xisto Community
Rudy1405241475

Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2 Visually create asp.net Web page

Microsoft has released âVisual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2â. Claimed to provide everything you need to begin building Web applications with ASP.NET 2.0. It provides:

¡ Visual designers that make creating Web applications easy via an easy-to-use drag-and-drop interface ¡ Powerful code editor with rich functionality such as IntelliSense that makes writing code and HTML faster ¡ Quickly create data-driven Web applications using the built-in data controls and integrated access to Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express ¡ Support for multiple languages: Visual Basic, C#, and J# Get started using the built-in, fully functional starter kits like the Personal Web Starter Kit

Have any of you tried the first beta version? Let us know if you like it and compare it to PHP. Here is the link to the download:

visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/site/search?f%5B0%5D.Type=Affiliation&f%5B0%5D.Value=DevLabs&f%5B0%5D.Text=Microsoft%20DevLabs

I don't like Visual Web Developer at all! I mean seriously, a lot of web development can be accomplished at the W3Schools website, including ASP.

I, however, took a look at the Microsoft Connect section and found a very useful tool that is extremely powerful and helpful in web development. Microsoft Expression (in all editions) is very helpful for creating valid pages visually. It follows the XHTML standard unlike the other tools FrontPage 2003 and Microsoft FrontPage Express.

Also, I think that PHP is more superior than ASP because the language has more functions and that ASP is a tad confusing when you begin learning it.

I prefer PHP also because that I am used to it, and learning ASP seems to be, um, weird and strange because it is a Microsoft technology and that it is less popular and less compatible with most of the popular web hosts (including Xisto and Xisto).

P.S. Visual Web Developer express might not be that good, but Microsoft Visual Basic express is quite awesome once you get to read the tutorial and sample projects.

I've looked into it a little. I don't see too many differences between it and other web developing applications, especially when looking at Dreamweaver. The only real advantage I saw in it was ease of working other languages and programs into your website, which is really not all that useful if you aren't running your own server.~Viz

Hmm...seems like microsoft really trying hard to compete dreamweaver? I still prefer dreamweaver over all other programs being released. Maybe Im biased, maybe my reasoning will change when there is a web development can offer me more than what dreamweaver offers me already. =)

I really like the new 2008 version of web developer. Finally microsoft has created an easy way todevelop websites that use CSS to layout the look and feel of a site.

A huge improvement over that annoying theme engine in 2005.

I haven't tried the Visual Studio Express 2008 edition yet. The most annoying this is getting it to install! You need to exit all software and ensure that your Internet connection is working 100% of the time because once the connection is dropped, even for half a second, it never reconnects and you have to delete the temp files and start over again.

Downloaded the DVD version overnight, will install at some point. I hate that the SQL thing has to install with any of the products! Why would I need that?

Microsoft Update always shows updates for Visual Studio Express 2005, seems to update them, but then it says that there are the updates to install, the same ones! Hope this doesn't happen with Visual Studio Express 2008!

Frankly though, I still do prefer an old school programmer's text editor instead of visual wysiwyg-type ones. Call me a fanatic but I never really trusted code generated by visual ide's very much---if ever in the future that I need to use them, I would most likely hand-check the generated code in the end and modify it for maximum cleanliness and efficiency.

I disagree... why not have a function popup the required arguments and variable types... I use MSVS2008EX for my win32 development and it works just fine... You can always create an empty project.... Plus they make the OS, so I trust their headers / vista compatibility / as well as their linkers and compilers..Besides... it's not like the res editor's even included or anything sweet like that....

Yeah...unless you spend alot of time working in ASP .NET, just stick to dreamweaver. It's a much, much better software suite for website management.

Are you joking?! Dreamweaver absolutely sucks! It generates pages which aren't even close to valid HTML 4.01 Transitional (the default option). Make XHTML complaint doesn't really help that much. I would rather write clean XHTML code by hand, it's more efficient and much more fun. For someone used to working in Dreamweaver, it might be a little more time consuming, but it provides many more advantages than using a WYSIWYG editor.

Frankly though, I still do prefer an old school programmer's text editor instead of visual wysiwyg-type ones. Call me a fanatic but I never really trusted code generated by visual ide's very much---if ever in the future that I need to use them, I would most likely hand-check the generated code in the end and modify it for maximum cleanliness and efficiency.

I agree. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all good tutorials and stuff teach you writing code (web development or software programming) by hand first, whether it is C (later C++), Basic, HTML (later XHTML), JavaScript or whatever else you use. Writing code by hand is clean and efficient, you know what you are doing and don't have to rely on the software. If you later decide to move out of Dreamweaver (or Microsoft Visual Studio software), you know what you wrote at least. It is also an excellent learning experience.

Speaking of which, don't you just hate books that's supposed to be a tutorial of sorts for a specific programming language, but actually is a tutorial on how to use an IDE? There was one that I encountered for C#, but only discussed actual relevant C# concepts in the latter ~20% of the book. Majority of the text was on how to use Visual Studio. And you do not even need Visual Studio to program in C#, more so a "Hello World" example!To be fair, the intent might be to instruct those absolutely clueless about the language, but the authors could have been more considerate by not hiding the book under a title that causes people to think the book is something that it isn't. If I wanted a primer on how to use an IDE, i would get a book that specifically says it is on how to use that particular program. Surprises are good in a lot of books like literature and fiction, but most certainly have no place in references for computing.

Edited by altimit (see edit history)

Are you joking?! Dreamweaver absolutely sucks! It generates pages which aren't even close to valid HTML 4.01 Transitional (the default option). Make XHTML complaint doesn't really help that much. I would rather write clean XHTML code by hand, it's more efficient and much more fun. For someone used to working in Dreamweaver, it might be a little more time consuming, but it provides many more advantages than using a WYSIWYG editor.

I don't use Dreamweaver's WYSIWYG capabilities, I mostly use it because I'm a PHP programmer and the autocomplete/intellisense support for PHP in Dreamweaver is superb; as is the split code/wysiwyg feature that lets me see what my CSS changes on the DIV layouts look like in real-time, against several browser engines.

I agree though, and it's not dreamweaver that's the problem: all WYSIWYG editors are ****, some are just shittier.

I don't use Dreamweaver's WYSIWYG capabilities, I mostly use it because I'm a PHP programmer and the autocomplete/intellisense support

yes, perhaps i was less clear... i prefer intellisense/autocomplete to wrestling with computer textbooks and/or trying to memorise every function and structure for whatever platform i'm trying to program