xisto Community

I've heard about something like this from Channel One. They said that it was made by a university to share information A LOT quicker than now. They're saying that you would be able to download movies in about 5-10 seconds. I haven't heard too much about it, but it sounds great. I don't know when it's coming out or anything of that sort, but I sure would like to have it. :)

Try this site it might answer most of your questions http://www.internet2.edu/

From what I could gather its to accelerate the future internet. It's to promote education and other facilities that promote education like videoconferencing. Its got the support of the federal government. Its mainly working toward advanced networking, and enable collaboration between U.S. researchers, faculty, students and their overseas counterparts.

The Internet Educational Equal Access Foundation (IEEAF) and other partners have gotten a planning grant from the National Science Foundation(NSF) to propose very high speed Internet extensions. YOU COULD GO UPTO SPEEDS OF 10 Gbps! This wilil be used to connect the academic, research, health and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in Africa.

Peace,

-!DraXxuS!-

All I can say is, "I wish I could go that fast."Just imagine sitting at home looking at the window and seeing rain pouring down and noticing you have nothing to do. You walk to your computer and think to yourself, "Hmmm, I've always wanted to see (insert movie)."So you just click on over to some movie downloader and in a couple seconds you have the movie. Or you want o talk to a pen-pal in Egypt, you just click you video conference and you are instantly connected with no mlag at all. Better yet you have 0 latency on your favorite internet game!

^^I like that minus the movie downloading..Which is illegal :).Going that fast though...We'd be able to do so much more....Find cures to so many diseases...Cuz more computers could contribute at higher rates...But with every plus their is a parallele negative...For example with speeds that high, a virus could spread over entire networks in minutes. The chaos would be inimaginable.Still though, I myself would really enjoy the technologie...Once it becomes cost effective (of course). :)

They started developing internet 2 ages back.. Anyway, they're hoping that in future people would be able to do all sorts of things through an internet connection, like hooking up VR sets to your internet so you could "virtually" meet somebody on the other side of the world and stuff like that. I think it's all a plot to put us into the Matrix :)

Hey I love the idea and welcome it with open arms. One of the more technical parts of it I like is it will expand the internet naming system by leaps and bounds.It will allow the internet to grow beyond what it is today by massive amounts.

But with every plus their is a parallele negative...For example with speeds that high, a virus could spread over entire networks in minutes. The chaos would be inimaginable.

good point, but with the higher speeds, wouldn't there be a better way of combatting this type of chaos? i mean, the internet is getting faster and faster anyway and the trouble hasn't increased too much...(has it? am i wrong?)

any here hread of Internet 2? is my computer teacher just supid or is there a new Internet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't heard anything about this? :) I think that it sounds a little funny "internet 2"

Try this site it might answer most of your questions http://www.internet2.edu/

From what I could gather its to accelerate the future internet. It's to promote education and other facilities that promote education like videoconferencing. Its got the support of the federal government. Its mainly working toward advanced networking, and enable collaboration between U.S. researchers, faculty, students and their overseas counterparts.

The Internet Educational Equal Access Foundation (IEEAF) and other partners have gotten a planning grant from the National Science Foundation(NSF) to propose very high speed Internet extensions. YOU COULD GO UPTO SPEEDS OF 10 Gbps! This wilil be used to connect the academic, research, health and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in Africa.

Peace,

-!DraXxuS!-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting site.... it answered all the questions I had on Internet 2. Thanks for the post.....

^^I like that minus the movie downloading..Which is illegal :).

Going that fast though...We'd be able to do so much more....Find cures to so many diseases...Cuz more computers could contribute at higher rates...

But with every plus their is a parallele negative...For example with speeds that high, a virus could spread over entire networks in minutes.  The chaos would be inimaginable.

Still though, I myself would really enjoy the technologie...Once it becomes cost effective (of course). :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Downloading movies from the internet is not necessarily illegal. What is illegal is downloading copywritten movies for free........

They started developing internet 2 ages back.. Anyway, they're hoping that in future people would be able to do all sorts of things through an internet connection, like hooking up VR sets to your internet so you could "virtually" meet somebody on the other side of the world and stuff like that. I think it's all a plot to put us into the Matrix :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting thought about how the "powers that be" are trying to put us into the Matrix, but that is saying that we are not already in the Matrix........................... :P

Don't know if this has been posted yet (quickly scanned through the posts) but I heard that the Internet 2 is going to have a MAJOR upgrade with IP addresses. I read in a magazine that we are currently running out of IP's on this Internet. With the Internet 2, however, there would be enough addresses so that if you got a new one for every second and you were connected your whole life, you still wouldn't run out.I think that is a scary thought.... it might be why AOL re-uses IPs or gives you and a few million users the same IP address.Oh well... just correct me if I'm wrong on this.[N]F

That seems cool, but... Think of it this way, the current internet has well established itself. It has billions of users. Now, here is why I said these two things. It would be very difficult and impracticle to move the internet. And the billions of users create lag, which the internet 2 doesn't have, how much faster is it really?