xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ebbinger_413

Windows XP: System Files & Hard Drive Mess-up Installation problems from CD too

this isnt completly a hardware problem but it is mostly... windows xp was giving me an error message saying that i had deleted/replaced system files that was requred for windows to run properly and it needed me to insert my xp upgrade cd to fix problems (upgrade cd is what came with computer -xp pro) after inserting cd and files started being copied it started popin error messages at me saying that files can not be found on the cd. figured restarting computer and restarting the setup would fix it...well, didnt, just created a bigger problem. it would boot into xp pro and start the setup again, but it would bring up a blue screen saying please insert your windows xp pro cd and hit enter to continue (well, cd was in there and hitting enter would just flash the screen and bring up the message again) tried the xp professional install cd instead of just upgrade cd and it still did the same thing. decided to use another hard drive with windows xp on it to get to the files on the hard drive that has the problems to save the files that we still need. so after changing jumpers around and rebooting windows and letting hardware changes take place, we deleted everything off of the main hard drive (one with problem) except the files that need to be saved (deleted windows folder and everything else as well). went to burn files to a cd but when blank cd was inserted cd drive didnt pick it up. went to update driver (said no new driver found) went online to get latest driver from hp (no new drivers). and now we're stuck. tried lookin online for web space to save the files to (we need 10 gig's of space) but all of them are too expensive and kind of pointless to do when we only need it for a few hours. we dont have any hard drives big enough to hold 10 gig's (all we have is a 4 and a 2 gig) the only hard drive that we have is the 40 gig and that is the one with the problems. have thought of just formatting the hard drive and using data recovery software to get the files back...but there is no garentee on getting the files back and these are important files. have thought of going out to buy a new hard drive but it is too late here (10:15) and every place is already closed and non of my friends have a hard drive that i can borrow as well. what can i do ?!?!?!do any of you know how to fix the cd-rw problem ? or maybe you have one big solution for me...idk...anything plz

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

what's wrong ?1st. i see that you have problem with your HD ? most likely it has a unrecoverable bad sector. happen to me once. so the solution is to partition the HD, and left an C and D. (partition magic will do)2nd. your CDRW.. ? just throw it.. useless.oya.. 1st problem losing files, it could happen coz the connection cable to HD is not right, too lose or too tight. try to change the cable and clean up the pinOncom BeureumThe Best Place in the City

Do you have a Knoppix Live CD?? Try booting up with it and backup all your files onto a cd or the other HD. Then format the hard disks and install the OS again...

Temme if it works....:(

PS:- Get knoppix
http://www.knoppix.org/

Do you have a Knoppix Live CD?? Try booting up with it and backup all your files onto a cd or the other HD. Then format the hard disks and install the OS again...

Temme if it works....:(

PS:- Get knoppix

http://www.knoppix.org/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

great idea...umm yeah...but we kinda got it fixed now thanks a lot...grabbed a cdrw from other computer and used that instead, so now we're stuck here burnin cds (10 gigs worth) but its workin...dont know why i just didnt think of this before but yeah...w/e thanks again

great idea...umm yeah...but we kinda got it fixed now thanks a lot...grabbed a cdrw from other computer and used that instead, so now we're stuck here burnin cds (10 gigs worth) but its workin...dont know why i just didnt think of this before but yeah...w/e thanks again

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great!! Now i wanted 'nakul' for the avatar...