xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
qwijibow

To Swap, Or Not To Swap ? What are your swapping settings ?

Do you tweak swap settings ?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do any of you guys tweak your virtual memory / swap settings ?(either with windows, or linux kernel)have you noticed an increace in performance after your tweaks ?if so, how did you tweak, how much ram do you have, and on a typical use, how many applications are you running, how heavily do you use memory on your computer ???In the linux kernel, there was a huge debate about how "swappy" the kernel should be.one hal said the kernel should not swap at all, untill it was needed.. keeping the ram use high, filling it with buffers when it wasnt needed. (the normal linux way)the other side said the kernel should swap often Like windows, keeping the ram useage as low as possable.The advantages of the first argument, is speed. Provided you have a sencible about of ram, (hich is very cheap) application loading, switching and execution is fast... but suddenly slows then 100% ram is used from application data (not buffers) and suddenly the coomputer has to start swapping.The advantage of the second arguments, a slightly slower performace, but will allow more memory useage before th computer hits the wall, of 100% in use ram.the end result, (of the llinux arguemnt) was that users get to decide there own swappyness. (default is 60%))have any of you linux users tweaked this value ? (in the file /proc/sys/vm/swappiness)have any of you windows users tweaked swap settings in the performace tab of control center ?

Windows swap is utter b***s**t. There's NEVER any performance gain - not that I've noticed.. It is advised that one should change the default swap settings and allocate more swap space on each drive.. this actually serves only to slow the system down, according to what I've experienced.. Why do you even want to talk about memory management in windows... it's it in a fabled class of its own :(

Ive just been tweaking my system, more for fun than anything else.Up untill very recently, i used to keep my swappyness very low, my swap space never went less then 98% free, but recently im computer went completely un-responcive for 2 minutes whilts recompiling a multi-lib enabled glibc, kde, and a few other programs. (i have half a gig of ram)i had been compiling for about an hour, and didnt want to kill the compile process, so instead i just sent it to sleep.but this didnt help much, because my very low spawwyness seting means the sleeping process (and all its memory) was not swapped out.so now ive been experimentiong with a much higher swapyness setting,ts quite difficult to work out which is better,ive been thrashing my system about with a few simple porgrams ive written, but its not helping muchAs for the windows part... well, number of linux users here = low...number of linux users here who do much kernel treawing.... very low.but im sure there must be some windows users have been tweaking swap.