xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kevlar557

Home Networking Problems

I'm trying to set up a small home network between two computers. I have SUsE linux on one computer, and XP pro on the other. I believe I have the hardware end sorted out, but I am having much trouble with the set-up of the network devices. on the linux machine, it is asking for an IP address for the computer. I don't know what I should put, can someone clue me in? On the XP machine, it is trying to renew my IP address, but it will not renew it. It than says that it has "Little or No Connectivity". I can't hook the computers up to a brodband internet to get the IP's, because I only have dial-up. I really need help with this, cuz I need this network for a LAN party in a couple weeks.

Are you using a switch or hub, or are you using a direct connection (crossover cable) or wireless Ad Hoc?I gathered from your post that you are using wireless but you didn't specify if you were using a WAP (wireless access point). If you are not using a WAP, then I am sure that I can not help you as your installation will require specific information to be entered into both computers and I can't do that. Sorry. Usually, if both machines were windows based, windows would take care of all of the settings for you then you save it to diskette and go to the next computer.With linux, I'm not entirely sure how to install a network but will help as I can. With the WAP, you should be able to use it as a DHCP. The DHCP will automatically assign an IP to each computer on the network and will allow for better security.Leave a little more information about your setup and I'll see what I can do.vujsa

I do know one thing about IPs a local host is always 127.0.0.1 put that as the IP address on both computers if asked, set the XP as the host and it should set the system up for you, since it will assign an address for the client (the Linux Box in this case) and then all you should have to do is run the program that the XP machine will provide for you. It does it fine between all my Windows machines, and after you run the wizard provided within XP you should not even have to worry about IP addresses