there are people who insist that a dvd player left on with the dvd still in it can burn an image on the tv screen. Not sure about that, but there are those who say it is true. That is why the internet is great. You can search things and find out what is true and what is an urban legend.

Thanks, Brian. The website has what I was looking for.Yeah, get it finally.it is surprise to me, people do believe that screen saver saves energy. :(

Brian, you're right about the screensaver being a saviour of the screen but that it'll only save early monochrome CRT monitors but sdvances in display technology and the advent of energy-saver monitors have virtually eliminated the need for screensavers and we now only use them for distributed computing, security or entertainment. (I don't see what they see in screensavers as entertainment though.)