xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jkk

Civilization/freeciv

I can't believe the 'Search' button returns no hits for good ol' Civilization. Especially as FreeCiv 2.0 Beta is now out. FreeCiv 2 has some interesting variations, notably that the you're likely to finish the research tree well before the end of the game. Well, if they will cut the price of the Colossus in half ... And if you start a spaceship, everyone declares war on you immediately, which can be entertaining. Oh, and diplomacy has some meaning now; it's no longer "hello, let's trade, war in 10 turns or less". Anyway, has anyone tried the One City Challenge? As it might suggest, you have to win the game with just one city. If your explorers get a free city from a tribal hut, you're allowed to reload the previous turn's auto-save game. But otherwise, you may NEVER own more than one city. You have to win through the space race, of course.Give it a try. It makes Wonders of the World like the Colossus and Shakey's Theatre much more important, suddenly.

I would try... anyway - you said FreeCiv 2.0 Beta is out... I would say more... FreeCiv 2.0 Final and even hot release 2.0.1 is out... :(

I can't believe the 'Search' button returns no hits for good ol' Civilization. Especially as FreeCiv 2.0 Beta is now out. FreeCiv 2 has some interesting variations, notably that the you're likely to finish the research tree well before the end of the game. Well, if they will cut the price of the Colossus in half ... And if you start a spaceship, everyone declares war on you immediately, which can be entertaining. Oh, and diplomacy has some meaning now; it's no longer "hello, let's trade, war in 10 turns or less".

Anyway, has anyone tried the One City Challenge? As it might suggest, you have to win the game with just one city. If your explorers get a free city from a tribal hut, you're allowed to reload the previous turn's auto-save game. But otherwise, you may NEVER own more than one city. You have to win through the space race, of course.

Give it a try. It makes Wonders of the World like the Colossus and Shakey's Theatre much more important, suddenly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds interesting, can we provide a website for more infor? I might be interested in playing this.

I'm a big fan of the Civilization games. I have Civilization III (with the 2 expansion packs) and really enjoy it. The only disappointing thing is that it is hard to play against other people, because of how long it takes to complete a game. I heard something about them making a Civ IV, has anyone heard anything about it?I haven't heard of FreeCiv before. It looks interesting though. I'll have to give it a try sometime. Maybe I'll get time soon since I just finished my finals this morning (it feels very nice to be able to say that :( ).