xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Umbra

Creating You Own Game In RPG Maker 2000/2003 Part 2 - Map Designing

Map Designing is a very important part in your RPG game. The maps are made up with many different graphics, which we call Chipsets. You can import your own Chipsets in the Database. Check out the other tutorial to find out how to.

Once you are at the map design, you will have all ocean. If you look to the left, you'll see graphics you can choose from. You need to put thoses graphics from the left to make a game on the right.

First, we need to set the graphics, or Chipsets. Right-click on the MAP0001 folder under the graphics box to the left and choose Map Properties. You will get a window that looks like this.

Posted Image

Most of the stuff here is common sense; you can change the name of the map and the size and stuff. We want to get our custom Chipset on here. Since we already imported it from the Database, we should be able to select it from the "Tileset" box. Do so and exit out. (NOTE: For this tutorial, I am going to use the default map graphic "Town".)

Now, you need to place land. I am going to make an outside town, so I need grass. Find the grass graphics and fill the water with it. To fill, select the "Flood Fill Map Elements" button above the graphics. After you fill it, select the "Place Map Elements Freehand" button again.

Now, we should add some houses; so, find a house graphic. Put together the house using the pieces of graphics, then look at it. Is it good? If so, then you're ready.

NOTE: The three buttons at the top (Posted Image) are used to set the land. The first one is the flat land (Grass, snow, some pieces of stuff) the second one is objects, and the third one is events.

Now, choose the "Select Map Elements" button, just left of the "Fill" button. Select the house (Exact deminsions) and press CTRL+C to copy it. Then, press CTRL+V to paste the house in a couple different locations. Once your done, click back on the "Freehand" button.

Now, we need to lable the houses. You should have signs that say "Inn" and "Pub" on them; use them to lable some of the houses. Your map should look something like this. (This was zoomed out 1/2)

Posted Image

Now, we need to make the own look move alive. Let's add water. Add a rive running through your town. Be sure to add bridges (or grass) so you can walk across town. Also, add some things so your town doesn't look plain. Experiment with the many things, find some more Chipsets, and add them in; the better your maps are, the better your game is. Also, please add dirt trails through the houses. It makes the town look like people have actually been through it.

Posted Image

That is all for this Part. In the next part, I will show you how events work. Events are the hardest part of creating a game, but the most important, too. You will also be able to add NPC's (Non-playable Characters) to your game. Hope this tutorial helped you.

[edit] Would you be offended if I made a few about the switches and variables, or the character creation? I don't know if you're claiming rpgmaker as your tutorial territory or not, since this one seems to mainly be about the map setup.

That is one of the sweetest things ive seen.. looks kinda like Runscape. makes me whanna make my own runscape game:-) thanks!

to answer the question about the placement .

Creating You Own Game In RPG Maker 2000/2003

I have been looking at some of thee tuts. To get an answer or two and I have seen the same question or I'll answer it for you. When you are in the map adding things here and there go to the event tab and right click your small little window will have new event, then your copy cut and paste, followed by place teleportation that changes so I believe that you most commonly use event will show up here but below that you will see place party starting point then place vehicle starting point.

-reply by Siberse