xisto Community
Kyle Perkins

20 Years From Now... Where do you see humanity?

I certainly think a lot of the media's technology ( as in movies or television ) would be the first ones to be invented...For example traveling to the moon and stuff, was something out of this world back then, but due to support by the media, researchers like NASA were able to have enough funds to have a man on the moon....Obviously we already know how advance our current technology will get as time progresses...The cell phone industry is obviously here to stay and they will continue to impress us with newer features to keep us on the line and be more and more dependent on it. (If were not already; personally, I cant live without a cell phone for even a day). My hope is on technology like the one in minority report with tom cruise...One day, we could turn everything on and operate it with just a holographic screen... Hopefully im still alive to witness that technology being a nationwide or worldwide demand and usage.And obviously we all know about the hover cars... If we could find a source that would be harmless to us and also provide such a powerful source of energy to keep a 1 ton car in air for a long time, we will be in business...But most likely, in order to find that type of source, we would need to venture into different planets and find newer elements...Hopefully thats not just a dream to me, even though we have the periodic table of elements, but hopefully there are more elements out there that we could never imagine exist...Chin chin...

Well, I have a rather stark and grim view of the future.

(Can't really blame me, humanity has disappointed me repeatedly)

As we all know, fossil fuel is humanity's 2nd most important source of energy (after food).

Allow let me quote some facts to help support my argument

Here is a webpage with an estimate done earlier in the decade. The numbers are outdated, but I'll get to that in a minute.

Known US Reserves as of 1990: = 36 billion barrels of oil

Total population is 250 million --> 144 barrels per person

Consumption Rate --> 3 billion barrels of oil per year --> 12 barrels per year per person

144/12 --> 12 more years left

By 1995 the Reserve Estimate had dwindled to 22.5 billion barrels of oil and the consumption rate remains the same

22.5/3 = 7.5 years left so we are still on the trajectory

Okay, now for some good news.

Here's a link estimating the oil reserves we have left globally. Keep in mind these numbers are taken at the end of 2001. Assuming the trajectory doesn't change, and the estimate are correct, we have 39 years worth of oil left.

A worst case scenario is the "Third World" aspires to the US consumption rate and this consumption rate then doubles: there would only be 400/24 = 17 years --> Although this is a worst case, most best case scenarios offer a resource exhaustion timescale which is at most 3-4 times this value (e.g. 50-70 years) left.

Okay then, so 50-70 years. so that fits pretty well with the updated numbers we have from 2001. If we have until 2050 before our oil runs out, what source of energy will we be using by then?

Here's is a site that offers an objective view on replacing fossil fuels. I'll attempt to highlight the main points.

In the current circumstances, there is only one technology that comes even within shouting distance of meeting the problems. In fact, the potential of that technology is vastly surplus to the scale of the problem. That technology is nuclear power generation.

The rest of the technologies together may make useful contributions, but they are completely incapable of coming anywhere near to tackling the scale of the energy problem.

And what's wrong with nuclear power? I'll leave you to dwell on that one. If you are stuck and clueless, the site follows up with some explanations that will help a bit.

In short, humanity has nothing up it's sleeve to replace fossil fuel in a safe, economic, effective manner in a time frame of 50 years... correction, 46 years since it is 2005.

Unless we

1) reduce our consumption

2) acquire new technology

3) secure alternate sources of fuel

humanity might be going to wood planks and fire. On a side note, for the extra grim version of the future I have envisioned, please keep reading.

Okay, 40 years have gone by. No breakthroughs, no new sources, population and consumption on the rise.

The dominate global power (probably still the US - if the government haven't bankrupted yet) will attempt to secure the very few sources of fuel left on this planet - obviously with violent means.

A third world war will then commence, and this time I'm sure no nation will be holding back on their nuclear stockpile. Mother earth is left nothing but a smoldering pile of ash that will stay radioactive for centuries to follow.

