xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Xacrosancxion

Blu-ray Disc Anyone heard of it?

its supposed to be a disc which is the next step after dvds

Blu-ray, also known as Blu-ray Disc (BD) is the name of a next-generation optical disc format jointly developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), a group of leading consumer electronics and PC companies (including Apple, Dell, Hitachi, HP, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, TDK and Thomson). The format was developed to enable recording, rewriting and playback of high-definition video (HD), as well as storing large amounts of data. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc can hold 25GB, which can be used to record over 2 hours of HDTV or more than 13 hours of standard-definition TV. There are also dual-layer versions of the discs that can hold 50GB.

its also supposed to replace the standard cd and dvds/vcds as data storage and movie/music playback

I've heard various rumors about them and all I can say, if any of this is true, is WOW! Supposedly, the Sony Playstation 3 will implement this new technology while retaining some of it's backwards compatibility. I don't see DVDs being phased out though. Not anytime too soon, anyway. By now, they've sort of earned their place as a media standard and have made it past that shaky initial phase of their induction. They're as affordable as VHS used to be and are no longer viewed as a format for the elite, so to speak, as laserdiscs were.

its supposed to be a disc which is the next step after dvds

its also supposed to replace the standard cd and dvds/vcds as data storage and movie/music playback

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've heard of that before. If it is true, (and it probably is) it would probably revolutionise storages and backup as we know it. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Heh, I've seen an article about this on howstuffworks while I was doing my project about hurricanes. I got side-tracked and clicked the link and read about these disks. They are really incredible. I haven't seen them being sold before, maybe because I'm in a really small city right now...

With the way technology is moving by leaps and bounds hard drives may soon become obsolete. Well maybe in laptops to save consumption energy at first. Hard drives still eat up a lot of your battery power in laptops. And don’t talk about the amount of heat they generate.Just the other day I was talking to someone about how laptops now don’t come with floppy drives. No one would have figured it would happen this soon in such a short time.A business man looking like Doctor Gadget may soon become a reality.

That sounds great... That's like 10 times better than a dvd... I was starting to wonder what other game console that is going to come out after dvd player game console.... Perhaps one day, We will have an XBOX 3 or something with capability to read blu-ray disc... Thanks for the info, if anybody know when it is going to be released, please share.. I would like to find out more about how it is accomplished...

I don't know about this... I read some stuff about it with the PS3 possibly using it, and the website claimed it wouldn't read PS1 discs or something, and that these new discs would bring the infamous disc read error to the ps3... Eh, not sure if I trust it. It sounds too good to work...

I heard that apparently, the Hollywood studios have said that they will not release movies in this format unless all companies involved in making blueray drives agree to never realease a blueray burner to consumers.

they already exist for a while, it's nothing new. they just aren't really on the market yet. the only difference is that it uses a blue laser instead of a red one. it's pretty easy to combine the two lasers, so most players will play the old dvd's too.the reason why they can store more is because of the lower frequency of blue light.

I think they exist for a while already, becuase I saw it in another forum like 3 months ago. Anyway, I think it's still great technology. However, do we really need a disc hold that many memory? A standard DVD movie is only about 3 gig, while VCD is only 1 gig. They probably wouldn't sell a single movie in these discs, however, in moves like Star War, they will probably put all six of them in one of these disc. That will be cool. However, the cost may be a lot.

However, do we really need a disc hold that many memory? A standard DVD movie is only about 3 gig, while VCD is only 1 gig.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With the technology we have now, people would always want more than they need... And also, graphical programs like Photoshop, 3ds Max, etc. are pretty big in size. Though they still won't take up the whole disk... I think you're right. They will most likely use these disks to put bundles of programs/games/movies, perhaps for "the customers' convenience". :)

I've heard quite a lot about them. They will probably replace DVDs just like DVDs replaced VHS. VHS is still used, but now dvds are more popular. I think the same will happen with the Blu-Ray disc.

It's official the PS3 is going to use Blueray disks. Also, the Blueray disk is probably going to be the system for storing HD video, which takes up a lot more space than the SD video stored on DVD.Also Billwaa, DVD video is 9 GB, and VCD is 700 MB...