xisto Community
madcrow

Does Anyone Still Run PC/MS/DR-DOS ?

Well, I was just wondering, does anyone here still run DOS other than me? It may not have all that many features (although DR-DOS/OpenDOS do) but it seems to be the most stable thing ever written for the PC, except perhaps the Linux kernel. Plus, it plays all kinds of games that don't work on more "modern" systems.

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Hi madcrow,DOS.. you mean aka..."Dinosaur OPerating System"..er.. just kidding. :PYup.. have coding puters that run DOS exclusively for Batch & ASM programmingRGPHNX

Batch programming? I don't quite see what the point of that is, especially since the batch/scripting services in windoze are as good if not better than the stuff in DOS. As for ASM, that can be done under modern systems too. The only reason I maintain a DOS box is for the games...

I run DosBox under Linux as an alternative to viewing how my console programs would hopefully look under MS-DOS, since if I'm going to write console programs, may as well have it working across different platforms.Other than that, I rarely use DOS at all. Maybe the odd occassion I'll fire it up for something, but it's becoming less frequent.Cheers,MC

Im a gamer so i have every single comp and OS u could think of in my bedroom not to mention an AverKey IMicro (dont ask) so yea i got DOS comps in my room with every action game there is for em (notice: i keep them running cause they take a LONG time to start up) my comps are the oldest IBMS two used for games two for codin and i have an extra that i like to play with and torture (feel free to submit ideas to interstate82man@hotmail.com) its a good thing there not noisy lol otherwise i couldnt sleep THERE RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!! (if you ever need to know anything about comps just contact me :D )also i recommend Scope OS if ur lookin for complicated or just plain easy cause its however u want it;)

Edited by GuySpook (see edit history)

Actually, I just put together a system yesterday running DR-DOS and automatically boots up to a commodore 64 emulator. Why bother with DOS games when the C64's games could spank them any day? (Well, the ones made around the same time)And what IS Scope OS?

I used to install more than one OS on my system, like Linux/xp, linux/XXXX/xp, or other combination, but after I installed those OS, I hardly use them at all, those days lack of drive support is a main reason, so there maybe no sound or 256K display etc. So I realise that what I need is only a xp that I can game, Internet and do some video work on it.

I have to use it daily for the company that I work for, because they still use the doss shell for some of the rateing programs...My Favorite thing to use it for at home is qbasic to play the games...I love monkey, or what ever it is that you throw the explosive bananas.And I still use Qbasic at home to write software for work and or play.I wrote a program not to long ago that would print and file a flight plan for my airplane....But, some of the games that I used to play in DOS can't handle the processor spped that my machine has, and therefore, I am going back through all of my old hardware, and am going to try and build a machine that I can play the game Apollo 18: Mission to the moon on.

I have to use it daily for the company that I work for, because they still use the doss shell for some of the rateing programs...

My Favorite thing to use it for at home is qbasic to play the games...

I love monkey, or what ever it is that you throw the explosive bananas.

And I still use Qbasic at home to write software for work and or play.

I wrote a program not to long ago that would print and file a flight plan for my airplane....

But, some of the games that I used to play in DOS can't handle the processor spped that my machine has, and therefore, I am going back through all of my old hardware, and am going to try and build a machine that I can play the game Apollo 18: Mission to the moon on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Qbasic was the first proggramming language I learned. I remember going in and changing all my Qbasic games as a kid, because they were open source. Then I started writing programs from scratch after studying a book with the syntax.

I was always addicted to that Bouncing Babies game on DOS.

I only use DOS for the commandline interface for batch programs and when something on the network is not operating properly.Without DOS I couldn't do a lot of my work, actually.

I sometimes use MS-DOS, although I use it less now because it is less compatible with disk compression on FAT partitions.I use it sometimes to play games, not much really. :|

I sometimes use MS-DOS, although I use it less now because it is less compatible with disk compression on FAT partitions.I use it sometimes to play games, not much really. :| dukdalf Posted Aug 6 2005, 08:23 PM I only use DOS for the commandline interface for batch programs and when something on the network is not operating properly.Without DOS I couldn't do a lot of my work, actually. foolakadugie Posted Aug 4 2005, 09:23 AM QUOTE(wwheeler @ Jul 9 2005, 06:37 AM)I have to use it daily for the company that I work for, because they still use the doss shell for some of the rateing programs...My Favorite thing to use it for at home is qbasic to play the games...I love monkey, or what ever it is that you throw the explosive bananas.And I still use Qbasic at home to write software for work and or play.I wrote a program not to long ago that would print and file a flight plan for my airplane....But, some of the games that I used to play in DOS can't handle the processor spped that my machine has, and therefore, I am going back through all of my old hardware, and am going to try and build a machine that I can play the game Apollo 18: Mission to the moon on.Qbasic was the first proggramming language I learned. I remember going in and changing all my Qbasic games as a kid, because they were open source. Then I started writing programs from scratch after studying a book with the syntax.I was always addicted to that Bouncing Babies game on DOS. wwheeler Posted Jul 9 2005, 02:37 PM I have to use it daily for the company that I work for, because they still use the doss shell for some of the rateing programs...My Favorite thing to use it for at home is qbasic to play the games...I love monkey, or what ever it is that you throw the explosive bananas.And I still use Qbasic at home to write software for work and or play.I wrote a program not to long ago that would print and file a flight plan for my airplane....But, some of the games that I used to play in DOS can't handle the processor spped that my machine has, and therefore, I am going back through all of my old hardware, and am going to try and build a machine that I can play the game Apollo 18: Mission to the moon on. BlueMountain Posted Jul 9 2005, 12:41 PM I used to install more than one OS on my system, like Linux/xp, linux/XXXX/xp, or other combination, but after I installed those OS, I hardly use them at all, those days lack of drive support is a main reason, so there maybe no sound or 256K display etc. So I realise that what I need is only a xp that I can game, Internet and do some video work on it. madcrow Posted Jun 21 2005, 04:49 PM Heh, I've shifted to the PC DOS camp recently. DR DOS was just too problematic for too many of my games. the empty calorie Posted Jun 12 2005, 03:09 AM Actually, I just put together a system yesterday running DR-DOS and automatically boots up to a commodore 64 emulator. Why bother with DOS games when the C64's games could spank them any day? (Well, the ones made around the same time)And what IS Scope OS? GuySpook Posted Jun 3 2005, 02:59 PM Im a gamer so i have every single comp and OS u could think of in my bedroom not to mention an AverKey IMicro (dont ask) so yea i got DOS comps in my room with every action game there is for em (notice: i keep them running cause they take a LONG time to start up) my comps are the oldest IBMS two used for games two for codin and i have an extra that i like to play with and torture (feel free to submit ideas to interstate82man@hotmail.com) its a good thing there not noisy lol otherwise i couldnt sleep THERE RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!! (if you ever need to know anything about comps just contact me )also i recommend Scope OS if ur lookin for complicated or just plain easy cause its however u want it;) the empty calorie Posted May 10 2005, 10:37 PM I run many OS'es....I like each one's own quirks.. A few are just there for "learning experience" and "this will be a good OS once it matures"...(AROSCP/M-86DR-DOSLinux (Slackware)BeOSAROSPlan 9Solaris mastercomputers Posted Apr 27 2005, 12:26 PM I run DosBox under Linux as an alternative to viewing how my console programs would hopefully look under MS-DOS, since if I'm going to write console programs, may as well have it working across different platforms.Other than that, I rarely use DOS at all. Maybe the odd occassion I'll fire it up for something, but it's becoming less frequent.Dont you think you guys are going a little off the subject Lol