xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ninjamunky

Help: Has My Ie Been Hijacked ?

I'm not sure what happened... I've been messing around a little bit with boot screens and login screens today, but for some reason my IE homepage looks like this.

http://echo.cx/banque-en-ligne/

And when you click the link to go to the webpage, it goes to this.

http://echo.cx/banque-en-ligne/

I know that that is not a real error page. I also did some research. This domain is owned by some guy who also owns one called mymailgenie.com There doesn't seem to be any information on either of the sites, and they are basically the same site just different names and domains and one's unfinished. I e-mailed a semi-firey e-mail hoping that they'll send me info on how to get rid of it. I've been trying to do adware scans and stuff, but nothing seems to be getting it. Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Hey ninjamunky,

Does it happen with all other pages too - coz usually browser hijacking does it for good - ie. any page you try to access would take you to a different set of page(s) or your homepage would automatically revert back to some unknown site.

Anyways, from what you've described your homepage as - it surely has been redirected to whatever site that is. Your first action should be to download one of the softwares like HijackIE and do a thorough scan of your system. Alos try out other Spyware Removers such as Spybot Search & Destroy - an excellent freeware spyware scanner. Run all of them and see if it helps and then lets us know again...

Regards,

m^e

I downloaded HijackThis and here's what I found that it was.

Posted Image

I think I might e-mail that guy back who has the mymailgenie.com and mymailtracker.com domains registered and tell him off and show him this screeny, and say, owned n00b. Thanks for the help :(

Yup surely it was from some service which used that file redirect to hijack your browser. You should definitely write back to them - or even threaten them to stop such activities or else you can file your report to certain organizations who deal with this kind of problems. All the more better for you since you have kept the screenshots.

a few things, you are using IE which is kinda like asking for it - not blaming you most people does use IE, but its like sex without a condom you take certain risks =P

Get Firefox and then use that as your default browser first, this isi a preventative meaure although it does nothing for your hijacked IE (But i believe the firefox won't be hijacked sooo.

Lavasoft's AdAware is also free for personal use, its one of the best spyware sweeper I have ever came across.

Go to the hijack this forums and learn which log files you have to kill because by deleteing everything your internet might not work anymore, so DON'T DELETE EVERYTHING.

IMPORTANT: Make a backup point first in case you deleted something your should not have

Then reboot in safe mode, in XP I believe you hit F8 or F12, not sure which and go into C:\Program Files and delete anything that has Toolbar Web Search, or anything internet related that you have never installed before.

Go to the temporary internet files folder and delete everything, empty your recycle bin and reboot, your problem then should be solved.

Also get Microsoft AntiSpyware BETA use google to do a search for it. :D It warns you when something is trying to change your IE settings It will also reset IE. :( It's really helpful a great tool to use to fight spyware. :D

if your browser seems to be hijacked you should delete all the unneccassary junk in your browser using "hijack this". by the looks of it you already looked at this and there are alot of things loaded onto your browser. all you have to do is delete all the spywares and leave the neccsassary programs to process the surfing in your browser. when you have done that i should advise you that you should add more security protection to your computer. and most of all change your browser from the microsoft internet browser, there are lots of hacks through this browser. use firefox or netscape browsers, the mozilla broswers. i think theyre much better and faster than the rest.

Dream, I have AdAware, I have Firefox (check the screenies :() which is why I was able to post this thread while my IE was messed up. And I believe HijackThis tells you not to delete everything because it only brings up questionable items, not branded bad files. Thanks for the help :D I'll try booting in safemode and cleaning my comp up a little too.