xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
saxsux

Bbc Goes P2p BBC to launch new P2P IMP

You've probably already heard it somewhere else, but the BBC is working on new P2P software which will allow people to download episodes of thier favourite shows up to seven days after it has been broadcast. They'll be testing it with 5,000 people around England (I'm gonna try and get a place!!)

Heres the press release - http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

The software is going to be called the IMP (Intereactive Media Player) and will use P2P software a bit like Kazaa and Gnuttella.
You will download the episode from the BBC or another member. When the download finishes, a "key" is downloaded from the BBC which unlcks the program. When the key expires after seven days, the program can't be watched, shared or listen to.

When the download finishes, a "key" is downloaded from the BBC which unlcks the program. When the key expires after seven days, the program can't be watched, shared or listen to

So if you download a program, you only have 7 days to use the key to convert the encrypted download to a plain old regular MPEG.

i cant see this time limit protection working.

why not just let people keep the download.
its not like the BBC are forcing people to use VCR cassettes that bio-degrade after 7 days.. lol.

good luck enforcing the 7 day rule.

Still a very nice idea and I can see it being popular, and it will be used, im not sure about the seven day thing, as you say, anything like that can be undone and will be, just takes a little longer than usual to do.

hmmmmm

i am good with my p2p server thingy

i have Ares

it gives me all the stuff i need

but that is interesting

neva thought bbc would launch one

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a bit different than your regular P2P program like Ares though, in that it will only be used to share programs/shows that have been broadcasted on the BBC television network. If you really wanted to be downloading episodes broadcasted on BBC your best option would be to use this new P2P program made for BBC, "The IMP" or what ever it's name is. You could probably find some of the episodes on programs like Ares, but using the IMP to get these episodes directly from it's original source (BBC) will be much more reliable. And of course you continue to use Ares (or what ever other P2P system you may use to share files) for all your other needs.

So if you download a program, you only have 7 days to use the key to convert the encrypted download to a plain old regular MPEG.

i cant see this time limit protection working.

why not just let people keep the download.

its not like the BBC are forcing people to use VCR cassettes that bio-degrade after 7 days.. lol.

good luck enforcing the 7 day rule.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I think the way it works is that you download the programme, and then the IMP connects to the BBC and gets the key to play it - the key will only be available for the seven days after the programme is aired.

When you get the key, you can play the programme in the IMP itself.

No, I think the way it works is that you download the programme, and then the IMP connects to the BBC and gets the key to play it - the key will only be available for the seven days after the programme is aired.When you get the key, you can play the programme in the IMP itself.

Then a packet sniffer could get the key.
it doesnt matter how it works, if it can be played, then it can be converted to an mpeg for later viewing.

if this BBC p2p takes off, then software will be made to rip it to mpeg.

somthing like that.I think its a great idea.Like Tape recording a program, without having to know about the porgram you want to watch beforehand, without having to setup the vcr, and none of the sky plus crap.the first truely innovative thing to come out of tv in a while.[rant]a few decades ago, there was this thing called tv.tv had many different stations to tune into. and you could have asmany TV's as you like, and wtch as many different channels smultaniusly as you like.then in the 21 century, they advertise (SKY multi-room) when you can have a second tv, in a different room, for only double the price ![/rant]