xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
qwijibow

What Are The Dangers Of Overclocking A GPU ? but keeping the voltage at default.

From my understanding, The permenant damage dangers of overclocking lie in the heat.But what if, for a small performace boot, i increce the GPU speed, amd mmory speed of my Nvidia GeFrce FX 5700LE, but leave the voltage at its default.If i push it too far, i know i will suffer from on screen artifacts, but will any damage be done ???thanks.

neh.. That risk is only there when you push up the voltage. The only thing you will suffer are indeed those artefacts

Generating an electro magnetic flux dencity uses enery, and creates heat.
But maintaining an already created flux dencity does not consume energy, and therefore does not generate heat.

a 200Mhz clock will build 200,000,000 fields a second, a higher clock will build more per second, and therefore will generate more heat...

in other words, ther IS a danger of overheating... but im afraid i dont understand enough about ship design, or how much more energy these E-M fields will consume...

im trying to work out how dangerous, how much life span im losing by only increacing lock speed.

Hmm... you're right about that but take note of this :If you overclock gradually and stop when experiencing artefacts, the chances that you blow up your GPU are small. Also, i think the extra heat that is produced by increased voltage is higher than that of a few mhz more clock cycles. (Increased voltage keeps the core more stable so you can crank out a few more mhz more)By the way, the extra performance you gain is not much and you might lose maybe 2 or 3 years of lifespan for the hardware so it's not really efficient to overclock (most people do it for fun or to see how much their hardware can handle)

LOL.. i know, im just curiouse.

ALSO...

bash-2.05b$ cat /proc/cpuinfo  | grep bogomipsbogomips        : 4767.74

thats a very high score... but its an annoying fidley number, i would be so much happyer if it was a nice round even 5000.. (or 4500)

Untill chaintech fixes the bios issue that arrises when 2 DIMMS are in use, and Cooll'n'Quiet frequency scaling is enabled, i have to keep C&Q turned off :)
so im looking for new ways to keep my system cool..

ive underclocked my Athlon64 3400+ cpu to 1.3 volts, and its still perfectly stable, even under sustaied high load.

We need open Bios's.

HeyI dont know if it is slim to underclock your CPU Did you only do the voltage underclock or eiter the MHZ to?Greetz Luc

Oops, i meant to say Undervolt.im keepuing it at its default rated clock, but ive rediced the volts to about 1.35. (knocked 5 degrre of chip temp, which is just enough to redice the spu fan to idle at 3000 rpm.

Hmm... you're right about that but take note of this :

If you overclock gradually and stop when experiencing artefacts, the chances that you blow up your GPU are small. Also, i think the extra heat that is produced by increased voltage is higher than that of a few mhz more clock cycles. (Increased voltage keeps the core more stable so you can crank out a few more mhz more)

By the way, the extra performance you gain is not much and you might lose maybe 2 or 3 years of lifespan for the hardware so it's not really efficient to overclock (most people do it for fun or to see how much their hardware can handle)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah all that is true. but if u are overclocking and worrying about to much of a heat increse u might want to consider a better heatsink than your stock one. it would help to reduce heat when overclocking. and if u want to do some serious overclocking and know wat u are doing u might want to try water cooling i use 8% antifreeze and 92%distilled water and it seems to do relly well under stressed conditions

Nothing bad happens to GPU when overclocked. When the heat is too big, PC simply shuts down. I was playing with my GeForce FX5600XT card. I increased GPU from 234 to 350MHz. And gues what - better performance + dead cooling fan (after about two mounths, but it was generating trange sounds looong ago...).Now my PC is runnig without GPU fan at 50MHz, what means playing games no more. I'm lazy to go to a shop and get new fan for my GF :)Overclocking the memory was not as sucessfull as GPU. Original speed is 400MHz. Max setting I could reach was 410MHz - at higher rates the card simply refuses to work... So I left 400Mhz.P.S. my video cards manufacturer is Sparkle - company from Taiwan, producing cheap computers parts. That's why my fan died so quickly I think. With more seriuos video cards from best manufacturers (for example MSI, Asus) that shouldn't happen... :)

Ive got a Sparkle :)Yah, the fans sucks !!!when you turn the computer on, the fan is poorly weighted, is off-center and vibrates he whole card, makes a nasty noise. after a minute or so, the fan seems to center itself, and runs vibration free.my Geforce FX 5700 LE does not have an i2c bus, so it wont be able to shutdown on overheat.I een tried doubleing the GPU clock, and there is no performance increace...runs 50 frames per second normal, 50 overclockied in UT2004 with all graphical settings at maximum quality. And Anti-Aliasing 2X Gausian.so im going to stck as it is. Maybe i will replace the GPU fan if i find myself ina computer shop.