xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
L-Voss

Konnichiwa, Mina-san! (nah, I'm Not From Japan) ... but from Poland

Hey everyone! I'm from Poland and I translate games (ROMs for emulators) and small fanfics from English to my home language. (Only 1 game and 3 fics so far... but that IS already something!) I also have just started learning 日本語 (Japanese) because I'm fascinated by Japan and everything what's Japanese. However, I learn it only by myself, so it's really hard... But... やめられない! (I won't give up!) So - once again - hi everyone :)

That IS Japanese! They use Kanji (Kan-ji means "chinese characters") borrowed from Chinese. However, the pronounce of some words is completly different (the pronounce of theese characters 日本語 is "Nihongo"). And they have their own alphabet called kana - やめられない this is in kana - one character means one syllable: Ya-me-ra-re-na-i) And Japanese is also much easier to learn, you know...

Hi L-Voss... (no nie mów... coraz więcej nas tu :))...after this short prefrase to official part...Weclome :) you for sure would love this board like we all... Don't tell you also learn Japanese... right now I have short time, but this is language that I would choose in next year on studies... How advanced are you?You said that you translated some roms to PL from English... is FF5 your work, or you work on other rom's? I'm just curious if I use your work or not :) You would probably also like to take a look at Antilost if doesn't already - take a look if not... http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and visit board there... :) this is site runned by our great M^e and highly connected with Xisto...And for the end of post... can you tell me from what city you are? My real name is Andrzej and I'm from Wrocław... so who knows... maybe we are neightbours? :P

Welcome here~ I'm a fellow student of Japanese too, so maybe we can swap pointers~~ Heh heh. Hope you have a fun time here and get hosted soon.I think translation and localisation is really a tough job. I'm a Chinese and I speak English and Chinese fluently but to translate something from English to Chinese and vice versa is so hard, because you're not translating directly, you have to try and capture the essence, the implications of the sentence, the non-written content, when you translate. Which is why I applaud all translators and localisationers <--- is there such a word?? :)...I'm currently working in a small japanese food outlet and I get to use my japanese a lot more! >_< And realise how rusty it is... Learnt a new word the other day: Okini... it's kansai-ben for thank you...

bloody japanese... ripping off good old chinese characters :)but maybe i'll learn japanese too some day, watching anime (dragonball) in the original language is much more fun than in translated english :) :)

Hi L-Voss...

(no nie mĂłw... coraz więcej nas tu :P)...

after this short prefrase to official part...

Weclome :) you for sure would love this board like we all...

Don't tell you also learn Japanese... right now I have short time, but this is language that I would choose in next year on studies... How advanced are you?

You said that you translated some roms to PL from English... is FF5 your work, or you work on other rom's? I'm just curious if I use your work or not :) You would probably also like to take a look at Antilost if doesn't already - take a look if not... http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and visit board there... :) this is site runned by our great M^e and highly connected with Xisto...

And for the end of post... can you tell me from what city you are? My real name is Andrzej and I'm from Wrocław... so who knows... maybe we are neightbours? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Witaj krajanie! :P

Unfortunately, I'm from a pretty small city in GĂłrny Śląsk (not really small in itself, but small compared to Wrocław), even if it's a capital of one of the counties. That city's name is Jastrzębie ZdrĂłj. (have you even heard about it?) It was a spa city before and also has lots of carbon mines... That's a rare conjuction, don't you think? And about your words

You said that you translated some roms to PL from English...

I said:

Only 1 game and 3 fics so far

... I don't think you have played my translation (in singular! not "translations"!), unless you watch anime... (If you want to learn Japanese, you should!) That game is Love Hina Advance for GBA and it's very high on the toplists! Check it at hack.avathar.info or http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ or http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ . Neither of them are my sites, because I don't have my own one. (Hmmm... That's one of my reasons for joining this community... But not only, and not major!) And if you like j-RPGs, you should wait for my co-translation which I'm making with one of the greatest ROM-translators in Poland. His nickname is FenX. I won't tell you the title of that game, but if you like FF5, then you surely have played it! And my very next translation will be some Dragon Ball Z game for GBA... I won't tell you the title either. And about my Japanese - I know only simple basics, I'm really bad in grammar, but I'm slowly beggining to understand it... (Learning kanji is much easier! Here is a good page: http://www.kanjisite.com/ ) Watching anime is a great help, you know! :P And it's important to know English whn you're learning Japanese beacause they borrowed some of the words from that language (e.g:

クリムソン kurimuson crimson; ハムスター hamusutaa hamster; バス basu bus ;etc.)

