xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lesmizzie

Has Anyone Tried Tiger? The new OS release called Tiger

I have read some rave reviews and also a couple of disappointed reviews about Tiger, so I was wondering what your opinion of it is. I have OS 10.2.8 with a G3 and was wondering 1)would it work on my computer, a G3, 2)what are its advantages and 3)what are the problems with it (ie disadvantages?)??? I probably cannot afford it for a long while but I am wondering whether I should invest in something like this.Also, can you upgrade a G3 ibook to a higher G4 or G5? That's hardware, isn't it?

You should be able to upgrade you G3 to Tiger. Apple has said that any computer that can run Panther should run Tiger. You do need a DVD drive to install it. (unless you use Apple's disk trading program.) I have used Tiger and I love it. If you've got the money (and especially if you qualify for an education discount) I recommend it.To put is simply, you can't upgrade your iBook from a G3 to a G4 or G5. It might be possible, but I've never heard of someone doing it. It just wouldn't be worth it. So I would say your best option would be to buy a new iBook G4 and then you could get Tiger and iLife '05 for free.

To tell the truth from a windows user, who hasnt always liked apple, it looks rather dumb, it seems to add a lot of junk to the table that just isnt needed, but then again ive hated mac for ages, I used a mac after using an old BBC thing and I liked Windows a lot more than either, My windows install has been stable for six months and can stay on for 6 weeks withough fail, and no blue screens of death yet! So mac doesnt seem so stable to me, and although ive seen people swear by them, I'd rather swear at them, the UI isnt helpful to me but I then I have my own opinions.

I think the most valuable feature for me, and the most under-rated, since there's really not much to shout about... is that it runs. Faster than Panther. On older computers.That by itself should be something big. The new mac OS runs FASTER than the older one. You don't see that happening in the Windows world. Having used Windows 3.1, and then Windows 95, and then 98 and then 2000 and then ME and then finally XP, every single OS upgrade has just made my computer run slower. Yes, there are more features (and so does Tiger, Tiger also has new features), but since I was a poor student and stuck using the same computer for more like 7 years, I knew that each successive upgrade was slower. Then here comes a new Mac OS that runs even faster than Panther. I would know, I did a full clean-up of my hard drive and was downloading and installing all of my twenty-eight programs at one go. 28 programs all open, all running, and changing the preferences for them one by one, whilst some others were still installing and stuff. No slow-down whatsoever. Rocking.Using a 1 GHz PB though. Not too sure about the G3, probably your biggest problem would be your graphics card isn't supported. Don't worry, you're not missing much. I just saw the infamous ripple effect, yeah, it's cool, took me by surprise, but not something you HAVE to HAVE.

Here's my quick review of some of the tyhings I like in Tiger:Spotlight: It really is amazing. My brother brought over his iBook that he just installed Tiger on and even though it's an old G5, his Spotlight search was fast and the results were easy to use. I really liked it. My only concern is how big the database file is that has all the information about your indexed hard drive. Other than that I think Spotlight is great! Dashboard: It's cool, but it's really not for everyone. Some people might just as soon not use it and thats okay. For those people who do use it, there is a lot to be done. You can do just about anything with a widget. As Apple has said, "Where there's a widget there's a way." Some of the concerns I have are that I've heard that it uses a lot of memory so you'll probably want a new computer and some people have used Safari's auto install as a security hole. So far I haven't heard of Apple planning to do anything to fix it. There are a lot of other cool features too. Safari RSS, Mail 2, Automater... I would say that this is the biggest step in OS X so far. I only I had a computer to use it on.

You should be able to upgrade you G3 to Tiger.  Apple has said that any computer that can run Panther should run Tiger.  You do need a DVD drive to install it.  (unless you use Apple's disk trading program.)  I have used Tiger and I love it.  If you've got the money (and especially if you qualify for an education discount) I recommend it.

To put is simply, you can't upgrade your iBook from a G3 to a G4 or G5.  It might be possible, but I've never heard of someone doing it.  It just wouldn't be worth it.  So I would say your best option would be to buy a new iBook G4 and then you could get Tiger and iLife '05 for free.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for the advice! I wasn't going to invest in a new ibook, but I was just wondering if it was possible. It would probably cost more than it's worth, though, like you said.

Here's my quick review of some of the tyhings I like in Tiger:

Spotlight: It really is amazing.  My brother brought over his iBook that he just installed Tiger on and even though it's an old G5, his Spotlight search was fast and the results were easy to use.  I really liked it.  My only concern is how big the database file is that has all the information about your indexed hard drive.  Other than that I think Spotlight is great!

Dashboard: It's cool, but it's really not for everyone.  Some people might just as soon not use it and thats okay.  For those people who do use it, there is a lot to be done.  You can do just about anything with a widget.  As Apple has said, "Where there's a widget there's a way."  Some of the concerns I have are that I've heard that it uses a lot of memory so you'll probably want a new computer and some people have used Safari's auto install as a security hole.  So far I haven't heard of Apple planning to do anything to fix it. 

There are a lot of other cool features too.  Safari RSS, Mail 2, Automater...  I would say that this is the biggest step in OS X so far.  I only I had a computer to use it on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the input! I have decided not to upgrade as of now because it seems that it is not essential.

