xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
thugnature

I Need Help On Laptop Hardware To Sell

ive had this laptop for like 3 years its a custom built one that i bought it has Pentium 4 2.0 ghz, 256 mb memory, 40 gb hard drive, ati mobilty radeon graphic card and some other stuff. It hasnt been working for a long *bottom* time cuz sumthing in there got fried and smoke just came out of the back and ive talked to some repair guys and they said it was the motherboard. So now im trying to sell some of the parts like dvd/cdrw drive, keyboard, battery n stuff but i dunno if some of them work like the graphic card and pentium 4 chip which are both on the motherboard and also I wanna try out the hard drive to delete everything on it. If anyone knows how i can try some of the stuff to see if it works or sumthing tell me.also anyone got any comments or suggestions tell me thanks...

Thugnature,Sorry to hear the bad news. Your options for testing the individual components on a laptop are pretty limited due the lack of modularity (ie. swapable/removable parts). You can test the HD by swapping it into another laptop of the same type/manufacturer & booting it up. Same with the CD/DVD player also. The PIV CPU chip is probably not removable from the MOB (ie. most laptops you can't remove them from the motherboard.). Unfortunately the keyboard is probably not removable either. The monitor/LCD screen is probably removable & swapable but you'll have to pop open the case & see if it has a unplugable "ribbon" type cable that attaches it to the motherboard. The battery is probably toast also if the motherboard is bad. Aside from the HD & CD/DVD drive, If you sell the rest of the unit for parts, you'll probably only get ~$50--$100 for the whole thing.Possibly the best way to go is to buy a new motherboard & install it yourself. But get quailified tech to THOROUGHLY check it out first- just in case there are other parts fried also.Hope this helps,RGPHNX

yah im gonna go to a repair shop or call up a tech guy to check it but I got all the parts off like the keyboard wit a screwdriver and I checked the motherboard for the p4 cpu chip and it has that metal thing that you pull up so it will release it..cant I remove it from that?

yes, its probably a regular P4 instead of a Pentium-M so you can remove the CPU and plug it in even a desktop 478 socket to test it out. But don't count my word for it, as far as I know they are regular desktop cpu's in those desktop replacement laptops. I have one too which I regularly take out and clean up to lower the heat buildup.As for the HDD, you can get adapters from ebay to plug it into a standard dektop too, I got one last year and plugged my old drive to my dektop. Seemd to work fine (except the drive is busted now)Or you can plug it into any other laptop, all laptops use the same standard 2.5inch drives, except mounting is usually different. This same thing goes for the dvd/cdrw drive and the RAM modules, except you should check what type of RAM they are (should be DDR 266Mhz) and match those characteristics.The battery and keyboard, you'll need the same model laptop to test.As for the graphics card, that is soldered on the mobo, so you are out of luck with that one.You may even be able to sell your LCD monitor on ebay, who knows, those crack and die a lot and there would be people willing to get their hands on a few.Otherwise you may be able to send it to the manufacturer for repairs too :angry: