xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
m3ch4

Mech Games Fast and Deadly Vs. Slow and Deadly

There are a whole host of giant robot fighting games, mechwarrior, zone of the enders, etc etc. My question to you is, waht makes a good mech game? What features/options do you like to see?

alright, so recently I've been doing some research on a new mech game coming out for the PS2 called S.L.A.I. (steel lancer arena international) hunting after a demo that came out with with an issue of OPM that came out Febuary. And there haven't been that many good reviews from people on it. and I can't understand it.

Slai is the second release of a game called Phantom Crash that debuted on the xbox last year, this game has been almost completely underground from the fact that it didn't sell barely and is not even sold/produced in Canada at all anymore. But it was one of my favourite games for the xbox and I still play it all the time.

Phantom Crash/Slai are mech games that offer a ton of custimization and variety, and is a little different form most games in the fact that it is mostly geared towards speed and non "stomp stomp" kind of motion/maneuverability that you get in Mechwarrior games.

Im not the biggest fan of mech games but I think there are a few things that are important in making a good mech game.First I think it should be simple. Some mech games are very difficult to play because they are just so complicated. All the different weapons, weapon shells, weapon tips, its tough to know what to load for the circumstances. Also, it shouldn't be too fast paced. It should give you time to think about whats going on and to move your mech properly. Often mech games seem too much like first person shooters, I dont think that makes for a good mech game.Lastly, the armour possibilitys are important. I like to be able to choose each piece of armour, colour, composition, things like that.

opinion

Mech Games

I think a mecha game should have the exact oposite from what Aequitas thinks

As a first it should be realy fast pased and highly costomizable but also come with a basic mode for players that don't like to many options.

It should have a lot of deep costomize options like fully in to def/hp, atk/def or atk/hp or my personal fav atk/speed.

Ive been playing a game called exteel for a while that verry loosly fits what I'm looking for it's fast pased but has verry little costomization and the weaponsbalance between melee and ranged is verry unbalanced ,I like to play with swords and stuff sneak up to the oponent dodge attacks and when there screwd kick there *bottom* which in exteel will get you 1 kill and have about 1% of your health left : /

So in short what should a mecha game have?

Huge seroundings difering from Urban city's to space combat or just a open field

A lot of costomization so you can creat the mech that fits your style

A good ranged to mellee balance

And ofcourse component damage as in a earth based map if you shoot or slash of a mechs leg it gets slower or has to use boosters to move

-reply by nick

Serriously Feedbacker was right a mech game needs a large number of customisable features (guns, armour, equipment etc.) thats what will keep you comming back 4 more.For example mech assault was once of the simplest mech games ive every played, it was alright until I finished the campagin, then that was it even with multiplayer because I had to play the same exact mech with the exact sam laodouts all the time.On the other had theres mech warrior 4 which I still play 2day, IT ROCKS because I can customise almost everything.Moral of the story while you don't want a unfathomably complex game a lot of depth and customisability goes a long way.Oh, and there should be a lot of enviroments to play in phantom crash only had about 4 arenas from memory, thats just not enough however detailed they are.-reply by I luv mechwarrior

Replying to m3ch4Honestly I think mech games should be like mechwarrior if your gonna make a mech game leave it to the battle tech eginners and stuff. It has none of the mechs people today are use to like the timberwolf or daishi.

In my opinion, the best game was mechwarrior 4 mercenairies. I think this because of the extreamly custumisable mechs and the great path branching. I have played the campaign 5 times. Once on easy and the rest on hard. I know quick and fast is good for some people, and if you want quick and fast, then load up a flea or a wolfhound and run into the battlefield against a bunch of assault mechs. See what happens -.-I wich there was going to be a mechwarrior 5, excuse my laugage but those fagits who decided to cancel the project lost out millions of dollers.-reply by Matt

Replying to Aequitas619I think aequitas has a point. Mech games should prolly branch out and start adopting different feels and types. We can still keep the complicated micro-managing that a lot of us love in mech games, but for other people who would rather press the "Start Game" button and shoot things, just make it simple. Branching out instead of staying discreet and focused is nice, but it won't get you too many customers or fans.ARMORED CORE AND MECHWARRIOR FTW!!

NEED MO

Mech Games

I agree...Mechwarrior is one of the best games but really...Mechwarrior 4 was the reason that Mechwarrior died. (if you can ignore the horrid graphics play the older mechwarrior games...They are so much better!)

Biggest problem right now in mech games is lack of depth. Too many of the new mech games lack this...And games like exteel (which could have been friggen awesome) feels too much like a fps then mech combat.

If you want something that's inbetween mechwarrior and gundam extremes look into activision's heavy gear. Game that begs for some modding but I think it's a good representation of what a mech game should be like. It has customization depth (though armor could use a little more), plenty of weapons without too much complication to them but enough to keep you interested =D, and a good plot! (very important).

As much as I'd like to see Mechwarrior 5 (done correctly), I'd also like to see just as much heavy gear 3...Maybe we should start a petition?

-reply by Kiki

Replying to iGuestKiki is right there HeavyGear 1 not 2 was the best in multiplayer gameplay. There were limitations to building, but with what could be done in the gear builder there were awesome possibilities. As for modding HeavyGear the code is too old to deal with. Game programming has come an awful long way since 1997. I wish Heavy Gear would come up as abandonware then I could share it. If you want to learn more about this great game visit us at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ . We are the last few that still play. -reply by MournBlade

You know when it comes to mech games, i have to say i have played next to all. From mech warrior to armored core 4 for the 360. But what i have to say is there are many good points to throw around and many bad points. But if you want a professional side, a mech game should have a variety of effects in it. A mech game should not have any contact with any other game out there. It should be its own platform. So yes it should have the slow yet power damaging as the mech series, but with a bit of a fast paced menace with it. To which if any of you have never played Steel Battalion, which is an expensive game. I recomend playing it so that you can understand what i see in a mech game. It gives you all the control over a mech that one should have. Its also got directional thrusts so you can make those quick dodges you need to get into a close combat melee attack with a cutter boom or plasma torch. And if your good at it. Bust out with a sniper rifle and get you shots on. Now what i loved about the sniping on it is that you had to lead your shots, and you had to be careful with your shots to not get cought. If you want to read more into it just go here http://www.steelbattalion.org/warfare.php, if you want to challenge me in it, just message me and i will accept a challenge in it.

Edited by drakanis82 (see edit history)

My opinionMech Games

What I say is make the game:

Highly customizable, the more the better (don't make it so only 1 out of the 20 guns to choose from works on certain enemies, I mean you can choose from the 20 to which either works best or is your personal favorite)

Also the faster the better, I love games where your dodging all over the place guns blazing doing split second reactions to near fatal hits, that's what helps make an amazing game in my opinion.

Then obviously story is important also, making a game with amazing gameplay is great but you cant get into it as well unless its got meaning.

Last not as important as the others but whats a serious plus is destructive environment and  gotta have a soundtrack to match the epic battles.

-reply by charlie

Chromehounds.Mech Games

Chromehounds was my definition of the perfect mech game. Everyone had a role. So all of the machines don't look like humans. They felt real. And the squad-based gameplay, and destructible cities? Not much more fun than having a Heavy Gunner blow away a city block and then watch the Soldier tear up whatever was behind, all based on the directions from the radar-equipped Commander.

-reply by Zach