xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chiiyo

Share Your OS News Sites Some sharing instead of fighting...

Although I understand the reasoning behind the separation of the OS subsections into more subsections, it's a bit sad that everything's split up, and there's no apparent sharing or understanding between the people using different OSes. Although I do admit I don't like Windows, I embrace all other OSes. As such, I propose we put up links to our favourite OS-related websites. This way maybe I can get to know of some Linux-flavoured development News sites or something to do with Windows even. I think this might lead to more understanding and more information...

To start off, here are some of mine. Since Mac OS X and Apple Hardware are kinda interlinked, some of the sites below deal with both...

About This Particular Macintosh - A webzine of sorts that covers a lot of things and is as good, even better sometimes, than those Mac magazines you get off the shelves. Love the humour.

Apple Legal - Don't know about the name, but this is a software review site for Mac applications. The review quality is pretty good, short, but pretty informative.

MacFixIt - Troubleshooting Solutions site. The recent post on preparing your computer for an installation of Tiger is very helpful.

MacNewsWorld - A collection of Apple in the news everywhere, online and offline, quite interesting to read now and then and really good if you're going to write a paper on Apple and need news sources.

MacOSXHints - A collection of short but sweet hints for the OS, some of which are well-known and aimed towards the beginners, but they have often rather interesting and less well-known hints too.

MacRumors - Rumors site. I got there mostly for the forums though, they have a huge userbase and they are very very helpful when something is happening to your mac and you don't know what to do... Heh.

How about you?

I'm not sure if my reply suits your category but these are some sites that I frequent for news regarding the computing world other than OSes. Being only a Microsoft Windows user, I only frequent sites that contain more about Windows XP. I don't visit much sites since I'm still a student with many things to do, but unable to complete.

Neowin.net - Where unprofessional journalism looks better: Probably one of the largest online community I know of, it has everything I need and the only problem lies with their server loading time of their forums. Most of the news here can also be seen from other news sites like WinInsider but I prefer Neowin than them since it's more convenient for me.

The Channel Insider - Technology Channel News for IT Distributors, Resellers, VARs: Reliable insider information on emerging technology.

ExtremeTech - Deep technology for enthusiasts and professionals - Build It, Tweak It, Know It. I got my PC specs from here with help from some kind guy working with Microsoft Singapore.

CNET.com: One stop resource to everything that is related to the term "digital technology". (Well, perhaps not everything)

LonghornFan.com - Microsoft Longhorn Windows Tips, Tweaks, Guides, Info, Downloads, Reviews & Blogs: Updates on the latest Microsoft OS's progress and other info.

OS News: A site that has news about major releases for any OS.

Linux Games: Keeps you up to date with games for linux. I like this site since it can be difficult to find a good game in linux.

Distro Watch: News about official releases of different linux distributions.

Linux Kernel Archive: Official website of the linux kernel.

Gentoo Linux: My prefered linux distro.

Slashdot: General tech news but you can always view they're operating systems section for OS specific news. Or you can check out they're topic categories and see if they have a topic for your favorite OS.

The Register: Another general news site but they do have a Operating Systems Section if you feel like limiting yourself.

I hope some of these are useful to someone.

Yes! This is what I mean... *adds them to RSS aggregator*I hope by spreading news sites around people will at least be aware of things. And be more informed as to making the choice between the OSes, or just plain working with each OS.Any more?

Hi, I very much like the Graphical User Interface Gallery, you can find lots of crazy screenshots and information about new and old Operating Systems, including rarities like VisiOn or chinese Windows 3.2.

Ok, Distrowatch has been mentioned before, but don't forget to take a look on Distrowatch's Related Links Site, especially on "Distributions on the waiting list"!

GreetingZ