xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
l337 Nurse Pedestrian

Starting Your Own Web Hosting how?

I find it cool how people offer web hosting. So I was wondering how can I do this? I have my own site, and I want to offer web hosting. Problem is, I don't know how. Now, I don't expect you to sit here and type up everything. But maybe you could give me some help on how it works, or even links. I'm a noob to this kind of thing, the only thing I know you need is a server. Those box things.Also can anyone tell me how much it costs to give hosting service.

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

I find it cool how people offer web hosting. So I was wondering how can I do this? I have my own site, and I want to offer web hosting. Problem is, I don't know how. Now, I don't expect you to sit here and type up everything. But maybe you could give me some help on how it works, or even links. I'm a noob to this kind of thing, the only thing I know you need is a server. Those box things.

Also can anyone tell me how much it costs to give hosting service.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Firstly, I think you need to be constantly connected to the internet.

Secondly, you need a server system (Like Windows 2003 Server, or Linux)

Thirdly, you need to download and install various programs, such as Apache http server and so on.

finally, You need to re-develop your site to include sign-up processes, control panels and offer services that others can't to keep up competition.

Or you can bypass all that hassle of setting up your own servers, getting a dedicated line, maintaining everything - and instead take up a reseller account from any of the hosting providers. There are many out there on the net who provide you with very cheap reseller accounts, which you can then distribute to as many clients as you want. The provider will supply you with all necessary tools like cPanel, Fantastico etc. No headaches over maintaining servers - they do it all. Only thing you need to look after is your own customers.... :P

If you would like to support databases and php you would need MySQL and PHP. This way, users that have portals or forums [iPB, phpBB], they would be able to do this. The most common setup is called L.A.M.P. [Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP] or W.A.M.P. which is windows. I am not sure how cPanel works, but that feature should be a must. Wish I could help you out more. :(