xisto Community
dlynnm

Transfering Files

Hi, does anyone know the best way to transfer files from one persons computer to another.

Details

From a Mac

files were made with Macrmedia Freehand (version 10)

They are files of various flyers & handouts and need to be editable

don't have freehand but if nessary....

I've read that freehand has alot of bugs, is there a better program that can use freehands files without too much of a problem

Thanks

If it's Mac to Mac, I don't know what you mean. I mean, you could e-mail it to yourself, FTP it to your webspace, use a USB key, MP3 player, CD, etc. There are so many options. If the computers are in the same room or you're planning on going to the person's house, I'd go with USB or MP3 player transfer. Otherwise, you could have them download it, if they have a good connection.

If it's Mac to Mac, I don't know what you mean.  I mean, you could e-mail it to yourself, FTP it to your webspace, use a USB key, MP3 player, CD, etc.  There are so many options.  If the computers are in the same room or you're planning on going to the person's house, I'd go with USB or MP3 player transfer.  Otherwise, you could have them download it, if they have a good connection.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for your reply.

It is MAC to Win, computer in a different location. Both have DSL. Yes, I have access to a USB key. I will also have to be able to edit and send the PDF files. Anyone know anything about Infix or FoxIt?

FTP'ing is faster than email, yet still incredibly slow if you have large and/or lots of files. If you could bring the computers together, you could use a firewire cable if they can take the cable.. That's the way we do it when we get a new machine. Firewires can transfer up to 400 megabits per second, which is a lot, lot faster than most others.

If the computer are close together, and they both have the ethernet port (the thing you use to connect to the internet via CAble or DSL) you are not goignt to beleive how easy this is... First share the drive inwhich your file is in, then all you have to do is plug the two ends of the ethernet cable together, and then use the computer that you want to transfer to, go to search, type in the name of the other computer, look for the drive, and then get the file from there, i do this all the time so i pretty much know what im talking about. Make sure that you unshare your drive afterward!! If you need help, let me know, and good luck! **YOu can also buy a firewire, which costs about $ 30.00 but my way is cheaper and more convinient...

If the computer are close together, and they both have the ethernet port (the thing you use to connect to the internet via CAble or DSL) you are not goignt to beleive how easy this is... First share the drive inwhich your file is in, then all you have to do is plug the two ends of the ethernet cable together, and then use the computer that you want to transfer to, go to search, type in the name of the other computer, look for the drive, and then get the file from there, i do this all the time so i pretty much know what im talking about. Make sure that you unshare your drive afterward!! If you need help, let me know, and good luck!
**YOu can also buy a firewire, which costs about $ 30.00 but my way is cheaper and more convinient...

Yes, I tried that before, only it didn't work. Then I found out that you need a crossed-cable for that to work. So then I used floppy disks to transfer everything. I didn't have a USB drive, mp3 player or CD Burner back then.