At least if E.T. stops by he'll learn of our existence (not to mention laugh at our stupidity). Talk about writing history in a blaze of glory.

we talk of how humanity has failed us and how in the next 50 years or so people will fight nuclear wars, but by another decade it will be us youth who will inherit this earth, so if we say tht humanity will indulge in the ghastly act of nuclear holocaust we mean that WE will nuke each other, which i refuse to believe, the younger generation is becoming increasingly aware of the dangers that are plaguing us and most probably will seek to secure them.as for the question for alternate sources of enery, we are still experimenting on the controlled fusion of deuterium which is an isotope of hydrogen and is abundant in the world's oceans. If we can manage to fuse this in a controlled manner we have an almost unlimited supply of energy since ocean water is more or less renewable. I think in the next few decades this dream will become a reality and we will have a new source of energy.by 2050 the US will definitely not be the sole superpower. I read only today that China has stated tht it will NUKE the US if the latter intervenes in Taiwan, the world is already emerging bipolar. Almost all UN and private agencies also say that by 2020 India would have emerged as a superpower greater than Europe and possibly China......we can no longer look at the future as being dominated by the US whose technology is now lagging and which is heavily outsourcing itself to China and India, these Asian countries will emerge as giants and it will be a new game when we have the US as the world police, China as the defiant dragon, and India as underestimated powerhouse.

By 2050 the US will definitely not be the sole superpower.  I read only today that China has stated tht it will NUKE the US if the latter intervenes in Taiwan, the world is already emerging bipolar.  Almost all UN and private agencies also say that by 2020 India would have emerged as a superpower greater than Europe and possibly China......we can no longer look at the future as being dominated by the US whose technology is now lagging and which is heavily outsourcing itself to China and India, these Asian countries will emerge as giants and it will be a new game when we have the US as the world police, China as the defiant dragon, and India as underestimated powerhouse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's probably right, considering China's market is growing at an exponetial rate. However, as for both India and China, the industrial pollution is getting so bad that I can't imagine what will be left of it in 30 years.

As for the younger generation inheriting the planet, it's not necessarily a good thing. The way I see society at the moment, there is a big seperation of classes emerging - especially with the younger generation.

"The rich get richer, the poor get pooer". This scenario is especially dominant in extensively developed countries and cities. If inflation stays on course, the gap will just keep getting bigger. Believe it or not, there are those in the lower classes that despise the upper classes and vice versa. It's not longer a seperation of race alone, it's a seperation of class as well.

A world with no borders, that's should be humanity's ultimate goal.

I don't think there will be radical changes. Of course the computer was a huge milestone. That kind of changes are immense. So probably, the next twenty years most changes will be in fashion and music. Maybe in world-politics. But I don't think there will be heavy nucleair wars. Unless China starts playing around with atom bombs. And naturally computers and related things will be improved and such. And colonising the stars, don't think so. That is something for the 22nd of 23rd age or something.

And I don't know why, but I forgot to mention that we have to find other fuelsources. But I am confident we will and that was mentioned before, so it's not really my fault.

In 20 years? In 20 years, we'll all be dead! For years I've been sticking with the idea that some catastrophic event will happen in 2012. For those of you who are not familiar with the Mayans, they had a calendar. A very, very accurate calendar. And it ends. December 2012. I believe that one of three things will happen in 2012:

1) Some major event will take place in early 2012. Some dictator will anger some monarch. The president will be assassinated. Something. And it will spark a major, global conflict. After several months of fighting, nukes will fly and that will be it.

or

2) Aliens will come and decide they want to build an inter-galactic freeway through our planet and have to demolish earth. :) (Couldn't resist)

or

3) God, in whatever form, will come down and the Appocalypse will occur. AKA. The Book of Revalations.

I'm not saying which I think will be more likely to occur, but you mark my words!

The world will end December 2012!!!

20 years, wow, not too much time for improvement but enough for some drastic effect to occur. I dont believe that all wars are pointless, but I think nuclear bombs are for pansies. If you want to fight a war, then FIGHT it, dont throw things around and kill innocent people/children. I think that everything will be portable, and I believe that people will still fail to notice that our ozone is decomposing (basically), that our rainforest are dying from our obsession with lumber, and that endangered animals that probably have a purpose in scientific discoveries yet to come will become extinct because nobody understands their importance. 20 years from now is just another 20 years for man to destroy this planet even more. Have you ever noticed that man is the only animal that has to adapt this drastically to be able to survive on earth? I'm beginning to think that man is the least intelligent species because or WHAT we've done to this earth. deers dont pollute the air and birds dont kill trees. Sorrie, I must sound like a "Save the Whales" person right now but, these things get to me. I'm not saying that the world will be destroyed, just that I think we'll improve, just the environment itself won't. If that makes any sense.