Chiiyo - In my dictionary, Okini is ONLY a surname... (沖二)... Hmmm...

Okini is kansai-ben, meaning it's slang used by people from the Kansai-region (ben meaning... accent?? Brain thinks in japanese, can't really translate to english). Strangely enough a lot of Japanese in Singapore use it. O_o. Probably means there are a lot of Kansai Japanese in Singapore? :) Or just that they like my workplace's food...Kansai-ben is actually quite informal. But apparently very fun to use. It's quite different from traditional formal japanese. But then there are so many differing levels of formality and so many different accents (there's Kyoto-ben too, which is very pretty and very formal) it's almost like another language altogether...Wow. You translated Love Hina Advance? I don't watch Love Hina but you can probably head down to the Anime thread we had some time ago and revive it... As for japanese, I studied at a school with a japanese teacher, so my grammar is pretty strong, although without frequent usage it's not all that good anymore... Kanji is easy for me because I'm chinese! *grin*

Heh, I thought that the only difference between Kansai speaking and Tokyo speaking is only a different accent... But that's good to know. Do you know ancient Japanese? I don't, but I've heard it's VERY different from the modern Japanese... The ず character is often used there... I think it means -ない ("not" for example:

読まない yomanai "not to read") in modern Japanese, but I'm just guessing.

Well, I've heard that Chinese has more Kanji for use than Japanese (Japanese's using 1945 characters and the whole Kanji has 60000 characters!). So, how is it? I'm just curious...

It's interesting, at least, that all the different accents have slightly different ways of saying things. Like in Tokyo-ben you would say "desu ne" but in Kyoto-ben you would say "dosu e" which is more antiquated and formal at the same time. Of course the basic grammar structure is the same, but there are words that are just pronounced differently, just like how people from different regions of china speak mandarin in different ways. Not too sure about ancient japanese and the zu-character though... heh heh...Well, in Chinese, each character we use stands for a particular meaning, somehting like what Kanji is to japanese. But we use "kanji" all the time, whereas in japanese you would have syllables-style characters like hiragana and katakana for grammar and other uses. Hiragana and Katakana are phonetic, they serve as an alphabet of sorts. Every kanji character can be pinned down to their phonetic origins and written in an "alphabet" in a sense. But in chinese we don't have that sort of "alphabet", everything is written in kanji. Even stuff like "is", "was" that kind of words that have hiragana in Japanese, is written in "kanji" style characters in Chinese. There are quite a lot of characters in Chinese, the language is known to be the most difficult language to learn, purely because we have a character for everything, and each character may have up to five or six different pronunciations, intonations, and coupled with other characters, may have a myriad of meanings, up to the tens and dozens.Although I'm chinese, my country adopts a two-language education system, where everyone learns everything in english, and English is our first language, and we all have to learn our mother tongue as a second language, which in my case is Chinese. So, in actual fact, my english is a lot stronger than my chinese, it's more apparent when you're talking about written chinese, because I just don't have the memory capacity to remember all the characters... >_< In fact, my japanese is probably catching up with my chinese...

My wife is Japanese and we (including the two boys) are going to Japan this summer to visit family this July. I have to work online so I will still be connected daily while I am there. Natually I am also interested in most things Japanese. Even before I met my wife I became an avid Go player. I like Japanese animation, especial those by Miyazaki. American animation is too noisy and obsessed with comedy. I am really crazy about the new Japanese TV show called Hikaru no Go, about a boy who meets the spirit of an ancient go player.The closest I ever got to Poland is Latvia, spent a summer there in 91.