xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nqon

CS: Source Vs CS 1.6

What do you think? Currently Counter Strike 1.6 is being played by almost 10 times as many as Counter Strike Source. I made the switch a couple of months ago and I now enjoy Source much more than 1.6. But the community generally disagree, if this is because they havnt tryed it and gotten used to it or if they just hate it. I think that source just needs a bit ajusting and such, and maybe have an include way of turning down the graphics so people with average pc's dont get fps drop.Its not quite there but I definitly think that Source will take over for cs 1.6 just as 1.6 did over 1.5, it might take a year but it will happen despite the troubled relationship some players have towards change. Counter strike needs source to remain attractive to sponsores and investors, aswell as the crowd, people need something good to look at to consider Counter Strike as a good profesional game.Now, whats your take on this?

I would rathur play 1.6 although source is pretty good. The reason for the 1.6 liking is im a CAL player, and CAL tornys are usually hosted on Train, Oilrig, Dust, Dust 2, Assault, and alot of those maps arn't on css yet.

That's a toughie right there. I made the transition to Source like many, but cs 1.6 still has it's merits. Such as you don't need an uber computer to run it. That can be a problem in source; the graphics can kill your frame rate. Also, I seem to get a much lower ping in mods of the original Half life than I do playing the source mods. That is a little aggrivating, but I can live with it. Also, I've played pretty much all of those maps in Source except for oilrig. I'm not quite sure if I've played the original assault in source yet, but I have played some of the altered versions.

Well, its not very long since train was remaid for counter strike source. Im not sure but I think theres an assoult remake for source aswell. Anyway, oilrig just uses the same as the original, so in maps there shouldnt be a big problem. But I understand that making the switch is stupid now that only a small portion of CAL is played in Source (im not up to date on this, but isnt there two invite groups now? One for source and one for 1.6?).Anyway, killer, dont you think that source will take over in a couple of months? There is that problem with the netcode being heavier and the fps drops. There should be some way to tweak it automaticly to run a stable 60-100 fps, depending on your machine. So I think that when they fix the netcode properly and fix some in game bugs the game should be ready for good competive gaming. But we'll see, we'll see :(

When I last played CS: Source, there were issues with rego. From a friend, I have heard that many of these issues have been resolved. If that is the case, I would definetely prefer CS: Source simply because of the atmosphere when playing the game. Firefights seem much more lively when compared to CS 1.6 as the sound support is far superior. The graphics and physics engine also greatly affect how the game feels and while the gameplay is slightly different, is still VERY enjoyable.Also, valve are slowly adding all the popular war maps to CS: Source. Already train has been converted and a few new ones added.

I think source is going to be a lot better within the next few months (at least I hope) They have been releasing a lot of big patches lately, and introducing more useless features. I love source, when I can play it. Steam is probally the best idea in a while, but was implamented in the worst way. Valve really needs to get their act together with all of these bugs in their applications. As I said in a earlier topic:

I feel like a beta tester, not a gamer.

Enough of my ranting. I still like 1.6 over source for now. Within the next couple of months, I will probally be playing source more than 1.6

The Source concept completely blows away 1.6. However, until there are more CS skins, more features, more realism, more everything, the similarities between the two are too.....similar...given how SLOW those people at Valve are taking to release a map I'd say Source will be good to go in around....say....3 years?

I stopped playing CS when 1.6 was released...couldn't stand certain aspects of the changes they've made. It really started going downhill for me about 1.2 so its no wonder I prefer source hands down (based off an early retail build) then 1.6. No riot shield is reason enough to prefer source haha.Anyways yea, I wish they'd release more skins/maps, but the skins for characters are kind of irrelevant although a nice touch, and its understandable why their maps take so long. The maps released by most third party ppl are waaay less polished.

The time it takes for them to complete a map doesn't seem that outrageous.From what I've seen, a new map seems to come out around every month.The maps, although sometimes based upon the official 1.6 maps, are totally different. New textures are created to fit the map design properly, new designs to prevent some of the common issues with the 1.6 versions (Making the map for source gives them a perfect opportunity to polish up on the flaws in the 1.6 versions). From what I have seen, there has been a lot more balance with the maps that are re-created by Valve and they do fit better into their geographic location.While the attention to detail may not be so crucial for the clan scenes, the opening for different and more versatile strategies sure is.I should also add that they then have to test the maps they create thoroughly and making sure that there are no clipping issues or glitches.

You bring up a good point about the testing. People either will ***** about not enough maps being released, or ***** about maps having glitches in them. Personally I'd prefer less maps but having maps that are polished to perfection when I get them

Well i vote in favor of the future so Counter Strike : Source all the way even though im still playing Counter Strike 1.6 at the moment aswell due to the fact that as Nqon said most of the community is still in 1.6 and alot of my mates are aswell. But i know of Counter Strike 1.5 Non Steam Servers still up and running. The differences between Source and 1.6 is vast which is another reason some made the move faster than others and i feel that even though in a year 1.6 will still be around the more populated game will be Source - its the law of averages.Killer there is tweaks out for Counter Strike Source at the moment to reduce the amount of rain in aztec for example or make the bodies pile upwhich i think is ragdollcollide_1See you guys on a server sumtime

i prefer cs 1.6 but source is a pretty awesome game version. you have to give major props for the graphics and such, but for whatever reason i have to think that 1.6 is better....pry cus thats the one i play all the time...im sure none of your care but i had to state my opinion

Well assumedly most will say their fav is the one they play the most. Its all just personal taste. Like I said I didn't like 1.6 much at all compared to source...but thats just me. As long as both are around, choose your poison and love every minute of it