xisto Community
JohnNitro

Optimization Wizard for windows ME

Im looking for a optimization wizard for windows Me. I seem to have trouble with my computer. I freeze a lot and when I restart it doesnt restart but stays in a blank screen and a underscore flashing like its about to restart but doesnt. But if anyone know of a way to improve my computer, let me know. Also I don't have any money to buy stuff to fix this computer or upgrade it so if possible list only free stuff, like freeware and where I can get it. Not sure if we are not a loud to post link to computer ware, but if you can't post it message me through the mail system that Xisto has. I use the maintenance wizard on my windows Me but it's really slow and I don't seem to see the difference. So if any can hook me up with a lot of useful knowlegde and windows me and or freeware to improve my computer please let me know thanks in advance for all the help.

Hi JohnNitro,Here's a primer,Do the following:-run your Antivirus-run Adaware program-run Spybot program-run "Disk Cleanup" in Windows-run "MSCONFIG" in Windows to disable programs that startup unnecessarily.-run Scandisk in windows- run Defragment in WindowsIf everything runs OK.. your done.. :D If not.. Make copies of ALL your programs & data files..then ..RE-install Windows ME :D If everything runs OK.. your done.. :P If not..There's a very good chance you have a hardware problem causing the freezups. :D Check out my website for solutions. :D Hope this helpsRGPHNXPS- If you need free programs.. checkout the "Links" page at my website also. ;)

I have done most of that, but I cant reinstall windows because I dont have the disc for it. But thanks for the info and I will make sure I got to your site to see if I can get some help out of it. It doesnt seem to freeze all the time but once in a while it will do it and when I restart it, it doesnt restart just goes to a black screen. It suck because I dont know much about computer but Im learning hopefuly I learn a lot from your site. And I hope it helps me fix when ever if wrong with windows me. I hear that ME has a freezing problem but I hope to fix that with help. I dont have a spyware so I cant run that were do I get that. Is it free?? Anyways thanks again for the help.

Your computer has a hardware problem not software.It can be one of these two problems:1 Your computer memory is faulty and need replacing.2 Your hard drive has a lot of bad sectors that need to be mapped out and will need formatting.Or depending on the age of the computer the drive is dying a slow death.

Hi again JohnNitro,

re:

I have done most of that

You need to do ALL of those steps AGAIN in the EXACT ORDER I listed for you.

Even if you can't re-install Win ME.. do ALL of the other steps BEFORE you go mucking around looking for hardware problems.

You can find links to most of the programs I listed for you.. on the "links" page at my website.

Just go step by step.

RGPHNX

but I cant reinstall windows because I dont have the disc for it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

try contacting microsoft ... i believe they will send you a replacement disc for free (or close to it) if you can prove you owned a copy previously

good luck

I don't think I can prove it so, I guess I can't do that. I am going to check out your site as soon as this post is posted. I check out your site and also do all the advice you gave me to do. I have something called cachemen but not sure how to use it, and I ran the wizard for it but not sure what options to pick. I tried a pick and see what happens strategy, lol. But no matter how the set up is it doesn't seem to make a differece in performance, which is a really let down. It's not causeing any problems but since it's not improving the computer performance I think I will uninstall it, unless any of you can help me out with it and tell me how to set it up so it can have a positve effect on my pc. Not sure the computer is dieing becaue it's only about 5 years old. So about the spy ware and the ad ware do you have downloadable file of these on your site because I don't have them on my computer so I can run those. Thanks for the help and advice I'll check out you site as soon as possible. So I hope I get good information if not I'm sure your information will help me. Thanks again.