xisto Community
dal_segno

How Do I Make A Message Board?

Does anyone know how to make a message board? Or know a place where I can get one without downloading anything?

If you have hosting, you can go to your cPanel and install a phpBB board automatically. It's at the bottom of the page. If not, you need a host with MySQL and php support and then the two big boards are invision power board and phpbb. I'm sure you could find a free version of each floating around the net somewhere :)

Does anyone know how to make a message board?  Or know a place where I can get one without downloading anything?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try this one http://www.ezforums.org/, it's very easy to use and fast. I hope you'll like it.

About EzForums

EzForums.org is a free hosting service for Web Wiz Forums. Web Wiz Forums is installed for you and is ready to go in 5 minutes! Unlimited bandwidth, unlimited storage for files/ images.

If you want one yourself, you can install one through your Xisto cPanel. Down, near the bottom, there is the option to install phpBB, or if you go into Fantastico, there is an even wider variety available. You could also try installing a CMT (like PHP Nuke) they provide a forum, and also allow you to run your entire website through them.Ezforums provide a message board hosted with them, which means you would have to link to it through your website. You would have much less control over it, and it probably has adverts on your message boards (I haven't looked at it yet).

>:)

I would recommend using SMF, the Simple Machine Forum. It's free, you can download it and then upload it to your site and use it. There are lots of add-ons for forum-based games, activities and stuff. Trekkie101 has a tutorial on how you can get it here.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you try it.

Does anyone know how to make a message board?  Or know a place where I can get one without downloading anything?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am not quite sure how to answer your query. First of all you need to know JavaScript, PHP or PERL or both, HTML and or now XHTML, and database query language like MySQL, and that is just to get started. It is possible to make (create or design a message board without a database but it would eat up a bunch

of space on your hard drive and would work best using PERL because I actually had one that operated using PERL but with PHP and MySQL just about all message board now use the two in combination since they are both free and work well together.

It is not possible to do this without downloading something. You would need a good editor program with features that far exceed those offered by the notepad or wordpad by Windows and you would need a webserver to test your scripts on, you would also need a database server, and then of course you would need information of some sort because you asked a question that requires more information...unless you want to spend alot of time online reading and printing information viewed on various websites you have to download something even if it is just a text file that helps you achieve your purpose.

Are you browsing the Web with a Web TV that only allows you to surf and not download something? DOWNLOADING is the act of takinf information from another computer and placing it on you computer. If you have Outlook Express for Internet Explorer or Messenger for Netscape or Thunderbird with Firefox or Pegasus or Eudora or any other mail client you are DOWNLOADING.

Please be more specific and let me know what exactly you really want to do without downloading...Why reinvent the wheel when the is Invivsion (this message board here uses it) or phpBB2 or Mercury, or Punbb or YaBB, or Spaltt and so on.

What the hell is this topic doing in JavaScript? On the topic... SMF is the best free forums software. You need hosting package with PHP and MySQL (asta has). The installation itself is really easy.

Like others have iterated and reiterated, Javascript can not create a message board, nor does this said topic belong in this forum. Javascript was and is meant for adding dynamic elements to your page, nothing more. You can not create a message board with JS because it was not designed to, plus it's not a powerful language like PHP and Perl/CGI.

You could use Javascript for certain elements of the message

board like a fast reply box like this forum has, or for dynamic menus, but that's it really. You would use PHP and/or Perl/CGI along with MySQL and/or flat text files to be able to create message board software.

I would recommend some message board software, but since I'm only aware of the more renowned like PHPBB and IPB [ which you are most likely familiar with ], I'll digress.

I would personally rather you make a Forum in PHP/MySQL than anything, some premade forums have things that sometimes you just dont need those extra features. If you want to learn PHP I suggest going here and for SQL go here.

By the way, why the crap is this topic in the Javascript forum anyway? (credits to everyone else that said it)