xisto Community
AnarchyCow

I'm Thinking Of Switching From Windows To Linux... I have a few Questions...

Ok hey im thinking of switching from my Window to a Linux OS...But first i do have a few questions...1. How much do it cost if it costs anything?2. What about all my Microsoft Apps and Games...3. Would I be able switch my PC over without having to restore completely I'l willing to and want to baddly...4. How fast does Linux run?Thanks, First to answer these question rep will go up...lolBrandon

1. Linux is free2. You can just get a Linux boot disk so you can use Linux when you want to and Windows when you wanna play games.3. See above4. Linux is quite fast cause its not a GUI although you can use a GUI (KDE is supposely the best but Gnome is pretty attractive too)umm i'm not a linux user, but i know people who are sooo yea these are the best info i can give you. I believe m^e is an Linux user so yea he should reply here soon :(

Hi AnarchyCow,the best way to solve all the issues you asked about would be to set up your computer to "Dual Boot" both operating systems. It's really easy to set up. Go to Google to get more info.MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP OR IMAGE YOUR COMPUTER BEFORE YOU DO IT.Hope this helpsRGPHNX

Thanks Dream,well...Now i know there is Linux for free...When can I download it and what are the latest versions and makes for Download...well...I was thinking though..Is it posible to just not run windows at all and just install the games onto my linux...lolI'm already calling it my linux...The reason i ask is b/c i dispise windows!

Great, your willing to format windows, this makes it much easyer to setup dual boot.
(windows is crap at re-sizeing its own partitons)

when you are installing windows, w#there will be a section asking where to install windows.

it looks like this.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

use this menu to delete the partiton on the disk, then create a new parttion that does not use the whole disk.

decide how much space you want for windows, and how much you want for linux.

for example, i have an 80 gig disk, 20gigs to windows, 60 gigs to linux, so i create a new parttion only 20 gigs in size,

then format the newly created partiton, and install windows to it.

then, when windows is installed, install linux.
when it asks you where you want to install linux, select the un-partitoned space.

Most linux distro's can set uo dual boot manually, if whatever distro you chose doesnt, it can easily be setup manually.

What Linmux Distro are you going to use ?

I wouldent really use linux or windows I use somthing called Linspire (Or Old name Lindows) which is pretty much a linux baced windows. It has all the capabilities of bouth windows and linux (MEaning it is good for a gamer and a server admin like me) And it helps with video editing and other cool stuff.

I wouldent really use linux or windows I use somthing called Linspire (Or Old name Lindows) which is pretty much a linux baced windows. It has all the capabilities of bouth windows and linux (MEaning it is good for a gamer and a server admin like me) And it helps with video editing and other cool stuff.

Linspire is linux. it uses a wndows emulator to emulate windows.
Linspire is linu, dressed up to look and feel like windows.

i just dont like it, it goes againsed alot of Linux's ideals and goals.

That tutlorial link seems a little out of date.
it stresses that you must not install grub to the MBR, personally i would recomend installing grub to MBR.

are you using NTFS or FAT32 for your windows disk ???
if you are using fat32, you can resize the partiton with many tools.

if you are using ntfs, then it will be a little harder.

i would recomnd booting a rescue disk, partitononing the disk, then re-installing windows.

you need 3 partitons, a windows partiton, (approx 49% disk size maybe ?) a linux root partiton, (mmaybe approxamatly 49% disk size) and a swap partiton to be used as virtual memory, between 512megs, and 1gb)

this time, when you install widnowsXP you should definatly see that screen.

maybe you missed it ???
but it definatly comes up.