xisto Community
iGuest

Annoying Me. Cannot Upload Avatars Grrr.

When I try to upload an avatar to my forums (for me) it wont let me.This is the error i get when it does."Warning: copy(./images/avatars/169878766642786a237ad13.gif): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/twitch/public_html/forums/includes/usercp_avatar.php on line 239Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/twitch/public_html/forums/includes/usercp_avatar.php:239) in /home/twitch/public_html/forums/includes/page_header.php on line 475Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/twitch/public_html/forums/includes/usercp_avatar.php:239) in /home/twitch/public_html/forums/includes/page_header.php on line 477Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/twitch/public_html/forums/includes/usercp_avatar.php:239) in /home/twitch/public_html/forums/includes/page_header.php on line 478"Why me? :cry:Oh, and how can I fix it.

I have honestly never seen or heard of that before.. I can only recommend the usual stuff - check whether is it the right size and stuff?

When I try to upload an avatar to my forums (for me) it wont let me.

This is the error i get when it does.

"Warning: copy(./images/avatars/169878766642786a237ad13.gif): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/twitch/public_html/forums/includes/usercp_avatar.php on line 239

Why me? :cry:

Oh, and how can I fix it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check your first line - see that Permission denied message ?? Most likely the read permissions for your avatar directory are not set properly.. use your FTP tool or the cPanel file manager to change the permissions for your avatar dir to +777 initially and test. If it works out, change it back to 755. That should do the trick.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.I forgot all about the permissions. :( I have just changed it and it works. m^e you deserve a medal or two.

Ok well I'm having an avatar problem as well, but I thought instead of posting a new topic I'd post here to keep the avatar issues together in the same topic. I have changed the permissions to 777 for the avatars folder where all the avatars should be stored, so that solved my problem of getting the same error that the original creator of this topic had. My problem now though is that the avatars won't show up on the forum even though they have actually been successfully uploaded. Under avatar settings I have "enable uploading" checked yes, and "enable remote avatars" checked yes as well. The file size I've specified is under 50kb and no larger than 100x100 pixels. The image I uploaded meets all these requirements, and is in the directory, but won't show up on the forum, nor in the "Profile" options. All users are able to "display avatars", as that option is checked yes as well. Anyways, I'd really appreciate it if someone might be able to help me figure out my problem. It might just be something I totally overlooked....but thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have to fix this. :P

Ok well I'm having an avatar problem as well, but I thought instead of posting a new topic I'd post here to keep the avatar issues together in the same topic.
I have changed the permissions to 777 for the avatars folder where all the avatars should be stored, so that solved my problem of getting the same error that the original creator of this topic had. My problem now though is that the avatars won't show up on the forum even though they have actually been successfully uploaded. Under avatar settings I have "enable uploading" checked yes, and "enable remote avatars" checked yes as well. The file size I've specified is under 50kb and no larger than 100x100 pixels. The image I uploaded meets all these requirements, and is in the directory, but won't show up on the forum, nor in the "Profile" options. All users are able to "display avatars", as that option is checked yes as well.

Anyways, I'd really appreciate it if someone might be able to help me figure out my problem. It might just be something I totally overlooked....but thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have to fix this. :P

what script are you using to upload the avatar?

i can help if you can be specific on what you are using, what version and i hope it was also hosted on asta since i can mirror ur problem here..

My most sincere apologies, but....I have absolutely no idea how to answer that question because I don't understand it. It's my very first time creating a site and having a forum, and I have no idea what you mean by script. Perhaps if I give you more information, it may magically be the answer you are looking for...The file I downloaded and am using for the forum says phpBB 2.0.21. I set the permissions for the avatar folder to 777, so now the pictures actually upload....and they're in the avatar folder, but they just don't show up on the forum at all. And to upload them, I just selected the "enable uploading of avatars" button and found the file on my computer and uploaded it. I'm sure that it's sounds like it's a bloody miracle that I got that forum up and running since I've no idea what the hell I'm talking about.

