xisto Community
rapco

Antivirus Slows Down Your PC? norton does...

OPk, i opened i topic about not being able to uninstall norton... the last post was about the "slow down" effect of norton....

Can't unistall norton antivirus 2005

I'm oppening this topic to get to know the antivirus... i'm currently using McAfee 9.0 wichi find excelente...

I have tested panda also, very good one too!!!!!

NORTON SLOW DOWN THE PC... AND THE NORTON INTERNET SECURITY...WELLL....THAT'S EVEN WORSE!!!!!!!!

Please comment on the antivirus u have used, and if they have slow down your pc...

I really like Avast! antivirus, but there is a big problem with the latest version 4.6 in the CPU department(at least on our PC). Man, I kept getting slow speeds from our high-speed internet & I finally found out the reason. I took a look at task manager to see what was up there & this new Web Shield scanner(ashWebsvr.exe) process was taking up 80%-99% CPU at all times. I don't remember the past version taking this much CPU but then again they added this Web Shield. Eevn though this was added you can pause this scanner & still run 5 or 6 providers to have a high CPU coming from Avast! Are others going thru high CPU with this latest version of Avast? My PC comes close to locking up over the CPU with Avast! I was beginning to think some type threat had gotten back on the PC but it's the CPU with Avast! causing the slowdown...

HI all,theres a reason that Norton AV slows down Windows OS...Norton AV moves the location of some of Window's OS files..and Windows doesn't like that very much.This can cause Windows to eventually crash.. & often does!just FYIRGPHNX

Hellblazer, it's very easy, uninstall it, install mcafee or another anitvirus and you'll see what we're talking about... The reason you don't feel the slow down, it's because you're used to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!I'M I RIGTH BOYS?

It's not THAT bad... I mean, sure it slows down your comp a bit... but it's stopping viruses from getting in. Besides, if you're not using the net, you can just disable norton and the comp runs fine! I mean, seriously, you dont need your PC to run at its MAX just when your surfin... and it doesnt interfere with internet speed. Come on, whats the huge problem here?

It's not THAT bad... I mean, sure it slows down your comp a bit... but it's stopping viruses from getting in. Besides, if you're not using the net, you can just disable norton and the comp runs fine! I mean, seriously, you dont need your PC to run at its MAX just when your surfin... and it doesnt interfere with internet speed. Come on, whats the huge problem here?

Well... sorry to disagree with you mimi_m, the "huge problem here" is that i use broadband internet connection.. meaning: I'M ALWAYS CONNECTED!, so i need my antiviru software to RUN AT ALL TIMES!, beasides, McAfee it's stopping viruses too!!!

Why do u think a service like Hotmail (a huge cominuty) uses McAfee virus scanner rather than Norton?????

I'm not trying to attack Symantec.. Particion Magic IT'S EXCELENT!, but their antivirus is not... sorry

running nortan on a p4 3.0 and i don't notice a difference in speed at all... just reinstalled the os and was running for a few days with out nortan av + internet security...and after i installed there wasnt a difference.... except when your installing or moving big files...and the it feels like scanning each one... i find that annoying.

i do have some questions regarding this post by RGPHNX

HI all,theres a reason that Norton AV slows down Windows OS...
Norton AV moves the location of some of Window's OS files..
and Windows doesn't like that very much.
This can cause Windows to eventually crash.. & often does!
just FYI

I am running on windows xp and it seems (*note seems..it may have been random) that every few months (has happened twice already) the computer just starts shutting down randomly I was wondering if this has anything to do with nortan it happens exspecialy when viewing media...such as playing music or watching something on the computer... some times when your doing this it will happen every 2 minutes, thats when it gets bad.. right before the reformat. i almost thought that it was a hardware error... but that clearly isnt the case.

any advice? because my computer has frozen 3 times in the past 24 hours.. its not the same as it was before (before it used to restart. now it just jams cannot even move the mouse) ..but im afriad that it might be coming back.

otherwise everything runs fine and it usualy goes for days with out a shutdown.

I have had only limited experience with McAfee ...and from what I saw that it does excelent with viruses and trogins. but it didnt seem to do anything about most spyware. not that nortan antivirus does.. but the firewall does keep it out.

I also have norton antivirus systemworks, It dosen't seem to slow down my computer, but it scans pretty slow. Maybe i have to many files. I don't know. But i don't think so it should slow down your computer

I was having Norton at first when I purchased my computer and I have feel that it is really a big resource hog. Then I have make switch to free version of Avast and it is better than that. Now my computer which is AMD Athlon 2.4 is not as slow as it was in the time of Norton. I have also not faced any problem of virus or spyware. ( May be the reason of that I use Firefox instead of IE).

NORTON SLOW DOWN THE PC... AND THE NORTON INTERNET SECURITY...WELLL....THAT'S EVEN WORSE!!!!!!!!

hey!

i've heard norton does the same to other people's computers ... but im a current (and proud!) owner of norton 2005 ... and i have had only a few problems, but none of which have slowed down my computer! what are you running on?

-- bigredrosen

Well bigredrosen... i don't know if you find a 3.0 pentium IV with Hyperthreading, 1GB of dimm ram (dual channel), 120 GB a bad plataform....I have run NORTON in m,any many pc's!!!!!!!!!!And for me, IT SLOWS DOWN THE PC!. i'm not asking people to LEAVE it, i just want to know if others have expereinced the same, and, if you read some of the postings... IT DOES!So, if it works fien for you, well, fine for you, not for me, and apparently many others....If it's not meant for you.. is not meant for you .