xisto Community
Kyle Perkins

20 Years From Now... Where do you see humanity?

Hey everyone, I've been thinking about the future recently, and just wonder what people think life will be like 20 years from now (or 30, 50, 100, years...you choose). Will we be colonizing the stars? Or glowing green from nuclear bomb attacks.I think 20 years from now, two small nuke-toting countries will blow themselves up in some war, probably over religion. Most of humanity will realize how horrific nuclear weapons are, and ban them (though, you'll still have some idiots who refuse, of course). Hopefully, we'll begin devoting energy into bettering our society and preserving out planet, rather than destroying anyone with different beliefs than us.Of course, what do I know. I like to think that we change for the better, but we might just start "the war to end all wars."-Kyle

heh yeah i think in 20 years some kinda war is gonna bust out about the STUPIDEST thing known to man. but also in 20 years, we are gonna have extreme advances in technology, so i think that will be awesome to live in such a technological world where you can do almost anything on line and such.

I agree that there will be nuclear attacks, but I don't think they'll be anytime soon. If someone dropped a nuclear bomb, life would end in that area forever. The initial site that was bombed would be wiped out and nobody would ever be able to return again. It's like the nuclear testing on the Marshall Islands, people still can't live around there because of the radioactivity. If a nuclear attack occured soon, God help us all because all Hell would break loose with all the countries around the world who have nuclear weapons. Us of course, would want to go fight another "War on Terror" and would bomb anyone we thought might be involved. I hope that there is never a "War to End All Wars," but you never know what the future holds.

That is absolutely true. Any chunk of dirt touched by the bomb is pretty much useless until the radioactivity goes away. This planet is already too small for our growing population, so things would get a lot worse if we start destroying land by irradiating it.-Kyle

Hopefully, we would've colonized Mars so that our ever-growing population could split up and live on two planets (maybe a summer home and winter home for the wealthier folk???). Maybe we'll find signs of life on Mars, and we'll befriend the little green men living there... okay, I'm only being half-serious. Nonetheless, if there are other living beings in the universe, I hope we don't kill them off to take their resources, that we align with them for a greater good for all. If they have more advanced technology, the only way we could improve ourselves would be to learn from them and not steal from them.

Hopefully, we would've colonized Mars so that our ever-growing population could split up and live on two planets (maybe a summer home and winter home for the wealthier folk???).

Maybe we'll find signs of life on Mars, and we'll befriend the little green men living there... okay, I'm only being half-serious. Nonetheless, if there are other living beings in the universe, I hope we don't kill them off to take their resources, that we align with them for a greater good for all. If they have more advanced technology, the only way we could improve ourselves would be to learn from them and not steal from them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And perhaps the pollution caused by all the rockets launching into outer space will cause massive climate change because of global warming.

But that will probably have already happened, because of the large amounts of cars, factories etc releasing tons of CO2 into the atmosphere. And the fact that the US hasn't ratified the Kyoto Protocol.

For those of us "oldies" on the forum , perhps the best way to guess at what the world will be like in twenty years would be to look at the predictions made 20 years ago, and see how many came true and how many fizzled.I will see if I can get a paper from that time, and see what predictions were made in 1985.As I remember aside from major changes in technology (Internet, PC's, Biotechnology, Genetic) things were not that much different. And many of the fears at the time did not come to pass.Regards

And many of the fears at the time did not come to pass.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like the millenium bug (or Y2K as you Americans called it). I can remember there was a load of panic about it. Everyone was worried about absolutely everything not working, planes crashing, banks loosing everyone's money in a massive computer fault, etc, etc.

In the end, practically nothing happened. It was really silly.

You will never be able ot get america to get rid of its nukes.whats the statistic ? how many do they have ? i cant remember.The reason you need nukes...if someone nukes you... atleast you can nuke them back..you still die... but when has there ever been any common sence in Weapons of mass destruction.ANyways... in 20 years, i see myself middle aged ( scary )and thinking about how my mobile phone has more porcessing power than my first good old amd64 3400+

While you're on the subject of the technological develepment mobile phones you might find this (https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18024173-900-3d-tv-as-youve-never-seen-it/) intersting. You can't read it all unless you subscribe, nut it goes on to say how Japanese mobile phones currently are adopting the technology, and how the menus, etc are 3D, and "pop out" into the users face, etc. Its quite interesting. It would be great if that technology would be in everything, so we could watch 3D TV, etcAlso, I think that America would have more nukes than ever, and would still be no closer to world peace. Greenpeace (woo! go greenpeace!) would be protesting against them 24/7 and the world be on the brink of massive climate change (as I said earlier) and the population would be much, much, much larger than it is now.

Not too much will change. Possibly some new innovations in technology, but environmentally and politically, the world will still be total chaos/hell for everyone. I don't see anything changing majorly. No colonization of other planets. I think we'll be lucky if we are converted over to hydrogen fuel by then

The cover story for Popular Mechanics was about this same topic, only it was 25 years into the future http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Here's a peak at what the article says:

America 2025

DNA computers, robot fighter jets, hydrogen cars, supernetworked homes, a Netcentric Battlespace, nanosurgery, manned missions

to Mars-PM consults the experts to paint a fascinating portrait of the way we'll live in 20 years.

It says more about the difference in homes, transportation, military, space travel, and medical advances.

I think that it is going to be a nasty place in 20 years because people are caring less and less but things are going to be helped by people in clubs I think people better start taking care of this earth before we end up killing it off then we will be up a creek that is why you should help with all ecology and things that will help encourge things and get the ball moving your self Peace out ymmij

The Millenium Bug was marvelous, gave me a tour of the country looking for it

Notice how "experts" and "consultants" move from one item of scare to another. With Y2K it was "all care, no responsibility" and they could not lose.

Like the millenium bug (or Y2K as you Americans called it). I can remember there was a load of panic about it. Everyone was worried about absolutely everything not working, planes crashing, banks loosing everyone's money in a massive computer fault, etc, etc.

In the end, practically nothing happened. It was really silly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>