You are not using any script to do this. It's all in the phpBB forum software.Had to play around with it a little on my local computer before I figured out the problem. The issue is that you MUST create a folder to store these avatar images into. The default images/avatars/gallery/ is not enough. Create a folder inside the gallery folder and give it a descriptive name. You can create more folders to categorize the images. This creates the different drop down menu in the Avatar (Profile) settings. So create the new folder/folders and put your images into them accordingly.It worked perfectly over here :P

I can't get it to work at all for some reason. I created a two new folders and now this is the path - images/avatars/gallery/user_avatars/test. This means that the category that should show up under the gallery dropdown menu is "test", right? Well I can't get anything to show up at all there. I changed the permissions for the folder to 777 too to see if that was it, but it didn't change anything. And I've also got a question about not just the gallery avatars, but the personal avatars as well. I want to allow users to upload their own avatar and so I specified a path in images/avatars/users (a folder I created for personal avatars users upload), and I successfully uploaded a picture into that folder. The problem is though that under "profile options" for the user, the avatar doesn't even show up to be selected. When I (as the administrator) view my own profile by clicking "management" under "user admin" I can see the avatar plain as day. However, when I click the "profile" button, like I'm just going to edit my personal profile, the avatar doesn't show up. Does that make sense? I don't know what to do, and it's really confusing me especially since the pictures are in the files, but they're just not showing up at all to be selected.Am I totally missing something? It seems like I really must be if it works for you and not me. I did follow your directions, and I did change the path so it stores them in the right place.... :P Thank you by the way for helping me. Sorry my problem is turning out to be a big pain.

You can not create another sub directory folder under the other new folder you created (user_avatars). You MUST create just a top/parent folder in the gallery folder. Like user_avatars or anything else. So just put your images directly into that user_avatars and any other folder you created under gallery. Do not create any more new folders inside the other folder (like user_avatars) or it will NOT show up. Create as many folders you like inside the gallery folder though. Images will appear.I just left the avatar storage directories by default. It doesn't cause any problems. The thing missing was creating the new folders inside the gallery folder.If you can't see the pictures next to your posts in the forum, then you probably haven't enabled it yet. Go back into the Administrator panel->General Admin->Configuration and scroll down to the Avatar Settings area. Under Enable gallery avatars, make sure it's set to Yes. Save the changes and go into your Profile. Scroll down to the Avatar control panel and click on Show Gallery. Everything should work from there.

Oh my god it finally worked. : ) Thank you so much for putting up with me and helping me solve my ridiculous problem. I really, really appreciate your assistance. You rock in the most awesome of ways. :P

Oh my god it finally worked. : ) Thank you so much for putting up with me and helping me solve my ridiculous problem. I really, really appreciate your assistance. You rock in the most awesome of ways. :P

i think it was fixed, no need for my help..

i think it is funny that you have answered all of my questions without knowing it.. :P
and there are some issues on your selected forum board.. anyway, weaponx have figure out an alternative method to fixed your problem.

@vhortex: I totally agree with the issues for using the phpBB forum.

Leafbunk, if you can, you might want to look into using other forum alternatives that are more secure. phpBB has been known to have a lot of security bugs in it and from what I heard, sometimes it takes them a while to release an update to patch up the problem. Take a look at SimpleMachinesForum and try that out instead. They usually have a speedy security patch released if any are found. If you have problems using it, feel free to post in the SimpleMachines Forum section here at Xisto.

I'm really not familiar at all with the different forums available out there, so thank you for providing the link. :) I have heard that there are many security issues with the phpBB, but it seemed to be the easiest to install (since I've never done anything like this before). I'm wondering a couple things though....Am I really at risk for hackers or...security problems if the site for the forum is really only accessed by a small group of people? And also, if I end up changing to the SimpleMachinesForum....(this might be a stupid question), but any data that I had previously on my forums, will that be erased or can I transfer it? Thanks so much for all of your help. I appreciate it very much. :)

Your forum will probably not be hacked or attacked if it's a small one, but knowing what sick people are online, I usually don't recommend taking the chance. Better to be safe...Don't worry about switching over to Simple Machines Forum. They have a converter file that you can download to convert the database to be SimpleMachines ready :) So all data will be intact during the transfer.