After a week of using Tiger, and after really settling in with all my preferences and programs,It's really not all that different from Panther, with the possible exception for me would be the Dashboard, because I use the stickies there and stuffed it with small games. I've always thought games were too troublesome if they had to be opened as an application... So I have mini Solitaire, Pacman, Memory and Snake on my Dashboard, and when I'm bored, I just hit F12 and I can start playing.Beyond the cosmetic features, I still feel that Tiger is faster than Panther, with the possible exception when I play videos on VLC or on Mplayer, then I'd have to hide my other programs or the video would jerk. I'm not too sure whether it has to do with the OS or the burden it's putting on my system, or actually it's VLC and Mplayer's problem, because neither has been updated for Tiger as far as I know. Also might have to do with the new codecs the fansubbers' been using.Oh! And miraculously, my download speeds for bittorrent has jumped tremendously. I used be able to download only nine items at one go, now that limit is gone, and I download a lot faster too. I'm not altogether too sure whether this is because of Tiger, or the new bittorrent program, or something on the hardware side (maybe my cable people?), but it's welcome anyways. IE:mac is no longer included in the new OS, neither is iLife applications or Stuffit or GraphicConvertor, so I downloaded IE:mac (for testing purposes) and Stuffit Expander Standalone for those .sit files. One thing that grabs me is that when you select several items in the Finder and click Get Info, you get different Get Info windows for each item instead of a joint Get Info for multiple items Window, but I read in a review you can still get that functionality if you use the Inspector (Alt-Apple-I) so that's no big problem, just have to remember that sometimes. I'm sure in time to come I will need that separated Get Info windows functionality...I still haven't figured out the RSS function for Safari, can't say I've had a lot of time to play with it. The new Mail is not as ugly as some people make it out to be, it's just different. I don't mind it, really. I'm a pretty organised person, so I don't use Spotlight often, I even remapped the keyboard shortcut to something else cos I needed Apple-Space to change languages. But it did come in useful when I couldn't figure out where my browser downloaded a file to. Nice that it's like global, and also on Save to windows and on Finder windows. Makes it very intuitive to just type and hit search.Oh, and I like how now you can change the colours of the calendars in iCal, as in choose what colour you want instead of being confined to the six odd colours they have. That's a big thing for me, since I have a lot of calendars...Yeah, sorry for the randomness of this review, trying to gather my thoughts at the same time...

I have read some rave reviews and also a couple of disappointed reviews about Tiger, so I was wondering what your opinion of it is.  I have OS 10.2.8 with a G3 and was wondering 1)would it work on my computer, a G3, 2)what are its advantages and 3)what are the problems with it (ie disadvantages?)???  I probably cannot afford it for a long while but I am wondering whether I should invest in something like this.

Also, can you upgrade a G3 ibook to a higher G4 or G5?  That's hardware, isn't it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1)I have tried tiger with my iMac G3 500MHZ, iBook G4 1.2GHZ and PowerBook G4 1.5GHZ

Works flawlessly, the best os that i had tried

But, for G3 w/o DVD drive, must ask for CD version

2)Spotlight, Rss safari, RSS wallpaper, New Finder, faster .... do i need to say more?

3)Slower start up (by 3sec) and need more RAM to run smoothly (512mb at least)

Get a slightly more powerful iBook instead of buying tiger. More value in the long run

Glad i am using OSX

:):):) java script:emoticon(':)')

I have mixed feelings about Tiger. First off, it's the first OS X release that I didn't get for free through ADC, so I guess right there it was an uphill battle. The OS seems quite stable, and most companies are just about through rushing out updates that fix compatibility issues. The loading times do seem a tad faster, and the new features do seem to work as they're intended. I'm always skeptical of a new OS, especially a major release, so I install it on a non-vital machine (usually my mothers) and try it out before I install it on my machines. So far, it's worked great, with only a few minor glitches.Of the new features, the things that I like the best are better RSS integration (that new RSS screensaver is flat-out awesome in my book), an overall tighter feel in the finder, and Dashboard. When I first heard about Dashboard, I knew it was an obvious Konfabluator knockoff, but you know what? Apple really pulled through, and I'm very impressed by the widgets. Even though Arlo is fantastic, and I support his work, I much prefer the Dashboard "behind-the-scenes" approach over the "always-on-the-desktop" style of Konfabulator.Now, the real question is, what will Apple include in their next major update? I think people right now are viewing some of these features as non-vital in the core OS, so when does it stop being useful, and start being bloatware?

I've used the Server version, it is pritty sweet, but not that much better than panther. It is worth the upgrade from 10.2. The new iChat is better, but sometimes the fonts don't work right, that makes me oh so mad.It sorta looks weird, but it is kinda cool....Kofibulator is just as good if not better than dashboard, and I havent found much use of Spotlight that the old search coulnt do...

Tiger will run on your G3, but it won't run extrememly fast and you won't be able to take advantage of all of its features. The upgrade of a G3 to a G4 could very likely be possible, but in the end it would probably end up costing more money than just buying a new one. The new iBook G4's are pretty nice:)