xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hexwiz

Spyware And Adware: Remove 'em All

Spyware and adware are servers sitting on your computer sending information about you and your surfing habits to a remote location, bringing up annoying pop-up windows at the most inappropriate times, changing your browser settings and using up precious bandwidth. Here's some registry settings which are most commonly used by such warez to load themselves at startup. However make sure that you back up your registry before proceeding, in case something goes wrong.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MsConfig

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\RunOnce

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\RunServices

Locate the above keys and after carefully inspecting the values/paths settings, note all key/values that you are sure, is spyware/adware and delete the files corresponding to the values from your hard disk. Then delete the keys/values from the registry altogether.

-----This came from the tutorials section, right? I remember seeing it there. Well, it doesn't belong there. This doesn't meet the requirements of a tutorial. I didn't move it here, but I saw it was unapproved in this section, so now I'm just approving it.-----szupie

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

thanks for the tipi'll keep that in mindi remember it took me lik alot of spyware programs to get rid of this annoying spyware. It would make random words a link on webpages and yea. It took SpySweeper, Ad-Aware. SpyBot, to get rid of it x_xthis will save me some time i think

On top of that, I personally use MS antispyware beta, Spybot search and destroy, and google toolbar.  Haven't had any problems with the three proggies running.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, microsoft antispyware is surprisingly good. It warns you when anything tries yo add itself to the startup of your pc and ask if you wish to allow it, and also whether you internet explorer home page is allowed to be change, to stop adware changing anything. I still use adaware to scan and remove my spyware and adware though :D its still the best!

yeah, microsoft antispyware is surprisingly good. It warns you when anything tries yo add itself to the startup of your pc and ask if you wish to allow it, and also whether you internet explorer home page is allowed to be change, to stop adware changing anything. I still use adaware to scan and remove my spyware and adware though :D its still the best!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyone heard of Hitman Pro? This is an application which downloads AdAware, Spybot S&D, ... and automatically runs them in batch. Use this application in combination with MS Antispyware and I am sure you will get rid of (most of) your Adware/Spyware!

Check it out, it really works wonderful, and it FREE!:

Hitman Pro

I posted this in another thread realating to the Computer just randomly restarting:

1. Check that your Virus Program is Updated and do a Full System Scan.

2. Download some free Spyware/Adware removal tools:

a. Ad-Aware SE Personal

b. CWShredder

c. HijackThis

d. Microsoft AntiSpyware

e. Spybot - Search & Destroy

f. SpywareBlaster

3. Not free but very good:

a. NoAdware

b. XoftSpy

4. Make sure Windows is Up to date: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx

Also want to check this Registry location as well as the ones listed in the 1st post above:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3465555210-2527735589-1010642068-1458\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

S-1-5-21-3465555210-2527735589-1010642068-1458 will be different on all computers as well as for all users of the computer when you go to HKEY_USERS make sure you check each of these "not" the ones with _classes after them. Some/Most spyware hides here as well.

Also check:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-

This must be done with the current user logged in.

I'm really surprised no-one has mentioned System Mechanic 5 Professional, this is a great tool for improving your computers performance, it also gets rid of spyware, adware etc, and also sorts out and cleans your registry. There are lots of features and its well worth buying for only $30 or something.

Another great tool is tuneUp Utilities. This pretty much does the same thing, but helps in different ways.

I highly recommend both!

I used to use all of the rubbish spyware tools mentioned above, but cant stand a lot of them.

Ed

Notice from Klass:
Add URL Links for the products mentioned, saves a web search.
I highly recommend using links when listing software.

Edited by Klass (see edit history)

SpyWare DoctorSpyWare Doctor is probably my best and favourite SpyWare/Adware protector. Not only that but it cleans up Trojan's as well. It's really easy to use and it works wonderfully!

It's by far my favourite free program.

Notice from Klass:
Add URL Links for the product mentioned, saves a web search.
I highly recommend using links when listing software.

Edited by Klass (see edit history)

Hai I have tried many anti spyware software programs. I think that Microsoft AntiSpyware the best. But i can't use it, becuse i have windows ME (i have an old computer)I think you must have an antivirus and a firewall too. Your protection are completed if you have an anti spyware, a firewall and an antivirus. Hitman Pro is a software with many software. There are ad-aware, spybot search wand destroy and many more. So it's a powerfull program. I recommend it.

And what about ConterSpy 1.0?
PC Magazine says that it's the best antispyware today. So I downloaded, installed and found it to be really good. CounterSpy found 150+ spyware in my computer.
Before I was using Spybot Search&Destroy. It's also a good tool but like everyone know that free software just can't be good for a long time.
CounterSpy is godd but free. Link to free evaluation version download page is here. Try it out and say what do you think...