xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
banjosforpeace

Posters And Handbills Recent things Ive done

i really like the first one you have made. It seems to be slightly grunge-y while i get a sort of Western (like the films) style about it from the 'Pickers Eve' text font.The first one seems a little crammed to me, although you are trying to get all the information people need to see the band plus i am sure that it would look better on paper being as it would be larger :P. you have got a good colour scheme for all of them; kept it simple in that respect which i like.the second and third one i quite like the vectored-ish person with the violin, the colour is again well used and would probably suit whatever you want to put on there. you could probably add some faint background image, again something raster or vectored quite bold thick lines with some grunge effects done to it.the third has to be my favourite because of the image :P i like it lol

Thanks for the kind words, overture! You're right, they do look better when they are large and printed on paper. The first two we're done on 8.5" x 14" in full color. Yep, even printed, the first (western-style) one did seem a bit crowded, but passable. The second turned out much better. The third one was printed in quarter sheets on 8.5" x 11" in black and white on Golden Rod yellow.

Here's one more that I did yesterday. I don't know if I'm going to use it yet. I'm trying a few other designs.

Posted Image

Oh and if this was printed, it would have a .25" white border. So would the black and gold one above.

Anyone else work with Paint Shop Pro? Yeah, I know I'm primitive. I consider myself only a hobbyist, not an artist. It works for me. :P

Thanks for the kind words, overture! You're right, they do look better when they are large and printed on paper. The first two we're done on 8.5" x 14" in full color. Yep, even printed, the first (western-style) one did seem a bit crowded, but passable. The second turned out much better. The third one was printed in quarter sheets on 8.5" x 11" in black and white on Golden Rod yellow.

Here's one more that I did yesterday. I don't know if I'm going to use it yet. I'm trying a few other designs.

Posted Image

Oh and if this was printed, it would have a .25" white border. So would the black and gold one above.

Anyone else work with Paint Shop Pro? Yeah, I know I'm primitive. I consider myself only a hobbyist, not an artist. It works for me. :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love your art! "Primitive"? Gosh, I wish I could do things the way you do them! :P I used to use PSP when I was using a PC, but PSP doesn't work on Macs. I love my Mac but sometimes it's difficult to find a cheap product that will work on it! I use adobe when I do any art, which is a rare thing because I am terrible with the mouse. I wish I had a graphics tablet!

I love the posters you did, especially the last one on the first posting. The new one on the second posting is very good also- I love it!!

I love your art!  "Primitive"?  Gosh, I wish I could do things the way you do them! :P  I used to use PSP when I was using a PC, but PSP doesn't work on Macs.  I love my Mac but sometimes it's difficult to find a cheap product that will work on it!  I use adobe when I do any art, which is a rare thing because I am terrible with the mouse.  I wish I had a graphics tablet!

I love the posters you did, especially the last one on the first posting.  The new one on the second posting is very good also- I love it!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Goodness! Thanks very much! I'm blushing. :P

I guess I consider what I do primitive because I use PSP, which not a lot of people seem to use these days, and because I can't really draw anything. I mostly manipulate a photo by trial and error and then layout fonts over top. The one with the helicopters is based on a picture I took with my junky digital camera out of my front window when the Marines were in town doing an urban warfare exercise. The wires and street light just happened to be in the shot so I worked them into the poster. A little tweaking and some copy & paste later, I had a whole background ready for a text box.

Someday I'll make my own fonts, but for now I'm in love with the lettering used on classic concert posters. Those old-looking western or dirty looking fonts are soooo pleasing to me. :P

I still don't know if I'm going to use this one. I may try a few more for that Juy 8 show.

I was asked to do a poster for a regular open mic night. It had to be non-artist specific, but still advertise what's happening. It is supposed to be sort of occicial looking rather than wildly creative. I'm not thrilled with it, but it will get the job done.

Any comments? Thanks. :D

Posted Image

The typorgraphy is actually really good in your poster. It stands out and is really well placed! In posters and handbills I think the layout of the text and the text itself is the main aspect.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! I'm going to be doing a lot more in the coming months and everyone's input is really encouraging. I won't be posting all of them here, just ones for comments. :D

These are pretty effective I think. Nice, consistant color choice. Good thematic fonts. I love how it sort of resembles an old west wanted poster. I actually don't even see anything I think could be tweaked and that's extremely rare for me.Anyway, great work on these.

These are pretty effective I think. Nice, consistant color choice. Good thematic fonts. I love how it sort of resembles an old west wanted poster. I actually don't even see anything I think could be tweaked and that's extremely rare for me.

Anyway, great work on these.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Geez, thanks! I've looked through your artwork before. Coming from you, that's a huge compliment! :(

I was asked to do a poster for a regular open mic night. It had to be non-artist specific, but still advertise what's happening. It is supposed to be sort of occicial looking rather than wildly creative. I'm not thrilled with it, but it will get the job done.

Any comments? Thanks. :(

Posted Image

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This poster is now hanging at the Rosewood Theatre. It looks WAY better on paper than on screen. I'm really pleased. :(