xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ninjamunky

Windows Not Recognizing Ipod

OK, I'm running Windows XP and my iPod is not detected when I plug it in. The only things that I could guess are wrong are that I recently had a trojan, known as BackDoor-AWI and that my router flaked out and I have no internet on the computer in question now. I'm not sure what happened, but for some reason, McAfee is telling me that it's all screwed up on startup. So it's not even running anymore. My computer does recognize USB keys, but will not see my iPod for some reason. Any ideas?

You should really fix these issues first.But on solving the iPod issue, remove the iTunes software and iPod drivers, make sure the iPod isn't connected. Restart the computer and reinstall the software again.Might be a good idea to restart the computer, even though XP doesn't really require the need to restart, it's probably a good idea, just to make sure everything registers correctly.When you log in, load up iTunes (wait till it's fully opened and not in a busy state), then connect your iPod, Windows XP should detect the new device being connected, are you running it through a hub? Try running it directly from the USB 2.0 controllers directly off the computer to ensure that it's not a power deficiency problem. Also if possible, remove some USB devices that aren't needed.If XP detects the iPod it should state it found an iPod and is installing the new hardware, once it says it's ready, iTunes should automatically detect it too. If not there might be a method of getting iTunes to search for it, unfortunately I'm not sure about those steps as I haven't got iTunes on here to test, although I did have problems with it detecting the iPod and eventually got around it, also had to make it work for 2 different iPods which was a similar roller coaster.If it's still not working, then I suggest fixing the other issues you have with your computer.Cheers,MC

I also know there is a IPOD service that runs in the backgound. Maybe you turned it off accidently?
There are two ways to access the services:
1. click start>run
type msconfig
click services tab
then make sure that service is running

2. click control panel>admin tools>services
then make sure the iPod service is running

I don't have an Ipod so I don't know if that actually has anything to do with it but I'm just tossing that out there.
This is the description of it:

iPod hardware management services

I got it fixed. I uninstalled the iPod firmware updater program and iTunes, plugged in my iPod and it was recognized. So then I got a fresh download of the firmware app. and iTunes and now I'm good. Although, on startup, McAfee tells me that it's all messed up and I need to reinstall it, so it doens't really do anything. And I think my other virus scanner isn't working either. The only thing I can think of is that somehow that trojan did something. Although, my friend at school told me that as long as I have a router my PC should be alright. I figure I'll just do a reinstall of McAfee and !avast and see where I am then. Thanks for the help.

Hi guys...my ipod shuffle is not being detected on any computer..I tried all the possible ways to get it detected, but all in vain...can anyone help me out?-jay joshi

Some thing's wrong with my ipod or my computer. Windows 2000 only recognizes ipod as usb device. Each time I download my playlist it transfers to my hard drive instead of my device. I have an Ipod Nano, I tried Floola, Yamipod, windows media player and it's all the same.-shonta

Hia-- I have an iPod nano with a tonne of music on that I don't want to lose.The music is in the library on iTunes (PC) not playlist.Both iTunes and My computer suddenly won't recognise the ipod- what do I do without losing the music and starting over?I've tried to backup library to DVD but my writers just spit the discs back at me.Any help would be appreciated, it's driving us nutsThanks.-voodoo

Strange USB/iPOD Event - iPod not detected in VISTA

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium and when I plug in an iPod nano or a USB thumb drive in any port they are not recognized. My USB printer still works though and if I leave everything plugged in and reboot Vista finds the thumb drive no problem but iPod still is not detected in either the device manager or in iTunes. Anyone else seen this?

-Jeff

Ipod not being recognised at all!!

When I got my ipod I didnt have a disc or any software to install with it. I already had itunes so I just plugged it in and everything was working fine.

Recently though nothing happens when I plug my ipod nano in. The only thing it does is charge. It doesn't come up in my computer and doesn't show up in devices. I've tried everything to get it to work and it wont. Any help guys!

-Rebecca

Ipod screen frozen

My Ipod Nano has a frozen screen. I was playing music, and tried to connect to a snall set of speakers (which also do not work), when I disconnected from the speakers I noticed the Ipod screen was frozen. Went to the support site and tried what they advised: click on/off switch, click Menu...Nada. Support also said to Reset/Restart, however now my PC won't recognize the Ipod. I cannot restart if PC won't recognize, I cannot get it out of frozen screen. I am at an impasse as I can't get it to wake up, can't get the PC to notice it...So now what? And yes, my software is installed.

I should say that other than this the Ipod was working fine. No problems until now.

-Jill

Replying to FeedbackerI can't help you, I'm sorry. I have the same problem--I'm running windows vista on my dell, and the USB ports have no problem recognizing all other devices (flash drives, my printer), and it even allows my ipod to charge when plugged in. On top of that, my computer used to recognize the ipod, and I could see, import to, and arrange my ipod in itunes when it was opened. But, now when I plug in my ipod, nothing happens but charging. Any suggestions out there? Thanks-david

HELP HELP HELP

My ipod was working great and has been since I bought it. But when I got to the gym I unplugged it from my car adapter and tried pluggin in my head phones.. NOW NOTHING... It wont even turn on the screen and when I try to plug it into the computer it does not recognize, charge or even acknowledge my ipod exists so I cant reset the software like I have done in the past. The frustrating part is that my Fiance's ipod registers immediately... Any ideas or am I just S.O.L

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

-Haydn

NOT REGISTERING AT ALL

IPod Nano 1st generation:

When I plug my ipod in to the usb port nothing happens at all.

Ive tried all the usb ports so its nothing wrong with the usb port.

My ipod was recently installed with a new battery to try and fix the ipid because my ipod would run for only 5 minutes after charging and then it would jsut stop and the screen would fade off.

But this has not fixed the problem at all and now my computer isnt even recognizing my ipod at all.

Can anyone help??

-question by Charlotte

Reset it ......

Replying to FeedbackerReplying to Feedbacker

Hey, why don't you just reset your ipod ??

The steps are

1. Slide the hold button to on and then off

2. Then hold the menu and centre buttons simultaneously for about 6-7 seconds until the apple logo appears...

-reply by Ayush