In 20 years?  In 20 years, we'll all be dead!  For years I've been sticking with the idea that some catastrophic event will happen in 2012.  For those of you who are not familiar with the Mayans, they had a calendar.  A very, very accurate calendar.  And it ends.  December 2012.  I believe that one of three things will happen in 2012:

1) Some major event will take place in early 2012.  Some dictator will anger some monarch.  The president will be assassinated.  Something. And it will spark a major, global conflict.  After several months of fighting, nukes will fly and that will be it.

or

2) Aliens will come and decide they want to build an inter-galactic freeway through our planet and have to demolish earth.  :) (Couldn't resist)

or

3) God, in whatever form, will come down and the Appocalypse will occur.  AKA.  The Book of Revalations.

I'm not saying which I think will be more likely to occur, but you mark my words! 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Man, you should start a religious group! So the world will end because you had a Mayan feeling? Well, if this happens, I'll take it all back, but I must say it sounds like crap. Sorry, I'm too optimistic I guess.

In 20 years?  In 20 years, we'll all be dead!  For years I've been sticking with the idea that some catastrophic event will happen in 2012.  For those of you who are not familiar with the Mayans, they had a calendar.  A very, very accurate calendar.  And it ends.  December 2012.  I believe that one of three things will happen in 2012:

1) Some major event will take place in early 2012.  Some dictator will anger some monarch.  The president will be assassinated.  Something. And it will spark a major, global conflict.  After several months of fighting, nukes will fly and that will be it.

or

2) Aliens will come and decide they want to build an inter-galactic freeway through our planet and have to demolish earth.  :P (Couldn't resist)

or

3) God, in whatever form, will come down and the Appocalypse will occur.  AKA.  The Book of Revalations.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok ok so all jokes aside , ...you realy realy realy beleibe that crap??

smh come on dude be real think again, I mean think man!!!!

I bet ya not even all mayans beleived it, and you`re LIVING (sounds like that anyway) by it ???

Get real man :)

while i personally do not believe in the mayan calendar, i do not think pathofneo is 'unreal' in believing it. do we all have to follow the georgian calendar set up by the Christian West? i do not think so. if someone believs in the mayan, aztec, or vedic calendar they have every right to do so without westernised purists asking them to get real. what makes u think you're own calendar is true? or not inspired by earlier calendars for that matter?anyways, no i do not think Humanity will end anytime soon, and anytime soon for me extends for a remarkably long period. speaking of calendars and time measurements i believe in the ancient vedic dating systems and according to them mankind goes through waves of peaks and valleys, currently is the period where the cycle of time is such that we are experiencing a bad reign, but we are not going to end.....come 12000 AD (yes we will survive that long) Humanity will reach a peak again, a Utopian crest if u will..

20 years from now we may be short of resources and many species of animals might be dead....i do not knowwhat i do know is that the human society would have become more mechanised. increasingly people have less time for themselves, spending more time on their work and earning a living. 20 years from now even if we would be unsuccessful in creating humans out of robots we would have created robots out of humans...

Always look on the bright side of life. I don't think the world will be as lifeless as you describe it. I think the future will bring us advanced technologies and things. I think in the future people are healthier and happier and don't have to work as hard as they do nowadays.

while i personally do not believe in the mayan calendar, i do not think pathofneo is 'unreal' in believing it.  do we all have to follow the georgian calendar set up by the Christian West? i do not think so.  if someone believs in the mayan, aztec, or vedic calendar they have every right to do so without westernised purists asking them to get real.  what makes u think you're own calendar is true? or not inspired by earlier calendars for that matter?

anyways, no i do not think Humanity will end anytime soon, and anytime soon for me extends for a remarkably long period.  speaking of calendars and time measurements i believe in the ancient vedic dating systems and according to them mankind goes through waves of peaks and valleys, currently is the period where the cycle of time is such that we are experiencing a bad reign, but we are not going to end.....come 12000 AD (yes we will survive that long) Humanity will reach a peak again, a Utopian crest if u will..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Listen up Dude!!, when I told him to get real I didn`t mean about the mayan calendar ITSELF as in the time measuring, what I ment was "The Fact That The Mayan Calendar Goes No Ferder Then Dec 2012" and that "HIS" interpretation of that is what he stated as "The World Will End December 2012!!!.Soooo to that statement I said and Will say Again "Get Real".

Got it?? ThnX

El